Opinion What Do Countries With The Best Coronavirus Response Have in Common?

So....... are they lying because they are 3rd world and corrupt? Or are the cases low because of demographics and travel.
Both.
Kinda have to pick one. Otherwise you are just declaring we did a better job, and choosing what to believe to fit your initial judgement.
No. I can pick both. We (United States) have done a better job than Vietnam. Are you saying Vietnam, China and North Korea have done a better job than the U.S.? Yes, my belief is based on my judgement and knowledge. How else does someone come to have an opinion?

Both.
No. I can pick both. We (United States) have done a better job than Vietnam. Are you saying Vietnam, China and North Korea have done a better job than the U.S.? Yes, my belief is based on my judgement and knowledge. How else does someone come to have an opinion?

Lol, Its like schrodinger's disease. It has both more and less cases at the same time.

You can look at what each country did, and see of it worked. Vietnam banned all travel and hard lockdown for anywhere that had disease. Doesnt take a genius to figure out why that worked.

China pretended they disjt have a problem. Not tough to figure out why that didn't work.

North Korea we know essentially nothing about the response, so we don't know if they had problems or not.

You can just look at the avalibe information. Its not hard. Its not hard to figure out why a bunch of Asian countries had a plan for this either, they had a big scare for this exact situation pretty recently. SARS.

Demographics and international travel. Plus Vietnam is a communist country. U.S. population in 2020 is at about 331,000,000. Any state in the U.S. is better able to combat COVID-19 than Mozambique, Namibia, or Uganda. That's before federal help. ...and I would not trust any data coming from any of those 3 countries.

Having the tools to fight something doesnt much matter if you dont use them,or have effective leadership.
Despite all of America's wealth and technological advances, how many people in NY alone have died?

But you also said that these places couldnt compare to the states..
Finland
. Norway
. Denmark
. New Zealand
. Iceland
. Taiwan
. Vietnam

Id beg to differ.
And what does communist country even mean in 2020? Even China isnt a purely communist country. Vietnam definitely isnt.

Demographics and international travel. Plus Vietnam is a communist country. U.S. population in 2020 is at about 331,000,000. Any state in the U.S. is better able to combat COVID-19 than Mozambique, Namibia, or Uganda. That's before federal help. ...and I would not trust any data coming from any of those 3 countries.

You can't compare them directly, but not necessarily for the reasons you think. Vietnam has a population density of 290 people per square km, USA has 34 people per square km. Their entire economy is based on tourism and their international arrivals per capital is only about 1/3 lower than the USA.

THey have some population and demographic factors which mean they should fair better, but others that mean they should fare worse, if they'd allowed the virus to spread naturally.

The real difference is what I mentioned earlier. Vietnam were already extremely well prepared because they were already scared of a future SARS outbreak so they jumped into action from day 1, which is the best time to stop an outbreak by nipping it in the bud before it grows.

In the early stages Europe and the USA did nothing because they assumed it was going to be another regional outbreak which wouldn't effect them. They've complained in hindsight that the WHO didn't warn them, but they were told about human-human trasmission in January and then did nothing for 2 months because it was a hoax and it'll dissapear like a miracle.

Western countries allowed it to spread naturally, so unlike vietnam who stopped it through effective action, the spread is dicatated by demographics and population.

Comparing industrialized/modern nations to ones that are still developing is a pretty useless exercise
Also island nations that are very far away from the nearest country shouldn't count.

You can't compare them directly, but not necessarily for the reasons you think. Vietnam has a population density of 290 people per square km, USA has 34 people per square km. Their entire economy is based on tourism and their international arrivals per capital is only about 1/3 lower than the USA.

THey have some population and demographic factors which mean they should fair better, but others that mean they should fare worse, if they'd allowed the virus to spread naturally.

The real difference is what I mentioned earlier. Vietnam were already extremely well prepared because they were already scared of a future SARS outbreak so they jumped into action from day 1, which is the best time to stop an outbreak by nipping it in the bud before it grows.

In the early stages Europe and the USA did nothing because they assumed it was going to be another regional outbreak which wouldn't effect them. They've complained in hindsight that the WHO didn't warn them, but they were told about human-human trasmission in January and then did nothing for 2 months because it was a hoax and it'll dissapear like a miracle.

Western countries allowed it to spread naturally, so unlike vietnam who stopped it through effective action, the spread is dicatated by demographics and population.
A rare, sensible, post. Not a lot of people seems to appreciate the variables. Thanks.

latest

Countries that have elderly living with their family within a multi-generational home.

vs.

Countries that move the elderly into nursing homes.

How do those numbers compare?

Just thought I'd give a brief update now, almost a year later. The OP hasn't really changed. A few countries dropped off the list, but the story is very much the same.

Honestly there are so many factors that go into stat's on per capita deaths that it's stupid to even casually go into. Are they testing for the virus? Is there a lot of travel to and from the area? Do they even have trustworthy medical death records period? What is the population density? And so on.

Forbes posted this piece in mid-April:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivah...es-have-in-common-women-leaders/#7c6981153dec
CNN concluded at this same time that women are the best handlers of coronavirus:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/asia/women-government-leaders-coronavirus-hnk-intl/index.html

what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders
960x0.jpg

Resident intellectual @Queen B did a thread on these articles: (https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-6-most-successful-covid-countries.4101631/)

I thought it would be fun to do a follow up now a month later, so I made us a new graphic. Currently these are the 7 countries with the lowest deaths per capita:
43zZBOM.jpg

As any rational person should do, we must now update our assumptions in the face of new evidence. Based on new facts, it appears that women are not the best at handling the coronavirus. In fact, the best leaders to have during a pandemic would be leaders from third-world countries in Africa and South-East Asia.

I think the general gist would be women tend to be far more risk adverse than men, so are more likely to employ strict lockdown measures from the off.

Several of those women have since been, inevitably, hit by a virus which is NEVER gonna be kept away forever.

I think the general gist would be women tend to be far more risk adverse than men, so are more likely to employ strict lockdown measures from the off.

Several of those women have since been, inevitably, hit by a virus which is NEVER gonna be kept away forever.

Had Taiwan had a Male president ( the type with testicles inside a scrotum) they would still have handled it well because they have an infrastructure for it hell even if their president isTromp joe or Coumo grandma killer they would still have fared well because the contingency are already inplace

Easy.

Among those nations that actually have competent monitoring and reporting on the population's suffering at the hands of the disease (i.e. not China, African nations, Haiti, etc), they are de facto islands who moved aggressively first to administer mass testing, then followed that with strict lockdown measures. They all have sophisticated & generally socialized health care systems with strong emergency public health preparation.

Examples of these are New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Cuba, Taiwan, and Singapore/Malaysia.

Back