What grappling art should i choose ?

WALKERmma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I currently do muay thai and some boxing but now want to move to bjj or judo and am not sure i would also love to do wrestling but there isnt anywere near me
and i want to concentrate on 1 diciplin at a time so i would proberbly take time out of muay thai to do grappling
any advice ?

Last edited:
I currently do muay thai and some boxing but now want to move to bjj or judo and am not sure i would also love to do wrestling but there isnt anywere near me
there is a subbmision wrestiling place but im not sure what it would entail like is it more like juijitsu or wrestling ?????
and i want to concentrate on 1 diciplin at a time so i would proberbly take time out of muay thai to do grappling
any advice ?

In my opinion, you shouldn't take time off your striking to do grappling. Keep doing your striking & find a BJJ school in your area & start attending. Don't worry about wrestling at all.

Many people have different opinions & will disagree but in my opinion, you should only train wrestling when you have an opponent lined up & you are training for a fight. But if you have no opponent & aren't training for a fight, forget about wrestling & just focus on your Muay Thai & BJJ.

Good Luck!

That's funny sparky because the ideal method is if you're solely a striker you depend on your wrestling to keep you up on the feet. If you don't have wrestling you're going to not only depend on your striking but your bjj when you can't get off your back.

Nothing is wrong with solely being a striker but you better learn wrestling to stay on your feet.

sorry ppl im tryin to figure out how to embed videos. someone plz help, please!

Walker: BJJ, Judo, Sambo and wrestling are ALL good options.

I will tell you if you want to focus on striking then a good style to stay on your feet is advised. However, you can learn some really nifty submissions from BJJ, Sambo and Judo.

You really cant go wrong just check in to all your options before you pick and then decide what your "goal" is

Pick the best gym. Even if I had my heart set on BJJ, and my choices were a world-class judo gym and a bjj gym run by a purple belt (no disrespect to purple belts) I would choose judo.

Likewise if I wanted to learn judo at the local recreational judo gym, but had the opportunity to learn sambo from a Russian master of sports, I would take sambo.

If the gyms in your area are all relatively equal, choose the art that you like best and that suits you well.

In my opinion, you shouldn't take time off your striking to do grappling. Keep doing your striking & find a BJJ school in your area & start attending. Don't worry about wrestling at all.

Many people have different opinions & will disagree but in my opinion, you should only train wrestling when you have an opponent lined up & you are training for a fight. But if you have no opponent & aren't training for a fight, forget about wrestling & just focus on your Muay Thai & BJJ.

Good Luck!
/thread

This is good advice.

I would go with BJJ

Good Luck!
Where did you get your opinion from honestly?

That's funny sparky because the ideal method is if you're solely a striker you depend on your wrestling to keep you up on the feet. If you don't have wrestling you're going to not only depend on your striking but your bjj when you can't get off your back.

Nothing is wrong with solely being a striker but you better learn wrestling to stay on your feet.

Where did you get your opinion from honestly?

I understand where you're coming from but so many striker oriented fighters make the mistake of working hard on their wrestling in striking but eventually they will go to the ground.

You look at Josh Koscheck vs Paul Daley & Paul Daley couldn't stay on his feet for very long & had nothing to fall back on.

When you see a talented striker, the first thing you think about is taking him to the ground. When you see a talented submission artist, the first thing you think is keeping him on his feet. The truth of the matter is that wrestling gives you the opprotunity to take the fight to the ground but not be a real threat on the ground or standing up but they are good in the middle area of MMA.

Nothing leaves me more hopeless then watching Rampage Jackson on his back against Forrest Griffen & Rampage not being any threat from his back. Same with Koscheck vs Daley, Fedor vs Schilt.

It comes down to the fact that as a wrestler, you have to be in the dominant position to do damage, usually not fight ending damage, just damage in general as appose to learning BJJ, you can be on top or bottom & still do damage.

A huge part of the game is mental in my opinion. True takedown defense is not really having to rely on it to win the fight. The fact that your stand up game is so scary that your opponent doesn't want to stand with you but he knows that he can't lay in pray because you'll put him to sleep or literally rip his muscles, bones, jones or tendons from his body. Those are the fighters that you really have to sit there in front of the TV & attempt to pick apart & hope that your strategy plays out the way that you want it to.

There are some fighters that make their striking & wrestling work & there is no better example then Jon "Bones" Jones. I've never seen a fighter like him & I learn so much just from watching his fights but I would still rather be a threat on the ground from dominant & non dominant positions so I would choose BJJ.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Try all three and see which one you enjoy the most.

this, also what are your goals do you want a submission game to balance your striking or are you looking for something to counter other grapplers. If it is brawl and sprawl you are after I'd probably go more wrestling. If you are looking for more of a submission game then go BJJ. Judo is a great art and fun, have to remember though translating it to a no-gi environment takes a lot of skill and practice.

this, also what are your goals do you want a submission game to balance your striking or are you looking for something to counter other grapplers. If it is brawl and sprawl you are after I'd probably go more wrestling. If you are looking for more of a submission game then go BJJ. Judo is a great art and fun, have to remember though translating it to a no-gi environment takes a lot of skill and practice.

I would say BJJ or wrestling for mma.

maybe find a bjj place that has one or 2 nights a week of wrestling TD classes.

it was a prize in the bottom of a CrackerJack box

no it was a fortune cookie, longest damn message that I've ever seen. I turned it over to see my lucky numbers & it was a continuation of what was written on the front.

GSparky said:
There are some fighters that make their striking & wrestling work & there is no better example then Jon "Bones" Jones. I've never seen a fighter like him & I learn so much just from watching his fights but I would still rather be a threat on the ground from dominant & non dominant positions so I would choose BJJ.

Just my 2 cents.
have you ever grappled with a good wrestler?

And you learned what from jones? Did you start training yourself yet or are you still the armchair mma guru who doesn't step foot on the mat but gives his opinion on what works?

And you learned what from jones? Did you start training yourself yet or are you still the armchair mma guru who doesn't step foot on the mat but gives his opinion on what works?

I'm the Armchair MMA Guru in all capital letters who doesn't step foot on the mat but gives his god given right to an opinion on what works. That's me... :D

And like I said, I used to wrestle, I wasn't very good but I did wrestle, if you would like, I'll upload my goofy ass wrestling photo for you to see.

sounds like they have a submission wrestling place near you from your opening post.

looks like you'll learn takedowns and submissions.

that's a win/win.

this was an open and shut case from the gate my friends.

now let us know how it goes. :D

Back