What Do You Think About Windows 8?

yes, i have it on my Aspire S7 and it works well after jumping through hoops to get the wireless to work. wouldnt use it on home desktop though...

I think the smaller screen helps with the lack of touch for me. Maybe it's all in my head.

for the casual user, I feel a tablet/touch screen device would be best to learn off of. using the standard K&M combo would be too confusing (as seen int he video)

I installed it. It's great. I see a lot of people complaining who obviously never tried it for a prolonged period of time. There's a learning curve to it but it's smoother, faster, more stable, and more secure than 7.

Running it on my laptop and my desktop, it's fine.
If you really miss the start menu grab Classic Shell.
I don't really mind what the screen looks like for the 3 seconds I'm typing in the name of the application I'm starting, so whatever.

Winkey+X is great. Much quicker access to anything you need than going through the start menu. New task manager is great, no need to download a third party one anymore.
Built in hypervisor is nice for running a virtual machine or two, but I'm just so used to virtualbox I haven't messed with it yet.
Don't really get the hate for it, it's like 7 but better.

Nice, you just saved me. Windows shell is the shit. Ok now I say windows 8 w/ windows shell is the best windows yet.

Unfortunately if you buy a new computer you are pretty much stuck with it. I heard that installing windows 7 on a windows 8 computer can cause some problems. It is like when vista came out and everyone just wanted XP.

Pros: Visually it's nice, it's faster than 7 and seems to be more stable.

Cons: It's very un-user friendly if you are using it as a desktop with a mouse. No start menu, multiple screens to click out of, menus popping out of the corners of the screen accidently. It's very touch based and just doesn't work well with a mouse.

There are some registry tricks to turn off certain annoyances but I think it's ridiculous that Microsoft doesn't let you turn on the original Start button or completely disable the Metro UI or Charms interface.

Microsoft keeps saying they didn't take away the Start Button and that it's now just your entire screen. No one wants to click Start and have their entire screen taken up by a list of programs. It's very inconvenient and kills productivity.

Look guys, I just started this thread and complained. It took a 10 second download to completely change my tune. Download classic shell and you will see what I mean. Windows 8 with classic shell is great. Better then 7 even. Almost like a windows 7.1.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Is this classic shell thing provided by microsoft or 3rd party? If 3rd party, is it supported by ads or something? I just bought a new desktop during the african american friday sales and have the option to upgrade to Windows 8 for free. Wondering if I should pull the trigger.

Windows 8 gets a lot of ridiculous hate. You can get a program to replace the beloved start menu ...

Im not feeling it. I immediately switch to desktop as soon as I boot up. It's a dumbed down Windows IMO.

It does boot up significantly faster than my Win7 machine and I can do everything I used to do in Win7.

The charms bar is lame and shutting down is stupid. Luckily I found this

Is this classic shell thing provided by microsoft or 3rd party? If 3rd party, is it supported by ads or something? I just bought a new desktop during the african american friday sales and have the option to upgrade to Windows 8 for free. Wondering if I should pull the trigger.

It's a third party application but it's free and it doesn't cost anything either.
There are several different alternatives, but classic shell is by far the most standard old school start menu like.

Im not feeling it. I immediately switch to desktop as soon as I boot up. It's a dumbed down Windows IMO.

It does boot up significantly faster than my Win7 machine and I can do everything I used to do in Win7.

The charms bar is lame and shutting down is stupid. Luckily I found this

Winkey+C to bring up the charms menu, but I never use it.
Winkey+F to search, Winkey+Q to search within the active app or just search for apps from desktop.
Winkey+X to get to control panel, task manager, disk management, all of that shit.

Never shut down, but Ctrl+Alt+Del lets you shut down just like 7.
Maybe the reason I don't mind it at all is I never use the mouse more than I absolutely have to?

I'm looking at new lenovo laptops. No option to Have windows 7 from factory.. :(

Winkey+X to get to control panel, task manager, disk management, all of that shit.

That's useful

I tried to install my HP printer software on my HP PC but it wouldn't install. The only option on the install disc was EXIT. The print drivers are installed on the PC already but I can't figure out how to scan documents since I can't install the software that let me do that on my Win7 box.

Tried looking for new software on HP's support site?
Or you could try running the setup you have in compatibility mode.

Check the HP website to see if they have a new software package for Windows 8. They usually make that available for the folks that lose their disks. That's more an HP thing than Windows really.

On topic: As a Firmware Tester I don't have much choice but to learn how to use the new OS' as they come out. Windows 8 is confusing at first 9 (and undoubtedly designed with a touch interface in mind), but after spending some time with it I don't see where all the angst comes from. Heck I didn't initially like how certain Windows options moved from place to place from XP to 7, but after some time with it everything became seamless. The same stands for Windows 8. There is a lot readily available for you under that confusing mess of tiles (Yes, it a mess), but if you are really die hard about wanting the older interface setting things up to drop the Metro UI and going straight to the Desktop (or using a 3rd part UI/Desktop application like Classic Shell) is easy to do and takes a few moments out of your time.

People are comparing Win8 to Vista, which is ignorant as hell. It's got a lot more working for it, and if you're dead set on using the older interface it's not a hard issue to deal with (and you only have to deal with it once for that matter).

Last edited:
I installed it on my laptop a couple days ago. It was only $40, I just got a Windows 8 phone, and I've never really had up-to-date computer software before, so I said what the hell.

I honestly don't see the benefit over Windows 7. The start menu is unnecessary, and it basically makes the desktop useless. Navigating the computer is frustrating. Turning the computer off or restarting it is more complicated unless you use a shortcut. And my computer doesn't even start up any more quickly.

"If it's not broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Running it on my laptop and my desktop, it's fine.
If you really miss the start menu grab Classic Shell.
I don't really mind what the screen looks like for the 3 seconds I'm typing in the name of the application I'm starting, so whatever.

Winkey+X is great. Much quicker access to anything you need than going through the start menu. New task manager is great, no need to download a third party one anymore.
Built in hypervisor is nice for running a virtual machine or two, but I'm just so used to virtualbox I haven't messed with it yet.
Don't really get the hate for it, it's like 7 but better.

Good info. Thanks.

I'll look into classic shell.

Back