what is the best kicking art ?

I can't recall the event, but I saw a K-1 tourney with guy winning knockout from low backkicks to his opponents thigh. He did it several times.

BAsically, his opponent couldn't continue fighting, less standing even. Anyone, recall this?

talking.dingo said:
I can't recall the event, but I saw a K-1 tourney with guy winning knockout from low backkicks to his opponents thigh. He did it several times.

BAsically, his opponent couldn't continue fighting, less standing even. Anyone, recall this?

was it against some JPN boxer ?

They've been secretly developing a type of taekwando that'll adapt for MMA here in the Philippines. The kicks are the same, but they've added boxing and submissions as well. What do you guys think? You think this would work?

I've heard ITF TKD is very effective. I came across two practitioners and they weren't a joke.

They also said that they know if a few people who have done ITF TKD and transitioned into Muay Thai and done alright too.

Hmm, the ITF TKD guys reckon olympic TKD is shit

laz0001 said:
I hate people like you. What do you think of olympic tkd?
Reminds me of two retards trying to hump a door knob. i have nothing against people training TKD as a sport (in fact my mum does it), but its competition format is a joke, I've sparred with people who were champions at TKD point competitions and they were frankly hopeless, no leg kick defence no guard could'nt punch worth a damn. My Sombo instructor actually holds a bb in TKD but claims as soon as he started studying kickboxing he just completely ignored it as almost useless.

I saw an old K-1 a few years ago, was around 95 I think, I remember a capoiera guy turning up and fighting a kickboxer, I think it was Barnardos but could'nt swear to it. He took a kick to the neck cos he had his hands swinging around at shoulder height, got back up and did the same thing with his hands. Took another kick to the neck and this time was out cold, whole thing must have been around 30 seconds.

stav said:
TKD and Karate for variation of kicks although for Competition TKD does emphasise kicks where in Karate point sparring system point are given for hand techniques as well as legs.

But essentialy the kicks that both styles do are identical...at least in my dojo.
TKD kicks and Karate kicks are actually very different.

SKD said:
Hmm, the ITF TKD guys reckon olympic TKD is shit
Yes, some of them do, but ITF TKD is point fighting with no contact, so that should tell you something.

Most ITF guys are pretty technicians first and foremost. They don't like olympic competition because it's not clean.

SmashiusClay said:
Reminds me of two retards trying to hump a door knob. i have nothing against people training TKD as a sport (in fact my mum does it), but its competition format is a joke, I've sparred with people who were champions at TKD point competitions and they were frankly hopeless, no leg kick defence no guard could'nt punch worth a damn. My Sombo instructor actually holds a bb in TKD but claims as soon as he started studying kickboxing he just completely ignored it as almost useless.
TKD doesn't have "point competitions", other than for children, and some smaller offshoot federations.

WTF competition and the Olympics are full contact.

You're right, it is a sport with defined rules, and not an approximation of real fighting. But let's get the facts straight.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
WTF competition and the Olympics are full contact.

You're right, it is a sport with defined rules, and not an approximation of real fighting. But let's get the facts straight.

Good post. Thank you.

Well, for what it's worth, I'll give you my opinion.

I honestly think, for pure stand-up, Muay Thai is the best martial art, with boxing as a very close second. I'm biased towards MT because I had the privilege of having my ass kicked by a Thai boxer from Thailand.

In Muay Thai competition, you will usually only see the teep (front) kick, and the roundhouse. And this isn't because Muay Thai isn't "advanced" enough to use kicks like side kicks, spin kicks, etc. (When I was more naive I used to think San Shou was better because it had more kicks)

The reason behind this is because these two kicks minimize your chance of exposing your back and hamstrings. In MT competition, if I'm not mistaken, there are very few spots on the body you're not allowed to hit, and the back is not one of them. You can be kicked in the kidneys I believe. But if I'm wrong, you can still be kicked in the hamstrings, which will take you out pretty fast. You can still see other kicks used in MT competition, but they are more rare for this reason. If you just use the teep and roundhouse, you can stay facing your opponent.

What's also really convenient is in Muay Thai, your front leg needs to be squared off with your opponent, so you can properly check leg kicks. This carries over really well into MMA because any good wrestler will tell you that you need to be squared off to properly defend takedowns.

The kicks from TKD are definitely awesome. And I don't think there'd be anything wrong with putting some of those kicks into MMA. But I would never study pure TKD for stand-up. You'd need to mix it with something.

The title of the thread though is "What is the best KICKING art?" Not "What is the best striking or stand-up art."

To some degree there is a fair amount of interpretation there. But personally I'd take it to ask solely, which MA has the best kicks. Otherwise you'd have some of the grappling arts that have a kick or two mentioned as they've 'beat' the kicking arts in a streetfight.

If I were looking to take a TMA solely to improve my kicks, I'd do Olympic style TKD for a bit. Just like if I were looking to clean up my punching I'd focus solely on boxing. Yes, MT beats boxing. But which has the best punches? Boxing hands down (no pun intended).

Taking it the same way, I'd go Olympic style TKD for kicking (if you are only looking for kicking).

If you want a practical kicking style, I would go with MT or Kyokushin Karate. If you are looking for kicking from an aesthetic viewpoint, take Capoeira.

chlorox said:
If you want a practical kicking style, I would go with MT or Kyokushin Karate. If you are looking for kicking from an aesthetic viewpoint, take Capoeira.
Considering that both Kyokushin and TKD developed from Karate, what makes Kyokushin kicks more "practical"?

There is very little difference between Kyokushin kicks and TKD kicks, though in my experience proper TKD kicks tend to be a bit more fluid and make more use of the kicks.

TKD is not a complete martial art, but what is? MT lacks more advanced punching, boxing has no kicking, TKD has almost no punching, and all striking arts lack grappling. so the point is not about TKD being an incomplete art. and lets not turn this into a "tkd doesn't work in mma" thread because that's not the question. and just because your experience with ONE tkd fighter has be less than impressive, doesn't mean tkd as a whole sucks. it's like saying just because someone beats a fighter from your school and declares EVERYONE in your school/gym sucks balls.

i don't know what the best kicking art is because i haven't trained in EVERY kicking martial arts. but i do know this, since TKD's focus is almost all kicking, i'd bet your kicks will be really technical and you'll have alot more types of kicks in your arsenal. i have noticed TKD kicks are fast as hell and elusive. since there are so many kicks, you don't know what to expect or from what angle. The beauty in MT kicks is in its simplicity. you have your rear/lead round house and rear/lead leg kicks, and the power behind the kicks are awesome. you might know what's coming, but can you stop it or take the pain, that is the question. they all have something to offer, pick the one that fits your style.

I'd practice Kyokoshin because it's more well rounded (punches are included) and the full contact fighting tournaments.

Back