What does the majority of the youth of today aspire to be? Boxer or MMA fighter?

dizzydean

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
With the popularity of MMA on a steady rise, do you think there are more kids aspiring to be a professional MMA fighter rather than aspiring to be a professional boxer?

I would say boxing because MMA is pretty difficult to get into now, all the major fighters have at least 3 martial arts which they excel at and most of the time have at least 1 blackbelt (or are on their way to getting a blackbelt).

Boxing has involves more money and natural talent is more of a factor IMO.

Most of them aspire to be in the NFL or NBA but in between the two (mma and boxing), I think youth still want to be boxers more.

MMA training is expensive. It requires training in several diciplines and thats why most MMA gyms are in the suburbs. Suburban kids usually have more opportunities other than fighting for a living so MMA isn't really like a job for them.

Boxing, on the other hand, is inexpensive. Most gyms I know charge very little for training and, in some gyms, they'll train you for free if you do some work around the gym.

Depends how the kids are raised and on the parents financial status.
With all the mma marketing and clothing that's out every where, I say kids may want to sway towards mma, but mma training is more expensive than boxing. That may play a factor in what kids end up choosing.
Mma gyms offer a lot of cross training I.e. Jiu Jitsu, muah Thai, wrestling and some even boxing. If parents have the money,they'll be able to pay for good well rounded training and kids may choose mma training.

My guess is that Boxing still takes the cake. From my personal experience Boxing is still considered "King" even if people don't follow it as much because of the number of fights on PPV and there is a vocal minority who sees MMA as human cock fighting so I would say they would steer the kids toward Boxing more then MMA.

im 18, so i just was a youth
and i gotta say, as a kid i never once ran into any other kid who boxed, and ive never even seen a strictly boxing gym

World wide? Boxing by a landslide
US? Probably MMA, but I think it depends on demographics. As someone stated, MMA training is not cheap

My brother rents a boxing club for his MMA club because they are down to 2 or 3 boxers.

I would say in my area MMA is bigger. We have one boxing club with the 3 boxers and four MMA (they have Muay Thai as well) clubs.

j

Straight kids = Boxing
Gay kids that have erotic fantasies of rubbing and grappling with other men = MMA

Straight kids = Boxing
Gay kids that have erotic fantasies of rubbing and grappling with other men = MMA

notfunny.gif

Straight kids = Boxing
Try saying that when you're in an RNC blacking out :wink:

MMA is misunderstood as being more brutal than boxing so alot of parents aren't very keen to expose their children to it so right now boxing is more popular with kids; However once people are a little more clued-up about MMA most will be happy to let their kids train.
give it a few years and MMA will be far more popular.

Majority of the youth dont want to be neither. But if i had to pick between the two, i'd say boxing is still stronger than mma.

Aspiring MMA fighters tend to jump into the sport right away without developing a solid base first (Boxing, Wrestling, Kickboxing, BJJ)

While training "stand up" a lot of mma students will convert to boxing if they have the natural athleticism/reflexes. "Why not focus on boxing kid? You can always go back to mma If your not good enough." Gifted mma kids will convert to the big money but no boxers will convert to mma as mma is the ghey!!!!

Back