What fighting game should I get (PS4)?

Bob Gray

Deadlights Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, since I got a PS4 for Xmas I've been getting back into console gaming a bit. Was wondering what people thought of the current selection of available fighting games. Which is the best? Which has the best community? Any sherdoggies playing them?

You can find MKXL for around $10.

I'd say it has the best roster of all MK games, and it includes all the DLC fighters like Jason, Leatherface, Predator, and Alien.

You can find MKXL for around $10.

I'd say it has the best roster of all MK games, and it includes all the DLC fighters like Jason, Leatherface, Predator, and Alien.

Is it still popular enough to get matches online?

In terms of the size of online communities, your best bets are Tekken 7, Mk11, and SFV in that order (based on Steam Charts). Though SFV is going through a netcode debacle that makes crossplay inadvisable (and I haven't been able to play the game reliably for about a year). Most people have an okay experience with it though. Meaning it's playable, but just about everybody bitches about the quality of SFV's netcode.

Mk11 has the best netcode of those 3. Tekken 7 has the largest community because people like the game, but the netcode is delay based instead of rollback.

Pretty much all of the major fighting games are all really good.

I would recommend you play whatever series you already know you like or is visually appealing to you. MK11, SFV, Tekken7, SC6, DBZF are all great games and all have active online communities.

Granblue is getting a US release next month too and that is a new IP and looks really great as well.

Is it still popular enough to get matches online?

Lots of people like MKX more than MK11 so there's probably quite a few people still playing. Both games use rollback netcode so the online is good.

As others have said, MK11, SFV, Tekken 7, and DBFZ are the most popular. SFV Champion Edition releases on the 14th which includes all of the characters, most stages, and 200+ costumes released from the previous seasons.

Granblue Fantasy Versus is already out in Japan and I want to get it now, but it uses delay based netcode...

Last edited:
Forgot to add- I would personally recommend SC6 and MK11 those overall I am enjoying the most, but it's mostly personal preference. Soul Caliber in general I think is having a bit of a resurgence as they did really well in the competitive scene last year and this year they added a World Tour type event and it seems like the series is at a really good place

Soul Calibur 6 is so good you'll wanna slap your own mama.

Street Fighter 5 is trash.

i play tekken 7 on ps4, really enjoy it. Used to play MKXL a lot, that game's definitely still worth $10. Tekken 7 has often been on sale for like 15 or 20 dollars lately

Tekken 7, Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter 5 are all amazing.

SFV isn't trash.. the championship edition just came out with a shitload of content.

My personal favorite is Samurai Shodown. Plays unlike any other current fighter. Footsie heavy with large damage. Fun as hell.

I play Tekken 7 and it's great. For at Tekken I've played since 3 lol. I have MKX but find myself playing Tekken a lot more.

Skullgirls.
I don't know how many people still play it but from what I hear it's one of the best designed fighters out there.

I just got Power Rangers Battle for the Grid and it's actually a really solid game. The only thing it needs is more characters but 18 isn't a terrible size. Just a lot of potential.

I don't know how many people still play it but from what I hear it's one of the best designed fighters out there.

I just got Power Rangers Battle for the Grid and it's actually a really solid game. The only thing it needs is more characters but 18 isn't a terrible size. Just a lot of potential.

I was just reading about the game. Apparently it wasn't great at start and they've worked really hard to improve it. It sounds like it's continuing to get better so it definitely seems like it has potential.

Last edited:
I was just reading about the game. Apparently it wasn't great at start and they've worked really hard to improve it. It sounds like it's continuing to get better so it definitely seems like it has potential.

The game also has crossplay between PC, PS4, Xbox, and Switch.

Tekken 7, Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter 5 are all amazing.

SFV isn't trash.. the championship edition just came out with a shitload of content.

My personal favorite is Samurai Shodown. Plays unlike any other current fighter. Footsie heavy with large damage. Fun as hell.

Apparently, Capcom is working on a netcode update. The netcode in SFV has never been good, but it's still better than Tekken 7, SC6, SamSho, DBFZ, GG, etc...

I wanted to get Granblue, but fuck that.

Shocking.

Last edited:
Apparently, Capcom is working on a netcode update. The netcode in SFV has never been good, but it's still better than Tekken 7, SC6, SamSho, DBFZ, GG, etc...

I wanted to get Granblue, but fuck that.

Shocking.

Yeah it's a real shame. I've wanted to buy their last 4 or so games, but I'm not going to do so until they improve their netcode.

Back