What fighting game should I get (PS4)?

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by Bob Gray, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

So, since I got a PS4 for Xmas I've been getting back into console gaming a bit. Was wondering what people thought of the current selection of available fighting games. Which is the best? Which has the best community? Any sherdoggies playing them?

2. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

You can find MKXL for around $10.

I'd say it has the best roster of all MK games, and it includes all the DLC fighters like Jason, Leatherface, Predator, and Alien.

3. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

Is it still popular enough to get matches online?

4. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

From what I hear it is.

Its not a ghost town as compared to other fighting games from four years ago.

5. Swing Brown Belt

In terms of the size of online communities, your best bets are Tekken 7, Mk11, and SFV in that order (based on Steam Charts). Though SFV is going through a netcode debacle that makes crossplay inadvisable (and I haven't been able to play the game reliably for about a year). Most people have an okay experience with it though. Meaning it's playable, but just about everybody bitches about the quality of SFV's netcode.

Mk11 has the best netcode of those 3. Tekken 7 has the largest community because people like the game, but the netcode is delay based instead of rollback.

6. Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Pretty much all of the major fighting games are all really good.

I would recommend you play whatever series you already know you like or is visually appealing to you. MK11, SFV, Tekken7, SC6, DBZF are all great games and all have active online communities.

Granblue is getting a US release next month too and that is a new IP and looks really great as well.

7. Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

Lots of people like MKX more than MK11 so there's probably quite a few people still playing. Both games use rollback netcode so the online is good.

As others have said, MK11, SFV, Tekken 7, and DBFZ are the most popular. SFV Champion Edition releases on the 14th which includes all of the characters, most stages, and 200+ costumes released from the previous seasons.

Granblue Fantasy Versus is already out in Japan and I want to get it now, but it uses delay based netcode...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. Crono139 Blue Belt

Skullgirls.

9. Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Forgot to add- I would personally recommend SC6 and MK11 those overall I am enjoying the most, but it's mostly personal preference. Soul Caliber in general I think is having a bit of a resurgence as they did really well in the competitive scene last year and this year they added a World Tour type event and it seems like the series is at a really good place

10. Holic Sock Puppet Exorcist

Soul Calibur 6 is so good you'll wanna slap your own mama.

Street Fighter 5 is trash.

11. Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

Do people still play this?

Also, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] releases Feb 20th.

12. Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

13. sportkillergreg Brown Belt

i play tekken 7 on ps4, really enjoy it. Used to play MKXL a lot, that game's definitely still worth $10. Tekken 7 has often been on sale for like 15 or 20 dollars lately

14. JohnSAFTAHess Brown Belt

Tekken 7, Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter 5 are all amazing.

SFV isn't trash.. the championship edition just came out with a shitload of content.

My personal favorite is Samurai Shodown. Plays unlike any other current fighter. Footsie heavy with large damage. Fun as hell.

15. mb23100 Gold Belt

I play Tekken 7 and it's great. For at Tekken I've played since 3 lol. I have MKX but find myself playing Tekken a lot more.

16. Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

I don't know how many people still play it but from what I hear it's one of the best designed fighters out there.

I just got Power Rangers Battle for the Grid and it's actually a really solid game. The only thing it needs is more characters but 18 isn't a terrible size. Just a lot of potential.

17. JohnSAFTAHess Brown Belt

I was just reading about the game. Apparently it wasn't great at start and they've worked really hard to improve it. It sounds like it's continuing to get better so it definitely seems like it has potential.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  18. Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

The game also has crossplay between PC, PS4, Xbox, and Switch.

19. Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

Apparently, Capcom is working on a netcode update. The netcode in SFV has never been good, but it's still better than Tekken 7, SC6, SamSho, DBFZ, GG, etc...

I wanted to get Granblue, but fuck that.

Shocking.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  20. Swing Brown Belt

Yeah it's a real shame. I've wanted to buy their last 4 or so games, but I'm not going to do so until they improve their netcode.