• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you get for affiliation???

In a post work economy, I could freely offer my services to everybody interested.
My "seminars" are called 'everything I know'. Pretty basic; no need to pay me.

I don't see any $ signs when I think of jiu Jitsu. My business strategy is "don't work very hard and don't make much money." For some reason investors aren't interested...

In a post work economy, I could freely offer my services to everybody interested.
My "seminars" are called 'everything I know'. Pretty basic; no need to pay me.

I don't see any $ signs when I think of jiu Jitsu. My business strategy is "don't work very hard and don't make much money." For some reason investors aren't interested...

One big thing I don't like about Jiu jitsu is the financial barrier to entry, and the de facto socioeconomic eligibility that comes with it. Where you are in the East Bay, there should be tons of free BJJ programs for black and brown kids, especially with the Diaz bros credibility as warriors for the common man. So many Oakland kids burn out on wanting to be a football player like Marshawn Lynch, but there's so many other athletic worlds out there.

One big thing I don't like about Jiu jitsu is the financial barrier to entry, and the de facto socioeconomic eligibility that comes with it. Where you are in the East Bay, there should be tons of free BJJ programs for black and brown kids, especially with the Diaz bros credibility as warriors for the common man. So many Oakland kids burn out on wanting to be a football player like Marshawn Lynch, but there's so many other athletic worlds out there.

They want to be Football players because of the $$$. Don't get into BJJ if you've planning on making Football money.

They want to be Football players because of the $$$. Don't get into BJJ if you've planning on making Football money.

These are poor kids who want to be football players because it's one of the only things that has public teams in their neighborhoods and schools. Instead of handwringing over how much BJJ schools should charge college students, start a free club in a poor neighborhood and recruit some poor kids to join up. They will welcome the opportunity because opportunity is the biggest thing they lack.

Who is going to subsidise the cost of the mats, rent, and insurance? As a school owner I get the idea of giving back and I do.....but i am not in to do this for free. It's a shit ton of work you dont realize.

You may think you do know how much work it is, but it's even more than what you think.

Where do you live? A friend of mine is putting together a free program in Oakland. I agree in the cost of BJJ being so high that less fortunate people(especially kids) are often priced out. The same can be said about competitive soccer. IMO the best solution is for instructors top have a few scholarships available for less fortunate kids like they do in Brazil.

Last edited:

I disagree. Soccer and Baseball players make more money but in the US, our underpriviledged aren't really participating in them like Football or Basketball. Most of the kids in Oakland are played those two because that is what they are exposed to the most.

Last edited:
Who is going to subsidise the cost of the mats, rent, and insurance? As a school owner I get the idea of giving back and I do.....but i am not in to do this for free. It's a shit ton of work you dont realize.

You may think you do know how much work it is, but it's even more than what you think.

You could just let two underprivileged kids train for free.

I did let one kid train for free until he found a job, now he's proud to pay his dues. As the kids programs grows I will "sponsor" some if I find the right kids

I can't speak for other associations but the RMNU management team is very accessible and attuned to the needs of its members. Academies pay a reasonable monthly fee.
We can wear any brand Gi that we'd like but are required to be patched. I've found that after buying a Gi and putting the patches on, its cheaper to buy the association Gi. The RMNU Gi's are very durable.
Each academy can create their own merchandise and use the association's logo.
I think there's a two seminar requirement. If Robson is available, he'll come or he'll send a surrogate.
We're lucky that we're only 1.5 hrs away from HQ. We have a regularly scheduled road trip each month to train with that team and hopefully have some face time with The Man.
As far as joining the affiliation, I know that there are several interviews, including mandatory Face to Face, with the applicant before being accepted into the association. Robson knows ALL his black belts and has high expectations of them.
We are provided a basic curriculum as a building block but it's up to the academy to develop their students. The instructors are given access to training videos to assist in developing lesson plans.
They are given business advise on how to promote and build their academies.

Super worth it.

^^This...
I am one of the rep of the Organization.. we dont really require seminars but its best you at least have one or two a year to make sure everyone knows who the main person is (Robson).>

We also host a Camp in Canada and Tampa Every year and everyone (even people outside the association are welcome) to attend. It usually about 10+ black belts on the mat a any given time in Tampa and in Canada This past month we had about 8 on the mat.... they are getting bigger and bigger every year..

but as far as the association.. Everyone that is part of our association just about EVERY one of his Black Belts are accessible at any given time. I can even contact the ones he has in Brazil and they will get back to me as soon as they can. which is kinda awesome. My coach is His 2nd american black belt and he's Robson right hand man.. My gym is where Robson First started when he got into the US. So that bond between then is deep..

I switched from another organization and it wasnt as well structured as this one is. When i was purple belt, I wanted to know something and my coach told me to reach out to Robson ( thinking he would ignore me) he answered my question and even remembered when he came into visit months later and showed me personally... Now, I cant get him to stop calling me Phil Davis...

Associations a great if they structured the right way and kept in the same page with everyone in the organization.

Once jiu Jitsu is in the schools then everybody will have access. I think eventually it will happen. My pta has after school enrichment programs. I can't teach jiu Jitsu for insurance reasons. Some lawyer needs to work that out. All I need is a mat and a room.

Back