What is the absolute best training for flexibility?

penguinsfan

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a new MMA student, doing it more for recreation than anything else. Anyway, I do envy those that can do headkicks with ease.

I am so stiff in my hamstrings, groin, and most of the rest of my lower body that I can only kick knee high. Even waist high gets the hip joints hurting.

What is the best training material to make me incredibly flexible, enable easy headkicks, and add overall flexibility too?

Thanks.

I heard that living on the South Pole for a year increases flexibility.

Yoga. Not only will it help your kicks, but your BJJ.

That being said, you either love it or hate it, I love it, but I'm sure 5 guys after me will hate it. They incorporate it into training at my gym, but that's rare. Check out Youtube for some good vids.

Yoga is actually great, only tried it out a couple times a week for a month. It makes you feel good and relaxed. A friend of mine instructs yoga and im not sure what level shes at but I dont know anyone more flexible. She can damn near stand on her own head.

Most knowledgeable people who have a problem with yoga hold that sentiment because it encourages increased flexibility in places where you'd be better off increasing stability (knee and lower back joints come to mind).

Its more technique than flexiblity imo. I know people who are flexible as shit (like Yoga type people) but I doubt they could even kick me to the torso let alone the head.

You have to launch the leg and go for it, this is hard because it feels like you'll fall on your ass if you go for it but you'll get used to it. Also another thing that gets my high kicks higher is doing a little skip before the kick but I dont recommend doing this in sparring.

kick repeatedly with proper technique. 5 million times.

warm up and stretch before and after.

1) Probably 20 to 30 minutes of dynamic and static stretches after a 5 min warmup (run or whatever to get the blood flowing through the body)
2) Do hundreds, maybe thousands of kicks
3) Finish the workout with more stretching

Lastly, find some way to stretch daily.

Oly's and atg back / front squatting have increasd my lower body's flexibility immensely, I had to start over and work back up in weight (and I'm still a sally thus far :D).

Yoga definately helped, but, moreso I just incorporated PWO stretches From yoga into an every day routine. Versus 45 minutes of Static-holding poses.

i've heard some people say swings increase your functional ROM inmany areas. i haven't been doing them long enough to give any personal feedback though.

You don't have to be flexible to do headkicks. My flexibility sucks (can't even touch my toes if I lean over, with my legs straight), but I can easily kick head high. It's all about technique.

I disagree. Technique is definately a factor but there is no way the average person can just do head kicks with little or no flexibility.

You don't have to be flexible to do headkicks. My flexibility sucks (can't even touch my toes if I lean over, with my legs straight), but I can easily kick head high. It's all about technique.

This is true also. If a person is older they need to stretch out a lot though. Late 20s and early 30s like me and you can hurt your hammy or calf (depending on the kick) real easy by throwing it full power. So, just to kick high is probably the wrong motive to stretch out but keeping the muscles pliable is a better mindset.

i did yoga in highschool 2 times a week and it really helped my flex not strength i stoped doing it for no real reason but if nothing ilse it deffinatly helped me feel less sore

If I had a dollar for every flexability thread in the last six months it would pay for the mobility book I just ordered.

That being said use the search function

Its more technique than flexiblity imo. I know people who are flexible as shit (like Yoga type people) but I doubt they could even kick me to the torso let alone the head.

You have to launch the leg and go for it, this is hard because it feels like you'll fall on your ass if you go for it but you'll get used to it. Also another thing that gets my high kicks higher is doing a little skip before the kick but I dont recommend doing this in sparring.

I do realize that good technique and pushing the comfort zone are elements of it. Yet, I am so tight I don't think I could do it with even the best of instruction, anytime soon.

Back