What dyaal think about Pulling on a rubber cord/cable

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I read Maher's (strenth training for MMA) and in a boxing instructional I've seen that to increase punching / kicking speed and strength, you actually train the opposite muscles (for example, punching you would train your bicepts and do seated rows and stuff.) and kicking you would train your hamstrings as opposed to quads. Also use a heavy weight to build fast twitch fibers.

The reason they said to train the opposite was that it enhances the "snap" or "stop" effect when you pull back as fast as you punch, thats where the most power is generated along with violent rotation of the core (which you can train in reverse as well)

Assuming all of this is true, I bought a thick rubber cable, and tie it to about shoulder hieght or a little lower. Then I throw a few punches and then pull the cable back hard in the Exact reverse motion that I threw the punch. I do this about 20 times or until I feel a burn. I do this with my right cross as well as my jab. (it hard to find something to work my "REVERSE uppercut muscles -lol- but I assume it would be something like a pullup)

What do you all with experience think about this. Two of my trainers said I have a heavy punch. So I basically tell me:

1. Could this slow me down at all or have any negative effects on my punches???

2. Is this worth my time as an effective training method?

If your talking about increasing your punching power, which is a slippery slope to begin with, do alittle research and you'll find some interesting threads with some interesting info (complex training), but i think the consenus around here would be to keep it simple and do compound lifts (squat,deadlift) since when you punch your heavy hands actually come from using your entire body.

Hey and in a totally unrelated subject, CARNAL; WE KNOW YOUR OUT THERE AND READING. STOP THIS :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:RY AND COME BACK. SO YOU GOT FLAMED OR FELT UNAPPRECIATED. IT HAPPENS. I FOR ONE MISS THE CARNALISMS.WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS SMOKE UP, EAT SOME CBH, AND STOP BEING TEH GAY. I FOR ONE APOLOGIZE IF I CONTRIBUTED TO YOU LEAVING (i was having a bad week.)

Back