What Do You Think About Windows 8?

Cazadores

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just started using it this evening, and I can say it is extremely touch friendly. Problem is, I am using it without a touch device. If you don't have a touch device you will mostly be on the desktop portion, which is basically just an app of windows 8... All I can say is... What were they thinking?? I miss windows 7.

I'm not going to bitch out yet. Maybe I will get use to it, but I don't see how it will ever be as easy to use with no start button. Everything was accessible, searchable, editable, and manageable through that start menu. Now you just have something called desktop assist. Problem is, it doesn't allow you to move things from desktop assist onto the desktop. Such an easy task, and I can't figure out how to do it..

I played with it again today to help a friend set up his mail severs and such.

my god it was annoying.

I like it on my netbook. The only thing that is annoying is that the driver for the wireless card has yet to be upgraded so sometimes coming out of sleep, I have to turn it off and on to get it to pick up my network.

No desire to put it on my other computers though.

I'm sticking with windows 7. Has never failed me..ever

Windows 8 is fucking annoying...not broken or anything..just a bitch to work with

Windows 7 is great. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

I thought about getting 8 just to support Bill Gates but then when I found out that Windows Media Center wasn't coming with it I said, "no way."

Without WMC I can't watch TV. Plus, taking away the start button would not benefit me in any way. Maybe a common user doesn't need it but as a power user that would be liking taking the front door off my house and putting a brick wall up instead and then have me use the windows to get in.

Thanks, but, no, thanks.

Bill Gates fanboys....

Those exist?

I bought 7 (first operating system I've ever paid for) just because I was used to using Windows, couldn't be bothered constantly messing about with pirate OS software anymore, and didn't fancy taking the time to get to grips with Linux. Helping Bill Gates out was the last thing on my mind...

It probably shouldn't be on anything but a tablet-like device.

I got a desktop so I have exactly ZERO interest in that hunk of crap tablet OS.

Running it on my laptop and my desktop, it's fine.
If you really miss the start menu grab Classic Shell.
I don't really mind what the screen looks like for the 3 seconds I'm typing in the name of the application I'm starting, so whatever.

Winkey+X is great. Much quicker access to anything you need than going through the start menu. New task manager is great, no need to download a third party one anymore.
Built in hypervisor is nice for running a virtual machine or two, but I'm just so used to virtualbox I haven't messed with it yet.
Don't really get the hate for it, it's like 7 but better.

Im buying a brand new laptop soon, most of them have Windows 8 already installed on them.

I want to stick with Windows 7, do I have to format and install it myself or should I just get a laptop thats a little bit older and comes with Windows 7?

Thinks windows 8 is made for touch screens.

Awkward to use for mouse/kb users.

Thinks windows 8 is made for touch screens.

Awkward to use for mouse/kb users.

Just don't use the start screen and touch app shit? The desktop is still the EXACT same thing. I still don't get it.

Just don't use the start screen and touch app shit? The desktop is still the EXACT same thing. I still don't get it.

there is no start (window) button anymore. Finding a program not on desktop is a bitch.

there is no start (window) button anymore. Finding a program not on desktop is a bitch.

No, it works just like with the start menu.
You hit the fucking windows logo key and start typing the name of the application you want, then you hit enter and the application starts.

I used it once on a laptop I was given to give a check by someone who had no idea about PCs and wanted me to check it out and I thought it wasn't as neat as any of the past OSs. It was very annoying at first for like 5 to 10 minutes, afterwards I got the gist of it quickly. However I would recommend you stay away from it without a touchscreen device. I personaly prefer Windows 7 which I've had no problem with.

If you are running a little sissy computer (AKA Tablet) i'm sure Windows 8 is fine. If you are running a gaming rig or pretty much any desktop, i wouldn't even touch that crap and go with Windows 7. Same with a laptop.

I like it on my netbook. The only thing that is annoying is that the driver for the wireless card has yet to be upgraded so sometimes coming out of sleep, I have to turn it off and on to get it to pick up my network.

No desire to put it on my other computers though.

yes, i have it on my Aspire S7 and it works well after jumping through hoops to get the wireless to work. wouldnt use it on home desktop though...

Back