What can Bivol do that Gvozdyk can’t?

moosaev

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I keep seeing the narrative that Bivol is the master boxer and class of the division from a technical perspective, its funny because those are the exact same words that were used about Gvozdyk from 2017-2019. Gvozdyk was seen as the rising star of the LHW division, his win against Stevenson seemed to cement him as the heir apparent to Andre Ward and he was the favorite heading into his 2019 showdown with Beterbiev. After Beterbiev literally retired Gvozdyk everyone conveniently forgot how high everyone was on him. Is Bivol today better than Gvozdyk in 2019? Or is he just benefiting from never having fought Beterbiev?

Bivols high guard, low punch power and tendency to get backed up on the ropes is just a recipe for disaster against someone like Beterbiev. It doesnt help that hes one of the smaller LHWs, Bivol can make 68, Beterbiev is barely making 175.. Unless Beterbiev gets old overnight, I dont see Bivol lasting longer than a prime Gvozdyk.

Last edited:
Biev has an uncanny ability to quickly close the distance against anybody in the division, that left Gvozdyk with no choice but to engage with Biev, I dont think Bivol would do such a thing, sounds easier said than done, I think it comes down to a mental game, Gvozdyk broke down mentally and he also didnt make any attempt to frustrate Biev either by clinching or smother him with inside shots, as much as I like Bivol thought I don’t see anything in his arsenal to do any of that to Biev, still this fight is up there with Spence vs Crawford as far as hype, I hope it gets made

I rate Bivol's boxing skills higher than I do Gvozdyk's mainly because of his defense and footwork. I also think he's the better mover. On the other hand Gvozdyk had good boxing skills himself and he's bigger and more powerful. Gvozdyk is the better finisher as well. Bivol went from being more of a boxer-puncher to a pure boxer within the last several years. He's happy to go all 12 rounds and outbox opponents. If that's his gameplan against Beterbiev then it's bound to fail. He'll get broken down over the course of the fight and stopped late.

Even if he does manage to survive it's all but guaranteed that Beterbiev will put him down at least once. Contrary to popular belief Beterbiev could win a decision if he can score some knockdowns. With Bivol being the smaller and weaker man of the two, and Beterbiev being as dangerous as he is, Bivol hitting the canvas is something I expect we'll see.

Sounds like Bivol is the one avoiding Artur. The reporters ask Artur about Bivol at 3:00 minute mark

Sounds like Bivol is the one avoiding Artur. The reporters ask Artur about Bivol at 3:00 minute mark

That's what it sounds like. It may be that Bivol's handlers don't want him to take that fight yet. The older Beterbiev gets by the day the better it is for them. Realistically we weren't getting that fight next anyway. Both will probably fight their mandatories. For Beterbiev that means fighting Yarde (his WBO mandatory) next. I have no real interest in that match-up but I'll still watch. As long as we get to see Beterbiev vs Bivol within their next two or three fights then I won't complain much. That better be the plan here because fans are already frustrated we haven't seen it come off yet.

Reactions: Ruv
That's what it sounds like. It may be that Bivol's handlers don't want him to take that fight yet. The older Beterbiev gets by the day the better it is for them. Realistically we weren't getting that fight next anyway. Both will probably fight their mandatories. For Beterbiev that means fighting Yarde (his WBO mandatory) next. I have no real interest in that match-up but I'll still watch. As long as we get to see Beterbiev vs Bivol within their next two or three fights then I won't complain much. That better be the plan here because fans are already frustrated we haven't seen it come off yet.

Bivol would be dumb to risk that Canelo rematch money by fighting Biev first.

Bivol would be dumb to risk that Canelo rematch money by fighting Biev first.
That's why I said if Beterbiev and Bivol fight it won't be until after two or three more fights apiece. Assuming they both continue to win of course. It will build the fight up to be even bigger at the risk of potentially losing it. While unlikely either one of them could lose in the interim. If we look at Artur's fight before last he suffered a nasty cut against Browne (accidental head clash). That fight could've easily been stopped and Browne likely would've been ahead on the cards at the time. This is why they need to fight soon. Big match-ups like this are lost all the time dragging them out like this.

Last edited:
Bivol is really good at stepping back just after throwing his punches so his opponents miss with counter shots. Gvozdyk tried to move his head or block but he was still in range for Beterbiev to throw after he finished his combinations. Bivol might not be in front of him. But the thing I don't like about Bivol is that he steps straight back and doesn't move laterally as much as someone like Lomachenko and he ends up against the ropes which would be a bad idea against Beterbiev. So I honestly don't know.

Tony Bellew thinks (or pretends to think) that Canelo can beat Beterbiev.

Just thought I’d share that pearl of wisdom.

they have different styles.

people also forget that the gvozdyk fight was fairly competitive for a while, it's not like artur just KO'd him in the first round. he held his own. the problem was that artur eventually managed to break him down.

i could see bivol staying in the zone long enough to see the final bell, the guy is a boxing machine. he will not lose focus. he's also better defensively, but he does lack gvozdyk's power to keep beterbiev the fuck away.

i actually give bivol the edge in this one, albeit a very insignificant one.

they have different styles.

people also forget that the gvozdyk fight was fairly competitive for a while, it's not like artur just KO'd him in the first round. he held his own. the problem was that artur eventually managed to break him down.

i could see bivol staying in the zone long enough to see the final bell, the guy is a boxing machine. he will not lose focus. he's also better defensively, but he does lack gvozdyk's power to keep beterbiev the fuck away.

i actually give bivol the edge in this one, albeit a very insignificant one.

Would be very interesting if Bivol could chin check Artur early on.

Biev has an uncanny ability to quickly close the distance against anybody in the division, that left Gvozdyk with no choice but to engage with Biev, I dont think Bivol would do such a thing, sounds easier said than done, I think it comes down to a mental game, Gvozdyk broke down mentally and he also didnt make any attempt to frustrate Biev either by clinching or smother him with inside shots, as much as I like Bivol thought I don’t see anything in his arsenal to do any of that to Biev, still this fight is up there with Spence vs Crawford as far as hype, I hope it gets made

Jesus, not a full stop in sight.

Would be very interesting if Bivol could chin check Artur early on.
he's definitely a lot sharper and precise than smith, he will land the right hand.

i could see him stun artur. don't really imagine him going in for the kill, that's risky no matter how wounded beterbiev is.

Wtf?

Bivol is a hard hitter. Not on the level of Biev obviously, but if you pressure him enough, Bivol can crack.

Canelo has a granite chin, that's why he withstood some of Bivol's punches.
Please. Bivol is a pitter patter puncher, he doesn't sit on his punches because thats not his style. If he couldn't really hurt Canelo then he doesn't have enough power to keep Beterbiev off him. Don't forget Bivol is not a true LHW, he doesn't have anywhere close to the firepower of guys like Biev, and Biev is used to taking punches from much stronger guys.

Reactions: Ruv
Please. Bivol is a pitter patter puncher, he doesn't sit on his punches because thats not his style. If he couldn't really hurt Canelo then he doesn't have enough power to keep Beterbiev off him. Don't forget Bivol is not a true LHW, he doesn't have anywhere close to the firepower of guys like Biev, and Biev is used to taking punches from much stronger guys.

Have you rewatched the Canelo fight yet? Because there were several occasions in which he DID hurt Canelo. The pitty patty stuff is for scoring and maintaining the lead and setting stuff up, but if pressured to exchange, Bivol can fucking crack. Not maybe quite like Gvozdyk, but he isn't so far behind. Don't get fooled by his satisfaction to continue outboxing his opponent non stop. And like I said, Canelo's chin is made of granite.

Anyway, we seem to be on the same page regarding a potential match up with Beterbiev. I think Bivol wants none of that smoke. In other threads I've always said Biev is simply a hurricane. Bivol will try anything and make it competitive for a while, but Biev's pressure breaks everything at 175 and below, including Bivol.

Back