what do non americans think about the standard american accent?

FrankensteinMMA

Sookies boyfriend
@Brown
Reaction score
in america people tend to have immediate impressions on foreign accents. the english accent is often seen as gay and uptight and oftentimes sophisticated.

america has allot of variants when it comes to accents. some like the jersey and southern ones are pretty distinct.

but what about the standard everyday american accent? what do people think about it? is it romantic? music to the ears? funny? does it make you want to have it?

whats your favorite kind of american accent?

Being a Canadian, it sounds normal to me.

But I'll share a story. Years ago I was on a road trip around the western states. Was somewhere, probably northeast California. Walked into a store and me and my friend were doing a mocking version of a southern accent. The clerk, a southern Belle type said

"Now y'all must be from the south".

Oh shit. We didn't want to lie, but also didn't want to admit that we were making fun of a southern accent. So we just answered everything "yes maam, no maam". I think we got away with it.

Last edited:
Its funny that you mention an English accent but go on to say how much vatiety there is in American accents. There are huge variants in england alone and some of them i cant understand. To an outsider american accents sound hardh, brash, fake, insensire and full of confidence

I'm from Toronto so I sound American. The girls in the UK love my accent when I go over there.

Over here no one has ever complimented my voice.

Is normal.
Great response for any thread.

I'm born and raised in NYC, my accent is horrible. I always go for women outside of NY, because I don't want her to sound anything like me.

I'm from Toronto so I sound American. The girls in the UK love my accent when I go over there.

Accents aside, I often judge people by their manners. I mistook an American once as a Canadian because he was polite.

for some reason this bolded bit got me off guard and was absolutely hiliarious!

tumblr_static__640_v2.jpg

I'm born and raised in NYC, my accent is horrible. I always go for women outside of NY, because I don't want her to sound anything like me.
one thing you have going for you though is you can properly get angry and it sounds natural. It's extra funny when some dude from like Wisconsin starts say, "now now, I'm um really not happy!"

I don't notice too much unless its really out of place. I'm from Toronto, when I viisted Oklahoma, a lady working at the hotel said I had a strange accent. That was a first.
I find the stereotypical NY/NJ accent annoying

Some won't agree with me on this, but I like the southern drawl

I don't notice too much unless its really out of place. I'm from Toronto, when I viisted Oklahoma, a lady working at the hotel said I had a strange accent. That was a first.
I find the stereotypical NY/NJ accent annoying

Some won't agree with me on this, but I like the southern drawl
Southern speech is more varied. It can some straight meth trash to straight Rhett Butler.

I always like to hear people from other countries making fun of our accents. It gives me insight into how they hear us.

I liked when Aziz Ansari talking about his parents and how they heard English. It's interesting stuff.

Southern speech is more varied. It can some straight meth trash to straight Rhett Butler.
Although I just remembered that most of them, including Clark Gable, did not have southern accent in that shitty movie. You know what I mean tho

one thing you have going for you though is you can properly get angry and it sounds natural. It's extra funny when some dude from like Wisconsin starts say, "now now, I'm um really not happy!"
When I visit other places they love my accent, but I dont think much of it.

When I rage out it sounds pretty terrifying, but I'm not much of a rager, and I rather smack someone than yell.

I've never really had an opinion tbh

I got a serious thing for deep south though. I call up Texas or Atlanta at work sometimes and shit is steamy. I hear that accent and I want to squeal like a pig

Your “standard” American accent sounds lazy and dumb to me, in comparison to say, a “standard” London accent, and I speak with the former when I speak English. I’ve met people who speak with sort of mix of both accents and that sound the coolest to me. I also like the way people from Brooklyn and Louisiana talk.

don't like the new york accent,other than that i don't mind american accents. most americans think I'm from australia when i talk,which i find pretty funny.

I'm from North Dakota and get asked if I'm Canadian.

i dont have a thick accent luckily. I have new york isms like GTFOHYEA but i dont say everything like that.

oh man my friend from norway visited new york and he couldnt stop saying GTFOH,he loved it

don't like the new york accent,other than that i don't mind american accents. most americans think I'm from australia when i talk,which i find pretty funny.
are you from sooth ifrica?

Back