What exactly does a UFC "babysitter" Burt Watson do?

Watch the Hunt docco.

Features him for a fair bit.

I don't know exactly what he does, I've heard that he pretty much dictates everything behind the scenes on fight week though.

He's basically the equipment guy, if you need extra gloves or hand wraps, you go to him. He also guides the fighters when its their time for action.

he hypes them up i guess. we rooooooooooolllllllling!!!!

Fight Butlering. My job is modeled after his stuff (despite me also having to be Joe Silva of ammy stuffs). Burt has to be essentially on call, to know where/when people need to be there.

He's Lion-wrangling, essentially. When fighters are on site and they need.... Burt is there to figure it out. When they need to be somewhere, Burt is leading them.

It's actually a super-fun position.

I'm a bit of a Burt hater tbh. Every time I see him he's just saying the same old shit over and over and over again. This is what we do Baby!

Let the fighters do their own thing. Some guys might like it, but I'm fairly sure that all fighters prepare themselves in the immediate lead up to their fight in different ways. They are forced to put up with this goon for no real reason.

Imagine what the Russians think of this goose when they are trying to focus? Fuck, could you imagine how cringe-worthy it would be if he tried that shit with Fedor?

He gets them stuff if they need it and tells everyone where and when they need to be everywhere.

I can't stand it when he points at the floor when the fighters walk up to the stage.

I bet he gives the secretaries uncomfortably long hugs at the company Christmas party.

Back