What does it take to be an MMA coach?

Xoleth

You're only winning if someone is losing.
@Black
Reaction score
So,

Plinio Cruz is the coach of Alex Pereira
Cruz was an MMA fighter, he went 8-9 in his career.

Not that this would be problematic, since some respected boxing coaches had average or even bad fighting records (e.g. Ricky Funez)
But I am looking at his technique and it seems bad

Also, Tim Welch, the coach of Sean O'Malley.

He went 14-6 in MMA, beating most guys with negative records (3-3, 6-27, 8-14, 18-26 - his last 4 wins)
And I am looking at the way he fights

What makes these guys coaches?
How can you be a respected coach when, during your fighting career, your technique was quite bad?

It seems to me that coaches who never had a fighting career just seem to offer better advices. E.g. Trevor Wittman, Erick Nicksick

I'm not saying this guy was onto something, but maybe, just maybe

dm_200627_MMA_One_Play_Mike_Perry_girlfriend.jpg

Those who know, do; those who understand, teach🌠

-Aristotle

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Just the ability to be able to spot what areas of their game your fighter needs to work on and being able to get them to focus on that and impart the information in the right way.

Also the ability to study opponents and help your fighter gameplan to beat them.

Also if the fighter actually listens helping them get the appropriate sparring in.

Historically in all sports be it MMA basketball football hockey -- all the best coaches were subpar athletes in most cases.

Reactions: HHJ
Diego-Sanchez-Training-with-Joshua-Fabia-1-41-screenshot.png

An effective mma coach has a shared vision aligned with core values and understands what it will take to reach their fighters goals.

Charge a lot of money and run the gym like a cult

plinio cruz was my first coach back in 2009 when I began training. he coached bjj at the gym I trained at. I was not impressed by his performance. I remember him fighting Sapo Natal and getting steamrolled which is when I realized he was not all that knowledgeable. He seemed to gain some fight knowledge when he trained with Luiz Azeredo, whom I have also trained with. he is an encyclopedia of mma techniques. truly a fighting genuis and a genuine guy as well. another very good coach that jumps out at me is Paul Rodriguez, who Mike Perry would train with at ATT orlando. One of the nicest people you could ever meet and he preaches the respect aspect of martial arts.

to answer the question though I believe the most successful coaches just so happen to know the right people. plinio did not even teach striking at the gym when I trained with him, it baffles me that he is coaching one of the greatest strikers in combat sports history. I will be cornering a friend of mine who is fighting this weekend, if we werent friends and trained together though this opportunity would not have presented itself to me. My opinion is that it is all about who you know.

Back