What is being done about Mazzagatti?

John Cena

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why Mazzagatti still has a job as a ref?

Literally, its insane that Mazzagatti gets no punishment for shitty and dangerous reffing.

He has a history of being a terrible ref and still has a license even though Dana and a plethora of people have been very vocal about his reffing. I highly doubt that the athletic commission have not heard of these complaints.

So what exactly has the commision done to police Mazzagatti's dangerous reffing?

Steve doesn't know what the fuck he is doing and he never has control of the fighters. He is a disgrace to the sport.

Well Keizer protected him just to spite Dana and the fighters/fans. I guess his cronies are still in power.

Literally, its insane that Mazzagatti gets no punishment for shitty and dangerous reffing.

He has a history of being a terrible ref and still has a license even though Dana and a plethora of people have been very vocal about his reffing. I highly doubt that the athletic commission have not heard of these complaints.

So what exactly has the commision done to police Mazzagatti's dangerous reffing?

You've been listening to Dana too much.
he's not the worse. Not by far.

And the same way most judges are terrible yet nothing happens to them, nothing will happen to Steve either.
WHile this is a terrible thing, I'd think people already expected nothing to change....

And the same way most judges are terrible yet nothing happens to them, nothing will happen to Steve either.
WHile this is a terrible thing, I'd think people already expected nothing to change....

Doesn't mean that he shouldn't be disciplined

They moved him down to lower level (amatuer) events and he worked his way back up.

If you look at my av that's him. That was taken at a WCK event and I he did the bedt job at that event by far and all the other refs were Thai. You'd think that a Thai ref would do a better job then an american ref...
One of the officials let a fighter take a horrific beating and didn't let the (highly) outclassed guy out of the fight, Mazz reffed a fight that same night and when it was clear fighter A was on his way to a win he stopped the fight to save fighter B from taking more punishment then he needed.
Mazz has made some bad mistakes but all of the guys have. There's a lot of factors that go into stopping a fight/standing guys up/breaking guys up/following all the rules during a fight and while we can be critical of a ref we should not hammer the guys for mistakes all the time.
Other sport have a whole crew of officials, combat sports have only 1 which makes it extremely hard for them to always get everything right.
Id like to see a 2nd ref that walks the perimeter of the cage/ring to assist the incage ref. I think that might improve things a ton with some time (to figure things out)

Mazzagatti is a f*cking toolbox- dana

wait a minute! If something needs to be done, get that herb dean out of here first!

he's having a love child with kim winslow,the resultant spawn of the jbg will turn into a referee in the ufc,then the just bleed god will be satisfied.

Solid post.

He should be held accountable for letting Palhares get away with so many gouges with only a warning. And his stopping the fight was a joke. Jake was already tapping, so what does he do? He joins in and taps Palhares while Jake's arm is breaking.

I think Mazzagati is a clown most of the time too but regarding the Palhares/Shields tap, there was not much he could do.

He told him to release but in that situation Palhares is going to crank as long as he wants to. Mazz can't begin grappling him in defense of Shields. I have seen fighters disobey good refs countless times.

Get rid of Mazzagati but go easy on him for that one IMO.

Hes fairly bad, but every other major ref has made tons of mistakes that he's made. He just gets the most flak for it.

Well Keizer protected him just to spite Dana and the fighters/fans. I guess his cronies are still in power.

nothing will happen to mazz'

can see rousimar getting punished and fined though for the ref falling asleep

And his stopping the fight was a joke. Jake was already tapping, so what does he do? He joins in and taps Palhares while Jake's arm is breaking.

What the fuck did you want him to do? The taps were there from both the fighter and the ref and Palhares ignored them. Do refs have some super ability that immediately releases a submission?

Big John gets shit for imposing himself too much in fights, Steve gets shit for not throwing down... What the fuck do you guys want? They're doing their best to call live fights on the spot without the commentary from Joe Rogan and the replays of the televised events.

If anyone is to blame for what went on in that fight, it's Palhares.

Back