What can Bivol do that Gvozdyk can’t?

Please. Bivol is a pitter patter puncher, he doesn't sit on his punches because thats not his style. If he couldn't really hurt Canelo then he doesn't have enough power to keep Beterbiev off him. Don't forget Bivol is not a true LHW, he doesn't have anywhere close to the firepower of guys like Biev, and Biev is used to taking punches from much stronger guys.
Being a pitter patter puncher would benefit Bivol against Biev

Do you think having ko power and putting it to use against Biev is a smart gameplan?

Being a pitter patter puncher would benefit Bivol against Biev

Do you think having ko power and putting it to use against Biev is a smart gameplan?
No, but you need enough power to keep him honest.

FWIW Gvozdyk beat Bivol in the amateurs in 2013

https://boxrec.com/en/event/784785/2399922
Oh, it was a walkover ("WO"). Gvozdyk won because Bivol forfeited. They never actually competed against each other. Bivol probably thought he'd lose and just didn't show up for the final against Gvozdyk. That or he was late to the match which is another way an amateur boxer can lose in that fashion.

No, but you need enough power to keep him honest.
Its possible, a big gash on his forehead squirting out didnt faze him one bit, but getting hit against a power puncher is another thing, Bivol would have to pitch a perfect game and not panic by exchanging with Biev as soon as Biev closes the distance, Gvozdyk was a bigger puncher than Bivol and it did him no good

FWIW Porter beat Usyk in the amateurs.
Context would help. In the amateurs Porter beat a green 19 year old middleweight version of Usyk that was still regional level at that point. Usyk had only been boxing for about 4 years total. Porter also only beat him by a few points. Once Usyk hit world level he took off running.

Last edited:
I think Gvosdyk is weak mentally. Bivol could try to run the entire fight its work for some rounds vs beterbiev giving early rounds.

I think Gvosdyk is weak mentally. Bivol could try to run the entire fight its work for some rounds vs beterbiev giving early rounds.
Gvozdyk showed a ton of heart against Beterbiev, he was literally beaten into submission physically. The guy was hospitalized for days after that fight. I think that’s why he retired, he was spooked by how hurt he was (and this was after he almost killed Adonis Stevenson).

Bivol would beat Beterbiev. UD. Im calling it

Gvozdyk traded with Beterbiev in spots and wasn't using his feet as much as Bivol would.

Bivol has faster feet than Gvozdyk, faster hands, more angular movement, has better Iq, better upper body movement, and can block a punch better. Gvozdyk is just bigger and hits harder. Bivol does everything else better

Last edited:
I’d probably just favour bivol at this point, but with a lot of confidence. Beterbiev is 37 years and that is my issue. As good as he looked against smith, he’s outside of his prime. If he was a couple of years younger I’d favour him

Bivol is arguably slicker and he remains very cool-headed when he feels the heat. Beterbiev is a legit favorite if he doesn't drop a notch but this still an interesting matchup. As mentionned earlier I kind of doubt Bivol would put the Canelo rematch money in jeopardy even if he said he wanted to go for the unification first.

Bivol is arguably slicker and he remains very cool-headed when he feels the heat. Beterbiev is a legit favorite if he doesn't drop a notch but this still an interesting matchup. As mentionned earlier I kind of doubt Bivol would put the Canelo rematch money in jeopardy even if he said he wanted to go for the unification first.
I'd say Bivol has better wheels, but much less power. I'm not sure if thats better or worse for him lol. Arguments for both.

I’d probably just favour bivol at this point, but with a lot of confidence. Beterbiev is 37 years and that is my issue. As good as he looked against smith, he’s outside of his prime. If he was a couple of years younger I’d favour him
The thing you have to consider is Beterbiev's lifestyle. Family man, doesn't party, doesn't drink, in bed by 10pm. Maniacal about his training. He's been doing this his entire life. The other comparison in lifestyle would be B-Hop. Most fighters (especially as they get older and richer) indulge in vices, that coupled with their loss of hunger is what ages them even more than chronological age. Fighters can be effective past 40 if they treat their bodies right.

The thing you have to consider is Beterbiev's lifestyle. Family man, doesn't party, doesn't drink, in bed by 10pm. Maniacal about his training. He's been doing this his entire life. The other comparison in lifestyle would be B-Hop. Most fighters (especially as they get older and richer) indulge in vices, that coupled with their loss of hunger is what ages them even more than chronological age. Fighters can be effective past 40 if they treat their bodies right.
haha I still remember B Hop comparing sugar to crack. Dude was next level dedicated to keeping his body right.

Back