What if Takanori Gomi defeats Diego Sanchez? Does he deserve a title shot?

Those 3 wins, even if shadows of what they were, are still much bigger than the wins that Gomi has gotten recently. And even if then, why would Gomi bypass several contenders that are already in line for the shot?

Look closer: This guy joined in May of last year and doesn't even have more than 50 posts. Ain't that sketchy?

Those 3 wins, even if shadows of what they were, are still much bigger than the wins that Gomi has gotten recently. And even if then, why would Gomi bypass several contenders that are already in line for the shot?

I dont know and i dont see it happening anyway, just pointing out that cro cop and nog had lost a lot of their "name value" when mir beat them

Look closer: This guy joined in May of last year and doesn't even have more than 50 posts. Ain't that sketchy?

What does that have to do with anything? I have been WATCHING MMA for several years now. That's right, watching, not posting messages about MMA on a message board about MMA.

Why? Supposedly, Frankie Edgar is receiving yet another title shot (this time for the UFC Featherweight World Championship) even though he is riding a 2-fight LOSING streak.

Chael Sonnen (another cheater, by the way) will probably make it to his encounter with Jon Jones for the UFC LHW World Championship. CS was crushed in his last fight and has already had 2 title shots for the UFC MW World Championship. This will be his third title shot in the UFC.

You see, both those guys have had a top 10 win in the past five years and more importantly can sell a fight. Gomi has possesses neither of these things.

You see, both those guys have had a top 10 win in the past five years and more importantly can sell a fight. Gomi has possesses neither of these things.

Perhaps I'll give you the point about Frank Edgar because FE is the former UFC Lightweight World Champion (with 3 title defenses to boot).

However, Chael Sonnen has never captured a world title and he has had many chances to do so.

How much longer can Gomi go?

If Takanori comes in even more motivated than last time and wins against Diego Sanchez he would be an interesting place in the division. He would be ready for a top 10 opponent. 6 wins in a row would be his magic number at 155.

Dana White should pay Mike Dolce to do a Gomi to 145 test camp. I think he can make it. When Jose Aldo moves up to 155 anything can go down in that division. Gomi still has value in Japan and he could be useful with the UFC during 6 shows in Japan.

Do a TUF South Korean vs Japan with Korean Zombie vs Gomi.

Haha there is NO WAY Gomi can cut to 145. Dude would rather surf and drink beer then diet year round.

However, Chael Sonnen has never captured a world title and he has had many chances to do so.

his most recent title shot I'll agree is unwarranted and unearned in terms of rankings and the LHW division but he has some relevant wins recently and can hype a fight like no one else and unfortunately, Gomi doesn't do either of those. A win over Diego would be a great start and maybe then he'll get a crack at someone in the top 10 and then we'll talk title implications

Knew this was going to be a white belt thread before I clicked.

Why? Supposedly, Frankie Edgar is receiving yet another title shot (this time for the UFC Featherweight World Championship) even though he is riding a 2-fight LOSING streak.

Chael Sonnen (another cheater, by the way) will probably make it to his encounter with Jon Jones for the UFC LHW World Championship. CS was crushed in his last fight and has already had 2 title shots for the UFC MW World Championship. This will be his third title shot in the UFC.

Listen, if you want to watch Gomi get raped that's fine. I prefer more competitive match ups. Chael is the only guy in the UFC to actually put up a decent fight against A.S. (the first time), which is why he got a second shot (and destroyed). Edgar always brings it, and won't gas. Benson ragdolls Gomi as long as he wants however he wants. It just seems like a waste of time, I'm sure Henderson wouldn't mind though.:)

of course he doesnt deserve a titleshot after beating Diego

I'll tell you what will happen if Gomi upsets Diego

1. People will claim Diego is done
2. RallyforGomi

War Diego but I dont like to see Gomi lose thats for sure

Ben Henderson takes Gomi down, flips him over, and sodomizes him. Gomi is unable to do anything about this turn of events. The end

Pretty sure Bendo's belief system makes this unlikely.

Gomi beats Sanchez then he may be at the low end of a very talented top 10, but with guys like Masvidal and Alvarez to contend with he may not even be considered that high. So no to a title shot, have you seen the line up of guys waiting for a crack a the LW belt?

Melendez, Pettis, maybe Alvarez depending on his UFC contract, Maynard if he wins impressively. There are loads of guys hovering near the top of a deep division.

Submitting a Nogueira, especially in the weakest division, is not on par with beating a UFC washout in Eiji and a barely-UFC caliber fighter in Mac Danzig. In the deepest division. Cerrone, Pettis, Alvarez, Melendez are you kidding me?

Chael Sonnen getting a shot is the only questionable title shot TC mentioned. Edgar defended the toughest belt, multiple times, and is coming off a ROBBERY two weight classes above where he should be fighting.

Here's a fact: Gomi never did a thing in the UFC barring Tyson Griffin to even hint he was top 25 in the division. Other people have had entire fighting careers in the time since Gomi was champion level. It'd be like having Murilo Bustamante beat Jared Hamman for a shot at Anderson Silva. What's the point of having modern rankings if you're only gonna look at ones from freaking PRIDE?

gomi should donald cerrone if he wins that would and could be awesome

And using that Diego HAS fought for the title?

Hell, Dakota Cochrane beat former WEC champ Varner and former title challenger Joe Stevenson, guess he's ready for Bendo?

Like everybody else, I just came in to say that you're dumb OP. Also Gomi won't beat Diego.

It's unlikely that he wins, and if he does, LW is too deep of a division for him to get a shot withouth beating AT LEAST two more elite fighters. There are just too many good fighters there right now.

Back