What if Takanori Gomi defeats Diego Sanchez? Does he deserve a title shot?

Like everybody else, I just came in to say that you're dumb OP. Also Gomi won't beat Diego.

Other than an iron chin, inhuman cardio and incredible sub defense what chance does Diego have?

Why? Supposedly, Frankie Edgar is receiving yet another title shot (this time for the UFC Featherweight World Championship) even though he is riding a 2-fight LOSING streak.

Chael Sonnen (another cheater, by the way) will probably make it to his encounter with Jon Jones for the UFC LHW World Championship. CS was crushed in his last fight and has already had 2 title shots for the UFC MW World Championship. This will be his third title shot in the UFC.

Stop please.

Gomi has, at the very least, Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez, Donald Cerrone, Jim Miller, Jamie Varner, Rafael Dos Anjos, TJ Grant and Yves Edwards a head of him in the "worthy of a title shot" category. A win over Diego would be impressive but nothing to scream "TITLE SHOT!" over.

It would propel him IMO into a big higher profile fight where maybe he could take the next step toward one though.

it would be the biggest win of his career

Here's a fact: Gomi never did a thing in the UFC barring Tyson Griffin to even hint he was top 25 in the division. Other people have had entire fighting careers in the time since Gomi was champion level. It'd be like having Murilo Bustamante beat Jared Hamman for a shot at Anderson Silva. What's the point of having modern rankings if you're only gonna look at ones from freaking PRIDE?

Besides Murilo's victory in 2012 over Dave Menne (now MB is 2-0 against DM), he hasn't had a fight since 2010 when he was defeated by Jesse Taylor. No disrespect to a former world champion like Murilo but I don't think you can draw a parallel to Takanori Gomi's case.

Needless to say, I am a fan of MMA, not Ultimate Fighting Championsip or Pride Fighting Championships.

I'm not saying that Gomi's career in PFC automatically warrants a title shot (even though the UFC thought that Dan Henderson deserved a title shot at both LHW and MW against Quinton Jackson and Anderson Silva, respectively). What I am saying, however, is that TG is still very much in the present. A 3-fight winning streak is great considering that this is MMA and by the way, a lot more persons know who TG is than George Sotiropoulos, Jim Miller, and Rick Story.

funny-jon-jones.png

I see the fight going something like this: Gomi hits Sanchez with a front kick to the face, Sanchez gets hurt but survives. Then Gomi hits him with a solid jab, followed by a left hook and a right cross, Sanchez stumbles back... Gomi jumps on him with a superman punch, hits Sanchez with a spinning backfist, followed by a knee to the stomach - solar plexus and then to the face and continues with a roundhouse kick, a side kick + spinning wheel kick, followed by the crane kick and the matrix jumping off the fence to fuck up Ben Henderson kick that finally knocks Diego Sanchez down.. on the ground, Gomi gets Sanchez in a gogoplata, transitions to a body triangle followed by a north south choke/full guard arm triangle/shoulder lock/cobra hold/bulldog choke/calf slicer/brabo choke/scissor choke/ submission combination that almost finishes Sanchez... finally Gomi gets the TKO win by smacking Sanchez with his open hands - Silva vs Vera style - up the fence until the referee steps in and saves Sanchez from further damage.
Takanori Gomi won the fight.
The next day you can read on Sherdog that Gomi got cut from the UFC. END.
Did this answer your question?

No. But, it would be the biggest win of his UFC career.

He isn't winning though, but I will root for him.

diego is better than bang ludwig, jean silva, ishida, mac danzig, tyson griffin, kawajiri, pulver, azeredo

maybe mach was better at one point, but when he fought gomi he was a shell of his former self

who am i missing that gomi has beat that is better than diego?

Supposedly, TG and DS are going to duel this March. I say supposedly because we're talking about MMA fights and many athletes seem to be injuring themselves.

If Gomi beats Diego (or any replacement), does he deserve a chance for the UFC Lightweight World Championship?

This hypothetical victory would give Takanori a 3-fight winning streak. He stopped Eiji Mitsuoka with a knockout in the second round and then won a close decision against Mac Danzig. Remember that Diego Sanchez already had a title shot at LW and Takanori Gomi never had a chance.

How would TG do against Benson Henderson?

I'd say he'd still need at least 2 good wins before he's in the picture for a title shot

No. But he might be so close to an eliminator if he wins because of his popularity.

He looked the best he has in 5 years in his last fight, but he isn't championship material these days.

No. But, it would be the biggest win of his UFC career.

He isn't winning though, but I will root for him.

I don't think so. Tyson Griffin, at the time, was still highly regarded. He was borderline top 10, and only got bumped out because of his "loss" to Dunham (a fight that a lot people felt he won). Diego is probably top 15-20 at LW right now. Head-to-head, I would favor the Tyson Griffin who fought Gomi over today's Diego.

Nonetheless, a win over Diego for today's Gomi would be huge. Gomi is pretty much done, so I will be surprised and happy if he pulls it off.

Absolutely he should get the shot. Few people beat Sanchez at lightweight

I think the window for the UFC pushing Gomi to a title shot has closed, for the moment anyway.

When Dana/UFC brought Gomi in I think they really wanted to fast track him to fight Penn or whoever was champ at the time. But with the stumble against Guida (damn him and his stupid caveman dance) and then losing badly to Nate they've removed him from their plans. He would need to T/KO Diego spectacularly, like what he did to Griffin, for them to reconsider again. But even so he would have to beat probably 2-3more guys in stellar fashion before he gets a chance at the title. At the moment Dana has too many guys on his radar (like Alvarez and Melendez) to even picture in Gomi.

Here's hoping Gomi KO's Deigo, mid Rnd 2.

Not quite! 2 more wins

diego is better than bang ludwig, jean silva, ishida, mac danzig, tyson griffin, kawajiri, pulver, azeredo

maybe mach was better at one point, but when he fought gomi he was a shell of his former self

who am i missing that gomi has beat that is better than diego?

Well I dont know if he's better then Kawajiri, I dont think so

he would need to beat 1, if not 2 top 5 lightweights before a title shot and diego isn't top 5..

Back