What Can I MAKE????

rickdog

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What Can I MAKE out of an old bar??? I got a new olympic bar from somebody I was moving (Not to mention 310lbs of weight) all for free. Anyway, My old Olympic bar had a warp in the middle but I do not want to throw it out. I wanted to use it to make something. I was thinking of taking one side and cutting it and using it as a Olypim weight loading pin for my RT. I was thinking of using the other side for levering and maybe take whats left in the center and have a nice writs roller by drilling a whole in the center and putting a cable through it.

Does anyone think that is a good idea, or can you think of better things to do with it? Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Urban, you are the genious when it comes to making stuff, I hope to have a whole list of ideas from you.

Use it as your "use and abuse" bar, get some rusty old weights, take them outside and play around with them..

Yeah, but i have another Use and abuse bar, a nice olympic bar and a shitty olympic bar. So with the warped olympic bar I want to make something. It never get's used now. Plus I have a gym membership, So I want to make myself some stuff that the gym does not have.

What about a yoke? Do you have access to welding machinery?

I know Urban is going to suggest this, but I am going to say it anyway. Way not try making a thick bar with it. That way you can work you grip on some days and on other days work with the normal bar.

I forget which thread Urban gave a step by step on how to make it, but I will find it for you if he doesn't have any input.

Chin up bar or a stripper pole....

I think you have some good ideas. Either keep it as a buffalo bar, or I would cut it up. One side would be a loading pin. The other side could be an adjustable weight lever, but I"m afraid the bar part will be too skinny to hold in your and and will hurt the area between your thumb and first finger when you start to go heavy towards the face. Another idea is to use it as a thick bar dumbell, kinda like an inch trainer. Lastly, a thickbar would be cool also if you use some PVC pipe. Then the warp won't matter. If you cut off the ends (loading pin and inch trainer) you can use the bar part for a yolk type deal. For grip though, I bet a thick wrist roller would be best.

now yu have two use and abuse bars you can use for farmer walks :)

Keep it on the rear seat of the car for those road-rage events.....

Or weld a crossbar to it for bent-over rows?

SteveX said:
I know Urban is going to suggest this, but I am going to say it anyway. Way not try making a thick bar with it. That way you can work you grip on some days and on other days work with the normal bar.

I forget which thread Urban gave a step by step on how to make it, but I will find it for you if he doesn't have any input.

THat is what i was thinking.

All this advice and no feedback from you haha. Let us know what you decide to do man, I'm very curious.

I have decided to go with the loading pin, levering bar and a thickbar wrist roller. The decision is final, ORDER IN THE COURT.

One man's junk is another man's gym. Good on ya. Post some pics when you're done.

Back