what is the best kicking art ?

I do TKD, so I'm biased, but TKD is more practical than Capoeira. It's probably got the most technical and wide range of kicks. That said it suffers from no true "proper" sparring, no knees and no low kicks, something that MT has over it.

Capoeira is more of a game than a practical martial art. You goal isn't to hit the other person as much as it is to slyly and playfully dodge the other persons slow as hell kick.

Yes, capoeira is just an exhibition. It's practically a dance, for sure not a martial art.

From a real world stand point I would have to say MT kickboxing is the most practical.

Both TKD and Capoeira are more for "show" then real world use. However of those two I would have to say TDK can be used more efectivly on the streets and in the MMA ring / cage.

Best striking art is still MT. But if we're just talking about best kicks I'd have to go with TKD (Olympic style).

"what is the best kicking art?"

It all depends on what you want to acheive

i kickbox and i guy i train with is a tkd convert (black belt i believe) and his kick fuck shit up hardcore

TKD and Capoeira are both most certainly fighting arts. Capoeiras' resemblence to dancing is a result of it's history and origins in Afro-Brazilian slave culture.

TKD has a diverse and impressive arsenal of of powerful kicks. Anyone here claiming that TKD is just for show, or that the kicks are flashy but lack power and have little or no practical application in real fighting, have never soaked up any kicks thrown by a TKD fighter who knew what he was doing, period.

I don't know know too much about Capeira other than to say that from what I've seen of skilled practitioners, I would damn sure not want one of them to connect their foot to my head. Having said that, I think Capoeira is probably decidedly less practical and certainly would take a lot longer to get good at. I guess the upside: how the *hell* do you counter some dude doing somersaults, backflips, and cartwheels?! You could probably win by befuddling your opponent into submission.

Savate has excellent kicking. Then again so does Muay Thai.

Iceman5592 said:
That was one of the coolest videos of TKD I have ever seen.

I'm gald you liked it as I thought no one had seen it :D

Though the muay thai roundhouse is a very deadly kick i still have to say hands down its Olympic Taekwondo.

Everything we do revolves around kicking, not just practicing the kicks, but strategies for landing them, footwork based on landing kicks, and pin point precision accuracy.

Whenever i spar muay thai and karate fighters, they sure kick hard and fast but im so used to fighting against kicks that they either miss or i block or counter them. From what i see of top level guys, well they are just sick...i swear my instructor could decapitate me.

I will say this, when i do spar muay thai guys there are alot of things i have to adjust, i have alot of trouble doing spinning roundhouses (nadabams). The fighting distance changes cuz of punches allowed and lowkicks, and double kicks get jammed easy , thus i revert to basic roundhouses, axe kicks and back kicks.

I think the accuracy one develops through tkd is phenomanal, you can pretty much tag solar plexus with your back kick at will and floating ribs with your roundhouses. You dont need a ton of power to drop people if you are accurate.

Bizz said:
Both TKD and Capoeira are more for "show" then real world use.

I wouldn't pit TKD as a total style against much on the street. But I would beg to differ with you on the usefulness of its component kicks for causing real damage.

Here's a short (3 sec) clip of an out of shape duffer for reference.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5JNNS9D4
(not nearly as spectacular as the initial poster's clips but for more 'streetable' with running shoes and jeans)

I should have some footage of the same trick with basic roundhouses. It's a cheap parlor trick and no real accomplishment but the point is that there is some decent power behind them despite a showy factor or sport type chambering of the kicks.

If your just talking about pure kicks TKD > Capoeira. TKD is probably the only martial art where people do nothing but kick, kick and kick more non-stop. Capoeira shares some similar kicks but more emphasis is put on acrobatics and footwork and evasive style manevers.

KOU In3 said:
I wouldn't pit TKD as a total style against much on the street. But I would beg to differ with you on the usefulness of its component kicks for causing real damage.

Here's a short (3 sec) clip of an out of shape duffer for reference.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5JNNS9D4
(not nearly as spectacular as the initial poster's clips but for more 'streetable' with running shoes and jeans)

I should have some footage of the same trick with basic roundhouses. It's a cheap parlor trick and no real accomplishment but the point is that there is some decent power behind them despite a showy factor or sport type chambering of the kicks.

Imagine if he hit the pole. Lmao.

TKD and Karate for variation of kicks although for Competition TKD does emphasise kicks where in Karate point sparring system point are given for hand techniques as well as legs.

But essentialy the kicks that both styles do are identical...at least in my dojo.

For those that doubt TKD kicks and there effectivness in mma just ask Charles McCathy that walked into David Loiseau's spinning back kick in UFC 53. Loiseau is very proud of his TKD background.

After this particualr fight Rogan asked David if the spinning back kick is somthing he has been working on latley and David responded that he is a TKD Black Belt and has been doing it all his life.

Alot of the kicking techniques are very efective when u supplament them with other styles of fighting.

We hadnt seen a single high kick Knockout in UFC till Pete williams laid one on Mark Coleman in UFC 17...2 YEARS after the UFC started. I remember that the comentators of the time doubted the effectivness of the high kick in MMA at the time b/c no one was using it effectivley, but now we have fighters like Cro Cop who ppl that enter the ring fear his high kick due to his proven record of effectivley using them in MMA.

TaeKwonDo, axekick and sidekick/backkick some most useful moves in a kicker's repertoire

Brand Nizzle said:
Imagine if he hit the pole. Lmao.

If the beer bottle didn't hurt, the pole couldn't be that bad (with shoes. I wouldn't want to go kicking poles barefoot though). :icon_cry2

Back