• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What If?: Rafael Lovato Jr.

WoozyFailGuy

Mel Gibson's Attorney
@Black
Reaction score
Lovato was only the second American to win the World Jiu Jitsu Championships, after BJ Penn.
Ending his career 11-0, beating a young Kevin Holland in his second fight

and Mousasi for the title in his second to last fight, my question is how great could he have been? I think Lovato is one of the best Bellator grown fighter they ever had even with his short record, a wizard on the ground. If he were never diagnosed with cerebral cavernoma, who do you think would have eventually beaten him? How far would he have gone? How would he have done in the UFC?
Rafael-Lovato-jr-jiu-jitsu-martial-artist-black-belt-world-champion-mma-middleweight-undefeated-bellator-red-brazilian-arm-2.jpg

Lovato was only the second American to win the World Jiu Jitsu Championships, after BJ Penn.
Ending his career 11-0, beating a young Kevin Holland in his second fight

and Mousasi for the title in his second to last fight, my question is how great could he have been? I think Lovato is one of the best Bellator grown fighter they ever had even with his short record, a wizard on the ground. If he were never diagnosed with cerebral cavernoma, who do you think would have eventually beaten him? How far would he have gone? How would he have done in the UFC?
Rafael-Lovato-jr-jiu-jitsu-martial-artist-black-belt-world-champion-mma-middleweight-undefeated-bellator-red-brazilian-arm-2.jpg

Mousasi already arguably beat him despite Lovato being obscenely juiced to the gills

Absolutely no chance he did anything in the UFC with USADA there lol, dude was juiced to the gills.
That's why I'm hoping for a Lovato 2025 UFC run :cool:
Mousasi already arguably beat him despite Lovato being obscenely juiced to the gills
I haven't watched the fight in a long time but recall scoring it 1&2 Lovato 3&4 Moose, so it comes down to how you scored the 5th.

Last edited:
That's why I'm hoping for a Lovato 2025 UFC run :cool:

I haven't watched the fight in a long time but recall scoring it 1&2 Lovato 3&4 Moose, so it comes down to how you scored the 5th.
Wasn't the 5th the clearest round because Lovato spent pretty much the whole time with Gegard's back? Back when I watched it I thought Lovato won pretty clearly, but I suppose with how the damage criteria works nowadays he might have lost one of the early rounds.

Wasn't the 5th the clearest round because Lovato spent pretty much the whole time with Gegard's back? Back when I watched it I thought Lovato won pretty clearly, but I suppose with how the damage criteria works nowadays he might have lost one of the early rounds.

Yeah I had it 48-47 Lovato at the time, I didn't think it should have been especially controversial but there was a dude on here who would argue with you to the death about that fight.

Yeah I had it 48-47 Lovato at the time, I didn't think it should have been especially controversial but there was a dude on here who would argue with you to the death about that fight.
Oh believe me, I know all about Franklin. Engaged with him many a time due to that fight, biggest Mousasi fan on the forum by far.

I had it 48-47 too but I could see a case for Mousasi in some of the rounds because Lovato barely mounted any offense. Anyways, not like the juiced monster looked unbeatable in there.

I love Lovato Jr. mostly because I like his half guard game and his work on the competitive BJJ scene. I was desperate to watch the weird MMA match he did in Japan the other year but couldn't find a way to purchase. Lovato Jr. was around 35 when he beat Mousasi - Getting up there in age.

I can't see him getting signed by the UFC at that point of his career and with his style, and at the time he would have had to have faced a Whittaker or Israel Adesanya, neither of which I think he does well against.

In Bellator? I think he could have beat the guys that Mousasi beat to keep the belt and probably would have lost it around the same time Mousasi did against Eblen.

His gym is literally around the corner from me, and I'm a true homer and love the guy. No doubt he is an amazing world class grappler, but idk that he is well-rounded enough that he could have taken out all of the best the UFC had to offer. Whittaker and Izzy would have given him a really tough time. But I think he proved enough during his time that he is undoubtedly elite, just with specialized skills.

he could have done it, on the right night, right circumstances 100%. his ground game is too much for MMA. would just need to get that takedown and it would absolutely be over for any UFC MW. i like lovato JR, dude has a good attitude, positive, has been around, and to see a BJJ dude do MMA, succeed, to the point of beating Gegard is pretty damn big deal. nothing but respect. i believe champs from any other orgs have a solid shot of being a champ in the UFC. it usually happens like that. Jiri, Poatan, Izzy, DC, the PRIDE to UFC champs, all from other orgs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back