What is Gracie Barra, Alliance, Brasa

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know who the different people are and how the different organisations begun but what I don't understand is what each different organisation defines their bjj as. What makes a Gracie Barra gym different from an Alliance gym apart from the name.

To me it seems more dependant on the particular gym/instructor rather than the organisation.

The main exception to that rule is that Gracie Jiu Jitsu gyms directly affiliated to Royce, Rorion etc tend to be very old school and traditional. Direct Carlson gyms (not including DLR gyms) tend to be very top orientated.

So in general these organisation battles make little sense, where as battles between schools do make sense.

an oversimplification:

Gracie Acadmey (i.e Rorion): teaches very very old school jiu jitsu.

Humaita (Royler and to an extent Rickson) Focuses on the fundamentals but acknowledges that jiu jitsu is evolving and tries to adapto to the times

Barra: Very good guards (alot of the first innovators in sport jiu jitsu guards originated here: gordo, roletta, travern (iirc) ) great sweeps.

Carlson Gracie: Carlson RIP was the FIST one to admit that when there is a time limit and people are as knowlageable in jiu jitsu as you.. you need to be stronger than him. Carlson was the first one to combine power and jiu jitsu

Alliance/brasa/nine nine/ect: Basically everyone who is under the original jacare. They are the about combining speed+ funadmental technique.

an oversimplification:

Humaita (Royler and to an extent Rickson) Focuses on the fundamentals but acknowledges that jiu jitsu is evolving and tries to adapto to the times

Barra: Very good guards (alot of the first innovators in sport jiu jitsu guards originated here: gordo, roletta, travern (iirc) ) great sweeps.

Carlson Gracie: Carlson RIP was the FIST one to admit that when there is a time limit and people are as knowlageable in jiu jitsu as you.. you need to be stronger than him. Carlson was the first one to combine power and jiu jitsu

Alliance/brasa/nine nine/ect: Basically everyone who is under the original jacare. They are the about combining speed+ funadmental technique.

pretty good explanation.

can I just add Nova Uniao, not the same super power that they once were, but still very good. focus on half guard and lapel sweeps and chockes. very much the small man's game. Now a days more MMA focused

actually i was gonna add NU but... i don't think that they are "big" enough to compete with the likes of alliance,barra

but then again so was jacare. Carlson and Rolls shared schools and carlson would teach on certain days and rolls would teach on certain days.

well, NU mentor (dede) is a carlson black belt, and so is wendell. but (like carlinhos) they have mutated to their own style a long time ago. Carlson is a lot more of a powerfull style of fighting were dede is a guard player, as you can see by most of their projects: leo santos, shaolin, bruno bastos, robson moura, feijao, etc..

As for them not being up there with Gracia Barra, Aliance until 2 years ago only had marcelinho, and this year (and to an extent last year) they boomed again. Brasa had great years in 2006 and 2007 and this year not so much.. let's also not forget that a lot of brasa's men and NU man are lower class people, mainly from the favela's and GB boys are from upper class, as such, it is a lot easier for the GB guys to travel to the us for the mundial

oh! by the way, don't mean (by any means) deminish GB as a team, they are definately one of the best, and their "upper class" status does not deminish that in any way. I love to watch the GB boys, specially the old school

Add to the the top game emphasis and a strong reliance on the basic principles of BJJ. Marcus Soares, carlson gracies highest black was here last Saturday and he was saying how much he hates the idea of pulling guard. Work from top and keep posture was a mantra of the day.

an oversimplification:

That's it! But in the gracie barra I train we improve our stamina and power too (the other guy will know jiu jitsu too). I think the Gracie Academy style is based on the assumption that the other guy doesn't know any type of ground game.

Add to the the top game emphasis and a strong reliance on the basic principles of BJJ. Marcus Soares, carlson gracies highest black was here last Saturday and he was saying how much he hates the idea of pulling guard. Work from top and keep posture was a mantra of the day.

Ive had this drilled into me too - Guard jumping is frowned upon. Basically for people that cant do takedowns and cant defend takedowns.

I've been railing against these sort of classifications for the last year. While Blanko's oversimplified description may have been true at one time, it no longer holds water. The various schools and organizations have had so much cross-training and exposure to each other that there really isn't that much of a difference in the technique or philosophy taught. For example, (for all you Carlson Gracie guys) I don't see Prof. De la Riva winning any matches with his crushing top game and enormous power.

yea but the threadstarted cleary wanted "broad stereytypes" so i posted an oversimplification.

But i will say this... The Humaita guys and Alliance guys definiately fit my stereotype.

I'm a Barra student under Braulio Estima but my game is very top orientated. Braulio really knows how to help you work your own game and adapt to your own physical attributes too.

I've never trained at another Barra gym but i guess each one differs from place to place. Ours is located underneath a hardcore weights gym so we're encouraged to take time to work on strength/power etc too. Especially as one of our brown belts is massively into his performance training too.

PS i wouldnt say pulling guard is a bad thing when you make it look this good ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKVEsdmVp58&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKVEsdmVp58&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm a Barra student under Braulio Estima but my game is very top orientated. Braulio really knows how to help you work your own game and adapt to your own physical attributes too.

I've never trained at another Barra gym but i guess each one differs from place to place. Ours is located underneath a hardcore weights gym so we're encouraged to take time to work on strength/power etc too. Especially as one of our brown belts is massively into his performance training too.

PS i wouldnt say pulling guard is a bad thing when you make it look this good ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKVEsdmVp58&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKVEsdmVp58&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7q0wH0NJ9s&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7q0wH0NJ9s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that leads to a bad guard game.. :wink:

Only if you dont practice your gward game, its just the jumping that seems to highlight the lack of standup abilities. Although a good guard jumper can make some pretty spectacular takedowns - but most seem to jump and then drag rather shabbily.

Back