What do you drink while working out?

Payne

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section.

But what do you drink while working out? I'm about 5'11. 245lbs.
When I work out, i mostly do cardio, some weights, more cardio.

My arms and legs are pretty built, but my mid section i need to lose lots of weight. i got a tank abbott situation going on. So I wanna build muscle and lose fat...

should I stick with water? or something else? I was told to drink creatine during, and protein shake after the work out. but i heard lots of things, so i'd like the opinion of people who know what would probably be best.

I'd stick with water. You probably shouldn't be consuming any extra calories during your workouts if fat loss is your primary goal.

Considering your goals (weight loss), I would stick with water during your workouts and whey protein post workout (I like whey isolate because it doesn't sit as heavy for me and absorbs quickly). Stay away from meal replacements like muscle milk post work out for your goals because they have some excess fat/carbs that you do not need.

And add burpees as part of your cardio routine.

I used to be 5'8" 228 and drank nothing but water during workouts.

Today I'm at 167, but not as much muscle as I'd like. Always wondered if drinking creatine/protein would help with that, but was afraid of it slowing my weight loss, too.

I just drink water or the new G2 Gatorade (It's low-cal and more watered down) because normal gatorade makes me feel sick while running

I only drink water, but I've been wanting to try BCAA+ glutamine. I'm 5'9 @190lbs

I drink CytoMax and add 1 teaspoon of BCAA's to it.

Post workout is whey protein shake.

I drink smart water:
Nutrition Facts ~
Calories: 0
Total Fat: 0g
Sodium: 0mg
Total Carbs: 0g
Protein: 0g

Includes electrolytes!!!

I drink CytoMax and add 1 teaspoon of BCAA's to it.

Post workout is whey protein shake.

How has that worked for you? I'm considering changing over to using all cytosport products for my shakes / drinks. It seems like everything I make custom, cytosport has an alternative that is actually cheaper :rolleyes:.

water + BCAA/Maltodextrin/dextrose mix. But im not concerned with weight loss at the moment.

~Foz

First and foremost, do what works for you.

With that said...

This probably goes without saying, but proper nutrition is vital here. Go to precisionnutrition.com, read the D&S FAQ, and Google a guy named Berardi. One of your best weapons in the fight for both body comp and optimal athletic ability is the right diet. With proper nutrition/supplementation and training, body comp will optimize as you "build muscle" and enhance athletic ability.

I'm of the belief that some sort of periWO nutrition is helpful regardless of what your goals are. Here's what I currently drink during my strength/weight/sprint workouts:

• 1.5 servings of Endurox R4
  • 5g of BCAAs

Take some Lipo6 30 minutes b4 work out to burn all that fat around your midsection.

Protein-Creatine Drink prior to workout/ H20 during and after.

Start your workout with some strong sprints or run a mile, anything to get your heart running at a fast pace. - Circuit training is good for weight loss.

Then hit up your workout plan. . . whatever it may be.

Do alot of ab work if that's your main goal to get rid of your Tank Belly. Though it's a bitch to get going . . just continue to do ab work everyday.

Protein-Creatine Drink prior to workout H20 during and after.

Better PWO than preWO.

Start your workout with some strong sprints or run a mile, anything to get your heart running at a fast pace.

Then hit up your workout plan. . . whatever it may be.

Nooooooo! If anything, that should take place after his "workout plan" (if we're talking weights).

Do alot of ab work if that's your main goal to get rid of your Tank Belly. Though it's a bitch to get going . . just continue to do ab work everyday.

LOL... Can't spot reduce my friend. Eat right and train. As body comp improves, so will the fatty gut. That's not to say that ab/core work isn't important -- 'cause it is -- but not in terms of ripping up his midsection.

Better PWO than preWO.

Nooooooo! If anything, that should take place after his "workout plan" (if we're talking weights).

LOL... Can't spot reduce my friend. Eat right and train. As body comp improves, so will the fatty gut. That's not to say that ab/core work isn't important -- 'cause it is -- but not in terms of ripping up his midsection.

Agree to disagree, This is just the routine I've used and has worked for me. . . My approach to weight training and weight loss is not in the more common conventional ideals. But I'am satisfied with my personal results.

Water.

Or occasionally iced green tea.

I make the iced green tea myself, so it usually depends on how much I've planned ahead.

+1 for the green tea.

i agree that water is your best option for pure weight loss, but if you don't need to lose weight fast or do not mind a slower weight loss, you could possibly consume a quality carb/protein/bcaa drink.

I drink a lemon-lime Powerade with two TBSP of vanilla protein and a TSP of BCAAs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this combination actually stimulates fat burning and is anti-catabolic, despite the extra sugar/calories. This is only something you want to drink during your workout. I also believe it's add about 35g simple carbs and 15g protein immediately after your workout. This is true even if you're trying to cut fat.

Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But this combination has worked well for me.

Agree to disagree, This is just the routine I've used and has worked for me. . . My approach to weight training and weight loss is not in the more common conventional ideals. But I'am satisfied with my personal results.

What are you talking about? Every fat dumbass in my gym tries to spot reduce their tub of lard by doing thousands of crunches. If that isn't a conventional ideal, I don't know what is. Regardless, the conventional ideal is wrong. Just because doing crunches makes you lose weight, doesn't make it the best. You lose fat because of the calories you burn. Crunches are VERY inefficient at burning calories. You'd burn more calories taking 400mg of caffeine after your workout than you would tacking on 10 minutes of nonstop crunches.

Also, if you are already a low bodyfat person, you'll notice a huge difference from doing ab work. That is because your abs are already visible, and become larger. It doesn't mean the fat goes away, it just means your abs became bigger. This is why you have all these athletic women with huge, fine asses. They aren't ripped with muscle, the fat is still there. The cottage cheese is just gone. The reason? Muscle presses the fat and makes the body at the skin level more pleasant to look it.

Back