what do non americans think about the standard american accent?

Yeah, it's fucking weird. In a lot of the more rural areas of California, people have southern accents, or something like it. I don't get it.

This is true and I don't get it either. I've met people from Riverside and Fresno who have a retarded twang and say "ain't".

Im from central VA , about an hour from DC and have a mild southern accent , while my inlaws are from New Jersey and my wifes brother/sister in law are from upstate New York . Whenever I go to visit them youd think I was Colonel Sanders or something. Of course the same thing works in reverse. " how about some quawfee!"

I do the same to my Wisconsin family members. "Hey, hey say 'about' again!"

American accents remind me of TV as I grew up watching alot of American TV and Movies.

This is true and I don't get it either. I've met people from Riverside and Fresno who have a retarded twang and say "ain't".
Yeah, you're right. I have heard Central Valley people talk like that. I guess it's any rural area in California.

I've never really had an opinion tbh

I got a serious thing for deep south though. I call up Texas or Atlanta at work sometimes and shit is steamy. I hear that accent and I want to squeal like a pig

Moved here 12 years ago and I hardly notice the Southern-Texas accent anymore. But I can now tell immediately if someone is from another Southern State.

I like the Georgia and Oklahoma accents, they seem more refined and not so whiney or twangy. Maybe it's because they don't try to talk so fast like other southern or cajun accents.

Louisiana or Florida? Eh man? Not so much...

Old school North Eastern american accent sounds pretty awesome to my ears (think Jack Lemmon in Glengarry Glenn Ross).

The nasal and metallic shit punctuated by "like" and "oh my god" that many young Murrcans use nowadays is an insult to Indo-European languages.

Isn't it an exaggerated long island / NJ one?

Pretty much. I was watching Americans worse cooks or whatever it is called on Food Network and this guy's voice was driving me nuts. "Ooohhh muuuhhhyy gaaaawdddd.. hoowwww dooooo youuuu dooooo disssssth" How about you jump on a driedel and spin your ass out of here

I don't notice too much unless its really out of place. I'm from Toronto, when I viisted Oklahoma, a lady working at the hotel said I had a strange accent. That was a first.

I cant stand it when people say "aint"

sounds uneducated and the person saying it would follow up with something even more stupid.

Thanks to our movies/tv the Californian accent is very familiar and normal to most people.

Back