What is going on here!?

I work in online marketing and I'm pretty confident that there is hype/astroturfing/"growth hacking" going on with these guys in order to boost their profile. Which is not at all to say that they aren't legit fighters.

But since interest/profile is a large part of getting big fights, big paydays, and the other benefits that come with fame as a fighter, it makes sense that some might be outright investing it and gaming it, exactly in the same way that people promote anything else online.

Sometimes that's self/star charisma driven (ie Conor) and sometimes there's a hidden marketing machine behind it studying the data and acting accordingly.

Americans and divas are sitting out the big fights or losing the big ones they do fight. MMA fans like whoever is the best, from whatever country. Africa and Russia seem to have tons of good fighters in the ufc right now.

Google does wonders to look things up.

Yeah, I was going to remark similarly.

MMA is global, and therefore you will have global champions and global contenders. Sometimes it feels like a certain gym is dominating, other times it feels like certain countries are particularly strong.

I think OP needs to check his confirmation bias, because last I checked there is only one current champion from Eastern Europe. If I was going to arbitrarily pick out a geographic area of note I would pick the Indo-Australian plate, who hold champions in two weight classes, and serious threats (and a former champion) in two others.

As for future prospects... we'll see. I count one hype train.

I am not talking about champions but the general percentage of fighters getting in to MMA as young men. By North America, I mean America and Canada.

lol

this guy has some seriously weird threads.

I dunno where you been the last 20 yrs but eastern european countries best athletes tend to go to fighting instead of basketball baseball and football and have been a constant presence.

Ever heard of Fedor,the Kliitschkos,Golovkin?

Wow Khabib,Yan have belts,and almost every div has 2 or 3 contenders from that part of the world? My god what a revelation

WHAT.IS.GOINGS.ON.CHYEAH

You are proving my point and weird or not, you seem to enjoy immersing yourself in to my threads. So put some respect to my name. You are Fedor fan? I train sambo and judo which gives me a sense of pride and validation that my time dedicated to an art form is represented by men of great substance. So you have to feel that this is something a person can take interest and find commonality.

You are proving my point and weird or not, you seem to enjoy immersing yourself in to my threads. So put some respect to my name. You are Fedor fan? I train sambo and judo which gives me a sense of pride and validation that my time dedicated to an art form is represented by men of great substance. So you have to feel that this is something a person can take interest and find commonality.
Ok well i dont understand a "hey..there sure are alot of russians around here" thread

I mean,welcome to 2005 bud

I work in online marketing and I'm pretty confident that there is hype/astroturfing/"growth hacking" going on with these guys in order to boost their profile. Which is not at all to say that they aren't legit fighters.

But since interest/profile is a large part of getting big fights, big paydays, and the other benefits that come with fame as a fighter, it makes sense that some might be outright investing it and gaming it, exactly in the same way that people promote anything else online.

Sometimes that's self/star charisma driven (ie Conor) and sometimes there's a hidden marketing machine behind it studying the data and acting accordingly.

Are you talking about Russian marketing firms that Rogan talks about?

I mean instead of politics they are fanning the flames of MMA is what I am talking about.

Also to give you context, I live in a part of Canada that in 2005, there was an MMA gym in every corner, in every part of town. Even traditional martial artists were doing MMA classes or conditioning. Old ladies knew guys like John Alessiou or Mac Danzig.

Now there is barely any MMA gyms in our town. BJJ gyms are doing well though so that's the only difference.

Americans and divas are sitting out the big fights or losing the big ones they do fight. MMA fans like whoever is the best, from whatever country. Africa and Russia seem to have tons of good fighters in the ufc right now.

I don't know much about Africa, many different countries in Africa so its hard for me to have an opinion.

Google does wonders to look things up.

Google doesn't have specify commands champ!

Ok well i dont understand a "hey..there sure are alot of russians around here" thread

I mean,welcome to 2005 bud

Look here mate, in 2005, my town was FULL of MMA gyms until 2012.

After 2012, things changed slowly, some of the gyms became BJJ dojos because people realized they like grappling more so than sparring and they don't want to show up to work with black eye. Other MMA gyms closed down for good.

Now life goes by fast, I closed my eyes and its 2020 and my mind is stuck in a past a bit in regards to MMA. Like now I am curios to know what is the driving factor with the up rise of MMA in the counties I mentioned.

I am not trying to be an asshole here nor am I being difficult. I just want to know what is motivating other countries for MMA stardom and what value system have we lost that has discouraged folks in North America to pursue MMA.

@Zebra Cheeks

just wondering why my response was deleted from this thread?

It is honestly what I see as the answer to TS’ question. Was from a valid source that illustrated the concept well.

Excuse my perhaps dumb question but when you say North Americans do you mean anyone with USA passport? or strictly those in the North of the United States?

Cos 6 of the current P4P top 15 fighters are from USA, not including Usman. 1 is Russian. I suppose they are not all young though.

I mean fighters from America and Canada.

COME AT ME BRO

<{cum@me}>

lol. Yeah I know... I didn’t & wouldn’t bother. But the mod in question, should feel ashamed, IMO.

<{hughesimpress}>

Was your post with the dude in the dress?

I thought it was hilarious and didn't seem at all malice in anyway. That and things are changing with teens as well and it is positive and strange in different ways. Male teenagers seem very conscious about their looks and looking very pretty.

In some weird ways, young men are nicer and more friendly while the young ladies are more aggressive and prone to be more cruel.

is there less aspirations for young North Americans to become MMA fighters or are the foreign fighters being sponsored by their government to enrich their culture through MMA accomplishment?

I am not trying to bad mouth North Americans, but it seems that the young men today don't have aspiration for MMA or Kickboxing.
And why would Americans go to MMA or kickboxing when they pay peanuts?

Here is the league minimum pay:
NFL : $495,000.....if you are on the practice squad you still get $8,000 a week!
MLB: $555,000
NBA: $582,000
NHL: $650,000
MLS: $56,000

So why would any American want to get into MMA if they can make it in a legit sport, instead of some circus fighting ran by some big fucking red goof, when the pay is jack shit? Plus the red goof said fighting in the UFC isn't a career, so the people are heeding his word.

EDIT: According to Google, only 187 fighters in the UFC (out of 600+) are making 6 figures. LOL that is only 31% of the fighters making $100,000+. Then you got guys in the legit sports making 10+ million a year easily, without getting poked in the eye or kicked in the nuts. Plus they get 75% off Reebok gear too. LOL

I am not talking about champions but the general percentage of fighters getting in to MMA as young men. By North America, I mean America and Canada.
I would say that the Americas are well represented. No Khabib 2.0, but there can really only be one of those.

Who exactly are you referring to as young prospects? I honestly do not know who is coming out from Eastern Europe that is of any interest, other than Khabib 2.0. Are there any dope hype trains that I am missing?

Maybe the fans of the russian fighters are just making more threads about them?

Back