What is going on here!?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
All the threads seem to be about Dagestan or eastern European fighters. Talk to me, what's going on? I know MMA is global now but is there less aspirations for young North Americans to become MMA fighters or are the foreign fighters being sponsored by their government to enrich their culture through MMA accomplishment?

I am not trying to bad mouth North Americans, but it seems that the young men today don't have aspiration for MMA or Kickboxing.

A plethora of sherdog threads about Dagestani fighters led you to the conclusion that today's young American men don't have aspirations for MMA?

"What is going on here" indeed....

Give me names, any up and coming fighters from America?

Last guy i remembered was Aaron but we saw how that turned out...

All the threads seem to be about Dagestan or eastern European fighters. Talk to me, what's going on? I know MMA is global now but is there less aspirations for young North Americans to become MMA fighters or are the foreign fighters being sponsored by their government to enrich their culture through MMA accomplishment?

I am not trying to bad mouth North Americans, but it seems that the young men today don't have aspiration for MMA or Kickboxing.
Sloppy Americans cannot match the wrestling and skill of the Dageastani fighters.

Sloppy Americans cannot match the wrestling and skill of the Dageastani fighters.

Americans have great base in boxing and wrestling though. I mean in boxing they are the true masters in terms of technical proficiency.

What is his background?
Definitely some form of striking, either boxing or kickboxing. Not entirely sure.

This thread is a bit odd though. The sport started in Japan, blossomed in pride, then exploded in the UFC. USA has never been the dominant country IMO, so I’m not sure why there would be an expectation that we would be even now as the sport gains more international presence

Americans have great base in boxing and wrestling though. I mean in boxing they are the true masters in terms of technical proficiency.
I feel that the best boxers in the ufc right now are likely petr Yan, Dustin Poirer, and Calvin Kattar.

Everyone knows grappling is the best martial art and the one that wins world titles. Look at the history of ufc champions, mainly wrestlers/grapplers.

Excuse my perhaps dumb question but when you say North Americans do you mean anyone with USA passport? or strictly those in the North of the United States?

Cos 6 of the current P4P top 15 fighters are from USA, not including Usman. 1 is Russian. I suppose they are not all young though.

Americans can go to college, or whatever, start a business, and make more money than a lot of ufc fighters.

What the fuck is there else to do for a bunch Eastern Europeans living in the mountains?

Definitely some form of striking, either boxing or kickboxing. Not entirely sure.

This thread is a bit odd though. The sport started in Japan, blossomed in pride, then exploded in the UFC. USA has never been the dominant country IMO, so I’m not sure why there would be an expectation that we would be even now as the sport gains more international presence

I agree, I mean pancrase is the true organization that started MMA and Shootfghting was the true original style of MMA. But I disagree about USA not being dominant. In the 2000s, you had many great american champions like Hughes, Franklin, Mir, Pulver and you had contenders like Sean Sherk gunning for the title. Even Dave Menne was very underrated despite the Baroni loss. Pat and Ken started MMA camps and really churned out top talent. The talents did well in Japan. Don Frye was a guy who fought as a free spirited fighter and was the original fire fighter until Chris Lytle.

I feel that the best boxers in the ufc right now are likely petr Yan, Dustin Poirer, and Calvin Kattar.

Dustin is very good. Joe Riggs was amazing back in the day.

I agree, I mean pancrase is the true organization that started MMA and Shootfghting was the true original style of MMA. But I disagree about USA not being dominant. In the 2000s, you had many great american champions like Hughes, Franklin, Mir, Pulver and you had contenders like Sean Sherk gunning for the title. Even Dave Menne was very underrated despite the Baroni loss. Pat and Ken started MMA camps and really churned out top talent. The talents did well in Japan. Don Frye was a guy who fought as a free spirited fighter and was the original fire fighter until Chris Lytle.

Dustin is very good. Joe Riggs was amazing back in the day.
Yeah and all the best fighters where in Pride at the time you're mentioning. Americans only dominated early 2000s UFC since everyone else went to Pride.

don't know bout the rest of the world .. but the US will def have a huge pocket for a short while ..

fact is kids were/are sucked into the internet like nobody's business .. thats all they care about <Eek2.0><Lmaoo>

and I can't lie .. when the OG Nintendo came out with Mario Bros there was a stupid amount of time on that ...

Rogan had a guy on Tristan and he goes into how it's a huge black hole of pointless time wasted .. instead of working on something "important" ..

Excuse my perhaps dumb question but when you say North Americans do you mean anyone with USA passport? or strictly those in the North of the United States?

Cos 6 of the current P4P top 15 fighters are from USA, not including Usman. 1 is Russian. I suppose they are not all young though.
Yeah, I was going to remark similarly.

MMA is global, and therefore you will have global champions and global contenders. Sometimes it feels like a certain gym is dominating, other times it feels like certain countries are particularly strong.

I think OP needs to check his confirmation bias, because last I checked there is only one current champion from Eastern Europe. If I was going to arbitrarily pick out a geographic area of note I would pick the Indo-Australian plate, who hold champions in two weight classes, and serious threats (and a former champion) in two others.

As for future prospects... we'll see. I count one hype train.

4msiq0.jpg

giphy.gif

lol

this guy has some seriously weird threads.

I dunno where you been the last 20 yrs but eastern european countries best athletes tend to go to fighting instead of basketball baseball and football and have been a constant presence.

Ever heard of Fedor,the Kliitschkos,Golovkin?

Wow Khabib,Yan have belts,and almost every div has 2 or 3 contenders from that part of the world? My god what a revelation

WHAT.IS.GOINGS.ON.CHYEAH

Back