What grappling art should i choose ?

I agree with the dude who said you should simply figure out what is the best school in you are and/or what best fits your schedule. Don't stop Muay Thai if you love it, just add a grappling art. Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, and even Submission Grappling can all be good (it just depends on the instructor and students).

For a quality striker, wrestling is only good for TDD defense. That part can be trained outside wrestling. Pure wrestling training would not be of great help if you want to strike. I think something like Sambo or BJJ would serve your needs much better..

For a quality striker, wrestling is only good for TDD defense. That part can be trained outside wrestling. Pure wrestling training would not be of great help if you want to strike. I think something like Sambo or BJJ would serve your needs much better..

nah. you're pretty much wrong about everything you just said.

sounds like they have a submission wrestling place near you from your opening post.

looks like you'll learn takedowns and submissions.

that's a win/win.

this was an open and shut case from the gate my friends.

now let us know how it goes. :D

Just because it is "submission wrestling" doesn't mean they do takedowns and submissions any better than anyone else. I've trained at a lot of gyms, and most of the time "submission wrestling" just means "we do no-gi." And BJJ gyms can have good wrestlers teaching wrestling classes.

1.- What are your goals? do you want to become an MMA fighter?

2.- The best school easily, trainer >>> art by a lot.

3.- if you magically had equal access to all grappling arts and your goal is to be able to strike in MMA then

1.- Greco with some Judo.
2.- Judo with some greco.
3.- Folkstyle
4.- BJJ
5.- Freestyle.

Everything of the above with at least the basics in BJJ.

Reasoning as following.

1.- When you are striking you will end up in the clinch a lot which is where grco has the advantage, the inclusion of judo is merely to add trips to greco.

2.- Judo is similar to greco, however it relies a lot in the grips, they do have some submissions on the bottom which can range from non-existant to BJJ BB good depending on the teacher.

3.- Folkstyle is good for the scrambling, which would allow you to stand up when you are taken down.

4.- BJJ would allow you to survive and fight of your back if you can't get up, but you really need to be able to spend a few years on it before you are subbing people from there, even BJJ BBs have problems subbing people off their backs in MMA.

5.- Freestyle is about takedowns, but the position where they shoot is very different from a striking position so there is less transition.

People tend to forget about transition, being good at TDs when you are crouched like a freestyler is very different than TDs when you are upright and striking and samewise comes from TDD defense.

If we go by TDD as in which develops the best and which the least it would be

Judo > Freestyle > Greco > Folk > BJJ.

Although that may change because of recent rule changes in Judo so we may have freestyle on top now.

Here is some TDD video of judo.

Although finding competitive judo in this side of the world is kind of hard.

So above all Teacher >>> art.

Judo > Freestyle > Greco > Folk > BJJ.
Wait, wasn't Lidell smashing foo's with pretty much just folk wrasslin takedown defense and striking?

Forgot to add, that any grappling will still require at least blue belt level knowledge of BJJ or you are going to fall into every single trap there is, even when on top.

Depends entirely on your body type. If you're aiming to compete, you should do all of it anyway in my opinion anyhow, but generally stocky people make good wrestlers, lanky people are godd at jiu-jitsu, and medium people can do all three. But there's no limit saying a stocky person couldn't be good at jiu-jitsu if he worked hard, or a guarantee that any lanky person is gonna' be good at jiu-jitsu. Really, it's preference. I mean, it's your life and it's your training experience. No matter what, though, grappling of any variety is funner than a roller coaster with a naked supermodel for a seatbelt. : )

Back