What do you guys do between matches (tournament)?

Cooz

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For those that have competed, what goes on between your matches.

Try not to faint?

Drink lots of water/gatorade/coffee?

Watch opponents?

Skip rope?

You get the idea.

I drink some water, pace around, sit down for a minute and watch opponents, then pace around some more. I also like to put my jacket (and sometimes even long pants) back on to stay warm.

Lick my balls.

...because I can.

i see how many consecutive carwheels i can pull off before A.) start to puke B.) nose starts to bleed.

1 guy got up to 104.. I WILL BEAT HIM>

some people bring a pillow and nap. i used to drink a lot of gatorade b/c i droped a lot of weight, but this is a bad idea unless u have a lot of time to absorb that liquid before ur next match.

I usually put something warm on my gi and warm up. I also drink water and eat some bananas because the gaps between matches tend to be quite long.

I always try to rest but not sleep. I also like try to stay calm, pace around, and maybe do some light sparring. I drink some water so I can say hydrated, but not drink so much that I will puke.

Eat snack bars, pasta and drink Lucozade. Sometimes watch matches, mostly try focus myself on the next match and what I want to try win by.

Try to relax-(Haven't got much success on that lol), eat a snack-bar, drink a litle water while listening to music. I try to sit somewhere where i can see the fights and plan scenarios and strategyes in my head.

I like bannans and water, I find Gatorade is too sweet and gives me tummy aches at tournaments. I also like to rest but not sleep (it makes me feel sluggish), and I skip rope to warm up

wish I had a rough estimate of when i was gonna be called out. SOmetimes it's in 5 minutes, sometimes hours.

ClubberLange said:
wish I had a rough estimate of when i was gonna be called out. SOmetimes it's in 5 minutes, sometimes hours.

I agree on that... ussually im being called like after 15-20 minutes... once i have been called 5 minutes after my first fight... fuck man this is crap, had no-time to recover from the 1rst fight stress and shit...

ARIS said:
I agree on that... ussually im being called like after 15-20 minutes... once i have been called 5 minutes after my first fight... fuck man this is crap, had no-time to recover from the 1rst fight stress and shit...
fuck yea. First tourney i was in, I'd just won a match, went for a piss straight after, and my mate ran into the dunny to tell me i was on again. Surely they could work out a system where u get a rough idea of when yr on next. Get a whiteboard or something

ClubberLange said:
fuck yea. First tourney i was in, I'd just won a match, went for a piss straight after, and my mate ran into the dunny to tell me i was on again. Surely they could work out a system where u get a rough idea of when yr on next. Get a whiteboard or something

Same here bro.

Finished my division, then went up a belt for the hell of it, placed second.

I went to the bathroom took off my gi and then someone I never even knew said they were calling my name for the absolute's of my division. I finished my business and got on the mat with 10 seconds to go before I forfeited the match.

I ended up winning but went from mat to mat one after another and was dying of fatigue.

Some lady in the stand yelled, "C'mon big guy you can do it." So gassed worse than anybody I ever seen I got the Americana for the absolute win.

But brothers let me tell you that I couldn't lift my arm or head as they raised it. I took the closest seat I could find and huffed and puffed for a good five or ten minutes. My cardio really sucked but tell me who can go from Mat 1 to Mat 3, to Mat 2, to Mat 4 for the finals with little less than a minute rest?.

They should really give contestants a chance to recover and run another division absolute or two then go final eight, run another two divisions, then final four, then run the other two division then finals.

Seems easy enough to do.

I know what you guys are talking about. Alot of BJJ tourneys that I have been to have always fucked something up in some way. I had one match and had to wait for thirty minutes for the next match, and then after that match, I had to wait for five minutes until the next match. The problem is that you have to keep warmed up and loose but you never know when the match starts. So basically you have to be warmed up and then you eventually cool down, and then you have to warm up again, and this zaped alot of energy from me. Over the years I have learned better though...

ClubberLange said:

Agreed.

I usually pace around. After my first fight I calm down a little, but there's always a constant buzz of nervousness. I hate it when there's long breaks between matches (i.e. more than 15 minutes) because I get real fidggety and worked up again. Winning the first match is huge for reducing nervousness for me.

I might try napping between matches in the future, because I always feel oddly exhausted at tournaments.

I find some space and lay down and just kind of zone out, close my eyes and focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back