• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What country has the best/worst cuisine?

that is fucking potato level stupid. Sorry, you are the only one playing that shit rule
Well, Indian food around the world isn’t the fucking same as eating in India daily to get an overall feel of the food in the country.
It’s not the same.
Sorry.

I’ve spent decades traveling the world working and living in a lot of countries for 6 months at a time. I think I have a pretty good grasp on that.

if no one else feels the same fine, but it is what it is.

sorry if it hurts your feelers that you want to judge a countries cuisine by the swarma at your local Indian restaurant

But that's the point isn't it - there is no American food, really! All of your best food is from other countries/cultures. That's why its a melting pot and that's why I struggle to think of what is actually American food. Steak is not American food, its not anything, its a piece of a cow.

Same goes for us in the UK though, I struggle to find what is actually British food because all of our best food is not ours. Our actual food is bland.
The thing I think of most apart from your fried chicken, burger, hot dog is BBQ, I was smoking ribs, brisket or pork butt nearly every weekend in Virginia. With all the fixings like Mac and cheese, cornbread and collard greens. I hadn’t heard of grits till I moved there either, same as fried green tomatoes or sausage gravy.

all very good, just not for the waistline if you’re going for it every day.

Examples of American food

ground-pork-chili-2.jpg

Shrimp_gumbo.jpg

o_3.0.0.jpg

Giordanos-fixed-1024x576.jpg

nanas-soul-food-kitchen-chicken-800x800.jpg

20140715-po-boys-bevi-peacemaker-eric-leath-edit.jpg

CreoleFood.jpg

Persian food is top 5 if not too 3.

Their kabobs are unmatched. The Lebanese and other middle eastern place dry them out.
8d5bd609a72c0ac5a3c6cbce3a6bb723.jpg

Great salads.
Persian-Tomato-Cucumber-Salad-3.jpg

Their stews with that dried rice is something else.
ghormeh-sabzi-1200x754.jpg

Luckily, I live in LA where the Persian diaspora is fairly large and I can have top notch Persian food.

America/America
In the same sense, you could do England/England because they have some of the best restaurants in the world there (mainly in London) but the local cuisine absolutely sucks.

Well this is all subjective but...

Best: Vietnamese

Freshness, lightness, simultaneous simplicity and complexity. Gordon Ramsay has said the best dish he ever had in his entire life was a noodle soup made by a little old Vietnamese woman on a skiff in the Mekong Delta. It is called Hu Tieu.

Worst: Chinese

To be clear China is a big country with many different cuisines. But specifically northern style Chinese food like you will find around Beijing is GARBAGE. Greasy, oily, messy. Combined with a cultural penchant for consuming exotic and wild animals. Often animals that have died in pain, like they have been skinned or boiled alive. I don’t know why, there seems to be a belief it flavors the meat. And dogs.Yes, Chinese people eat fucking dogs. Some of the most unappetizing shit you will see in your life.

I'm not the most food savvy individual, but for best of what I've had I'd say Indian & Mexican. Lots of spices, robust flavor, converts easily to vegan.

Worst, not sure.

of the ones I have tried I would say Panama. Just bland as hell. There is a reason yoj can find restaurants from tons of latin American countries in the u.s, but you never see one from panama

Something I think to ponder also, for the responses in here , have you BEEN to these countries and eaten the local Cuisine?

I have and what I’m basing my responses on.

the way some replies read I’m thinking some are talking about eating food in their own country , from different places. Ie having Indian food in New York or London for example doesn’t do this thread it’s merit.

I mean I’m not gonna judge Italian food when I’m eating a Pizza from the New Orleans Pizza kitchen in Iquitos, Peru.....

(How ever it has better pizza IMO than half the pizza’s I’ve had in Italy lol)
I have to a certain extent. I've had French, Italian, Swiss, Corsican, Belgian, Dutch, British and Fijian food in those homelands. Then again, the best food I've had from those cuisines wasn't necessarily over there. For instance, to my recollection, the best Italian food I ever had was in London, not Italy.

I had oddly enough just been in several countries in Europe including Italy and returned to my "base" of London for a few days before flying back to the US. And the Italian meal I had in London was better than anything I had in Italy because it was made by one of the top Italian chefs. I could go on and on I guess. The best calamari I ever had wasn't in Italy either, it was in Boston, in the North End, which is the "Little Italy" of Boston. The best pizza I ever had wasn't in Italy either. I'd say I've had better pizza in both the US and France than in Italy. The Italians don't really take pizza seriously, it's just a snack for them basically.

I've had Indian food in several countries like the US, Fiji (where Indians were once a majority, and are still a large minority), UK and France, but I haven't traveled to India yet. It very well may be the case that you can find Indian food that's just as good there as you can find in the homeland. Or it may not be, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think the best Chinese food I ever had was in Amsterdam, but I've also had it in several countries, just not China yet. There are more authentic Chinese places where I live now (Boston), not just Americanized Chinese, because there are more recent immigrants and students from China and we have a large Chinese population.

I have to a certain extent. I've had French, Italian, Swiss, Corsican, Belgian, Dutch, British and Fijian food in those homelands. Then again, the best food I've had from those cuisines wasn't necessarily over there. For instance, to my recollection, the best Italian food I ever had was in London, not Italy.

I had oddly enough just been in several countries in Europe including Italy and returned to my "base" of London for a few days before flying back to the US. And the Italian meal I had in London was better than anything I had in Italy because it was made by one of the top Italian chefs. I could go on and on I guess. The best calamari I ever had wasn't in Italy either, it was in Boston, in the North End, which is the "Little Italy" of Boston. The best pizza I ever had wasn't in Italy either. I'd say I've had better pizza in both the US and France than in Italy. The Italians don't really take pizza seriously, it's just a snack for them basically.

I've had Indian food in several countries like the US, Fiji (where Indians were once a majority, and are still a large minority), UK and France, but I haven't traveled to India yet. It very well may be the case that you can find Indian food that's just as good there as you can find in the homeland. Or it may not be, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think the best Chinese food I ever had was in Amsterdam, but I've also had it in several countries, just not China yet. There are more authentic Chinese places where I live now (Boston), not just Americanized Chinese, because there are more recent immigrants and students from China and we have a large Chinese population.
Pizza in Italy sucks, and thats my point.
Other places it’s “changed” to more western pallets for everything and every type of cuisine basically.
Indian food in India for the most part sucks, for western pallets.

Only issue when you start comparing and contrasting food from certain regions that have a specific cuisine is ingredients. Certain plants and vegetables thrive in certain climates.
You can be an expert in making mexican food, but you can't replicate the type of produce you'll find in Oaxaca, or the type of cheese they make in Jalisco.

Indians, Thais, Mexicans etc are very serious about the quality of ingredients and its quality is vital to how they make the food. My best friend is Thai and he won't make certain dishes for us if he doesn't have a specific type of fermented shrimp paste, a specific pepper etc. That's the difference.

Britain, Holland, Nordic countries don't have an abundance of ingredients due to harsh winters, so their food is based off what you can ferment, jar, preserve. This was a big complaint in Nordic cuisine for a while, because they were all eating french and italian cuisine, which relies heavily on seasonal vegetables, whose season is close to non-existent in Nordic and Eastern European cultures. Idk if you know who Rene Redzepi is, but his journal is a great read. He cried for two weeks straight when *Denmark got hit with a harsh winter that wiped his spring vegetable supply clean out.

Last edited:
I feel China strengthened their position as worst cuisine by bat soup

Best - Scotland, Black pudding supper marinated for 7 hours in tennents super lager.

Pizza in Italy sucks, and thats my point.
Other places it’s “changed” to more western pallets for everything and every type of cuisine basically.
Indian food in India for the most part sucks, for western pallets.
Exactly. Those fools don’t even have ranch for their pizza.

Mexican/Singaporean.

Not that I hate Indonesian cousin its just among the foreign cuisines I have tried its the least I like

the Philippines due to how limited it is most of the dishes they make are just crappier versions of dishes from other countries.

I agree and I am Filipino lol..

I just find the flavours limited and some are meh... specially some of the vegetable dishes.

How did you even encounter Filipino food? I am quite surprised it is even mentioned here as its kinda forgettable mostly to be honest.

This isn't a fair question. Some countries like China have a multitude of cuisines. Others are tiny.

Some really good good Chinese cuisine and some really Shit tier.

Back