What does the majority of the youth of today aspire to be? Boxer or MMA fighter?

it really says a lot about this board that the "mma=gay" jokes still crack you guys up.

the only people that get into boxing now days are those that are too small or too dumb to learn plays in football, or stay eligible in high school

the only people that get into boxing now days are those that are too small or too dumb to learn plays in football, or stay eligible in high school

Bullshit
Smarter kids may not pursue a career in boxing, but the sport isn't exactly exclusive to retards.

boxing now atm but in the future it may very well be MMA but MMA is quite expensive and boxing is just more fun and is bigger in europe than MMA and in NA

Wherever they can make the most coin.

If people can play football, they'll focus on football. If they can play basketball, they'll play basketball. If they can box better than they can wrestle, they'll box.

Thing is, boxers are a rare find - its harder for someone to get into boxing than into MMA. A wrestler, judoka, or BJJ trained individual can get into MMA and be successful. Boxing, youre either good at it or youre not.

In the end, its all about where someone can make money and if they have the ability to succeed at the said sport.

Last edited:
Majority of the male youth are justin bieber fans they will probably aspire to be ring card girls in the phillipines.

The majority of great potential athletes pursue the big leagues...(Football, baskeball, baseball, etc.) not combat sports.

boxing is the best sport in the world, bar none. Nobody gives a fuck about mma. Anyone who wants to be an mma'er around age 13 is probably on their middle school golf, swimming, or hockey team instead realistically.

Majority of the male youth are justin bieber fans they will probably aspire to be ring card girls in the phillipines.

Seriously, this is right.

But between the two I'd say boxing still. I know a lot of inner city kids from NY that ran with gangs and all boxed. Don't know how serious they were or if they were good, but they talked about it a bit.

MMA is even or catching up around the suburbs in NY. Maybe not in people that are serious about going pro, but most of the BJJ and Judo guys I train with at least check out the MMA classes, its a good time.

boxing is the best sport in the world, bar none. Nobody gives a fuck about mma. Anyone who wants to be an mma'er around age 13 is probably on their middle school golf, swimming, or hockey team instead realistically.

Golf, swimming or hockey team? Where the fuck do you guys get this shit from?

Truer words have never been spoken....

I walked into the local barbershop the other day and was shocked to see young male kids eagerly waiting to get the "Beiber 'do". Their mothers were even fuckin taking pictures for god's sake.

White- MMA.
Brown, Black- Boxing.

Hands down in the US its MMA.The popularity of the sport is through the roof right now. Think how much exposure MMA is getting and how many kids are seeing that. I just walked in to wal mart last night and they had UFC shirts and a couple different other MMA brands. You dont see any boxing like that.
MMA is on TV almost daily. Espn, Spike, HDnet,MTV. With shows like Bully beatdown how can boxing compete with that right now. Boxing can they just arent doing it for whatever reason.

And to those who are like kids are going to Boxing for money. Kids rarely think about specifics. When they look at famous people in general, kids think they're rich. Plus kids just want to be superstars and right now between MMA and Boxing, MMA wins. Sad but true.

In north America it is for SURE MMA. In my school nobody knows who manny or floyd or the klitschko's are.

Hands down in the US its MMA.The popularity of the sport is through the roof right now. Think how much exposure MMA is getting and how many kids are seeing that. I just walked in to wal mart last night and they had UFC shirts and a couple different other MMA brands. You dont see any boxing like that.
MMA is on TV almost daily. Espn, Spike, HDnet,MTV. With shows like Bully beatdown how can boxing compete with that right now. Boxing can they just arent doing it for whatever reason.

And to those who are like kids are going to Boxing for money. Kids rarely think about specifics. When they look at famous people in general, kids think they're rich. Plus kids just want to be superstars and right now between MMA and Boxing, MMA wins. Sad but true.

MMA on espn?
Boxing is on Showtime, HBO, FSN, espn 2/classic/deportes, Telemundo, Telefutura, TV Azteca, and if you have the Spanish package, you see it on Central and South American channels.

White- MMA.
Brown, Black- Boxing.

Sounds about right.

Cain, Bones and Harris sure use a lot of makeup.

What does that have anything to do with this thread? We're discussing the youth's preferences. Not what current fighters prefer.

MMA might be more popular in the US at the moment but that doesn't necessarily reflect on what young kids want to be when they grow up.

Going back to what Xcutioner said, race/social class plays a big part in what kids aspire to be.
I remember watching this Christmas special last year where a large group of young, poor urban kids (primarily comprised of african americans and latinos) were paid a visit by Floyd Mayweather and the kids all jumped up and got excited as hell. Now if, instead of Floyd, Chuck Liddell or GSP or Brock had walked in, I doubt they would've been as excited.

Likewise, if it was a group of middle class, suburban kids (comprised of caucasians or asians), and Floyd walked in, they might not be as excited. But if it was Chuck, Brock, etc, they'd be more enthusiastic.

In fact, now that I think about it, I think many young kids (elementary school age) aspire to be professional wrestlers more than boxers or MMA fighters. Keep in mind that, at that impressionable age, seeing jacked wrestlers surrounded by adoring fans and wrestling divas in bras/thongs is more appealing to them than the other two (boxing/mma).

Back