What else besides BJJ?

Valiss

Reaction score
In a recent article, the interviewer asked Bas if Kimbo is training BJJ for his groundwork. Bas said "No." Which got me thinking about the whole ground game. Now I'm a striker and mostly participate striking matches, but I enjoy and can appreciate the ground game as well. That said, I don't know a ton about it. But I guess these days there is so much talk about BJJ that I taken aback by Bas's comment. I mean, what other grappling arts are out there nowadays that people are training with and are still effective in the cage? What type of ground work do you suppose Bas would be teaching Kimbo?

(this is not to imply that Kimbo was effective on the ground, I'm just trying to figure out what other arts teach the ground game effectively)

I think Bas' ground game is mostly catch wrestling/shooto.

The question was did Kimbo train with any black belts, and Bas answered "No."

You don't necessarily need a black belt in the room to learn jiu jitsu, but it sure does help.

Judo Sambo, Kimbo probably has a wrestling coach

call it what you want to , but its BJJ. Its not like Bas and Bas' students dont train primarily with other BJJers to improve grappling everyday at their gym.

In a recent article, the interviewer asked Bas if Kimbo is training BJJ for his groundwork. Bas said "No."

Im not suprised. Did you see his fight against Josh Thomson? Very beginner mistakes made by both of them.

Im not suprised. Did you see his fight against Josh Thomson? Very beginner mistakes made by both of them.

I wasnt surpirsed they sucked on the ground, I was surprised Kimbo wasnt learning BJJ. I just thought that was the standard with grapplers. Live and learn!

it's ridiculous for any serious mixed martial artist to not be learning BJJ, and i am not implying they have to train with the gi, but for christ's sake you need to be learning it.

i dont get how u fight in MMA but dont train in jiu jitsu. thats just retarded to me.

I think that people are starting starting to use the word "jiu-jitsu" as a generic term for any type of submission grapppling. If the question posed to Bas was worded differently like something along the lines of "Has Kimbo been training in submissions?" then I'm pretty sure Bas would have said "of course", but Bas has never trained in jiu-jitsu, so he can't exactly teach jiu-jitsu. Am I right?

it's ridiculous for any serious mixed martial artist to not be learning BJJ, and i am not implying they have to train with the gi, but for christ's sake you need to be learning it.

Fedor, Oleg Tartakov, Sakuraba and Josh Barnett seemed to do OK.

i dont get how u fight in MMA but dont train in jiu jitsu. thats just retarded to me.

Whats more 'retarded' is that you dont know that the best heavyweight fighter in the world doesnt train in jiu jitsu.

Whats more 'retarded' is that you dont know that the best heavyweight fighter in the world doesnt train in jiu jitsu.

Really? I thought Minotaro Nogueira had been training Jiu jitsu for years?:icon_cry2

Judo Sambo, Kimbo probably has a wrestling coach
judging by his last performance, I would say he doesn't trains any of these MA's either. I think he is still training in the streets with all the bums in his camp :D

choosing bas as a coach is also just a publicity stunt, if you ask me (which you didn't, but I will say it anyway) :). Bas is probably the most over rated fighter in MMA history, together with rickson. I know this hurts a lot of people here, but just my opinion. Pancrase fights to me seem more like an updated version of WWE and the same thing goes to that villareal fight. rickson's 400 straight win legend is another laughable matter. Rickson is amazing, one of the best BJJ guys to have walked the earth, but his only decent opponent was funaki.

kimbo's managers are just trying to make some extra pence's by name dropping..

judging by his last performance, I would say he doesn't trains any of these MA's either. I think he is still training in the streets with all the bums in his camp :D

choosing bas as a coach is also just a publicity stunt, if you ask me (which you didn't, but I will say it anyway) :). Bas is probably the most over rated fighter in MMA history, together with rickson. I know this hurts a lot of people here, but just my opinion. Pancrase fights to me seem more like an updated version of WWE and the same thing goes to that villareal fight. rickson's 400 straight win legend is another laughable matter. Rickson is amazing, one of the best BJJ guys to have walked the earth, but his only decent opponent was funaki.

kimbo's managers are just trying to make some extra pence's by name dropping..

I said it before and I'll say it again, Kimbo's ground game is pathetic, as well as his cardio.

Now you are implying that BJJ is the only thing worth training?

you think Fedor has a BJJ coach? I would wager no

loads of serious MMAists that got their skills from judo, sambo or catch schools

WOuldn't you love a private with Aoki? you think he learned his stuff in BJJ?

What type of ground work do you suppose Bas would be teaching Kimbo?

Well he did try that neck crank from back and slipped, kinda makes sense perhaps to have a catch wrestling approach into training Kimbo, powermoves relying o nstrength more and agility less

Back