What has Jiu Jitsu done for you?

It definitely humbles you, offers you plenty of good times and helps getting through the bad times so much easier. It is good for your health, and pretty much every aspect of life... like boosts confidence, curbs your temper, relieves stress etc..

I was in the Marine Corps in San Diego, and I never had any social life aside from the people I knew through the military. Also, it's a good way to exercise without having to think of it as a workout. It gives me something to do on Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday other than just getting completely wasted.

helps me survive med school

god theres so many douchebags in my class id like to choke out

To be honest its been a kind of bad for my life. Its so easy to become obsessed and to let it rule your life. Everything else seems more boring because you just want to do jiu jitsu again. There was a quote in Fight Club which I wished I remembered. Its basically everything thing else feels like the volume has been turned down, and basically waiting till the next jiu jitsu session starts.

As of September I will probably only be training once or twice a week at most, I think I will have withdrawal symptoms.

I think im starting to sound insane now.

sent me on a journey, still in it

Humility, passion and respect for others on and off the mat. There is nothing quite like working beyond what you thought you could do and still having more in the tank. That motivation has really helped me.

Also the intimate nature of jiu jitsu in terms of competition. There is nothing quite like getting tapped a *lot*. I've actually had to work really hard to develop a healthy attitude about learning so that my ego isn't in the way. Useful for other things too.

Lastly most of the people (instructors too) I train with/under are just great. We share a common interest that is hard for non-practitioners to understand.

putted some joy in my life
some more work out while not being boring
a new hobby that i like!
and im a bit more relaxed !

but its quite addictive! anything else seems a bit less important!

Given me a bad knee, bad wrist, bad fingers, rough hands, broken nose, fractured tailbone, a limp, a bad back,

But all in all its made my day many days, gave me motivation to stay in shape, confidence, something to do when im bored, improved my mentality, and improved my overall diet..its something i can really call my own.
my jiujitsu isnt like any one else's

Most importantly its given me power to control my friends and family, and choke them out or submit them at holiday dinners.

cauliflower, and knowing how tough i am mentally.

theres many times when you want to quit in a match, but a little something deep inside takes over, and fights till the end. i never knew i had that in me pre-grappling.

it helped me quit smoking

it helped me get over severe claustrophobia

Six pack abs, woot woot.

Oh and ugly ass ears and a broken tooth.

Last time my buddy who regularly tries to fight me when drunk, got taken down, and armbared.

When I let go, he punched me in the face. I've got the best friends.

I have lost 45 lbs since starting and it has been the key to victory for me in my Amateur mma fights so far. It has also made me a calmer and more flexible individual.

Found something that I love and am pretty good at. One of my greatest thrills, being the average kind of shy guy I am, is rolling with some new beast and seeing that change in their appraisal of me as soon as we get going....like, "Damn, you're not what I thought you were." It's amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back