What BJJ teams produce best MMA fighters?

lhx58

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What BJJ teams produce best MMA fighters? Okey i understand that "normal" BJJ teams probs focus BJJ ann not MMA but what team give best roots to start MMA?

Teams like?
Barbosa Jiu Jitsu
Atos
Alliance
Gracie Barra
Checkmat
Brasa
Gracie Humaita
Nova Uniao
Brazilian Top Team

Nova Uniao is at the top IMO, followed by BTT. Gracie Barra BH, Draculino's old HQ, used to have some good fighters, not sure nowadays.

If Gus becomes champ, then Alliance would be one of the top. Nova Uniao is probably tops.

From your list, Nova Uniao obviously has the best MMA bragging rights, right now.

They're the only association that can claim a current UFC champion, Jose Aldo.

From your list, Nova Uniao obviously has the best MMA bragging rights, right now.

Two champs.

Barao counts.

Having a champ is cool, but consistent success at every level says more about the camp. Once again, NU for the win.

Also, if you count interim Barao, they have two UFC champs ;)

You're right. Strip Cruz! It's gonna be two goddamn years since his last title defense.

Having a champ is cool, but consistent success at every level says more about the camp. Once again, NU for the win.

Also, if you count interim Barao, they have two UFC champs ;)

when you say every level, you mean weight categoy.

Becuase I think Nove Unio is known for the lighter fighters.

when you say every level, you mean weight categoy.

Becuase I think Nove Unio is known for the lighter fighters.

I meant level, as in their guys have always done well, whether its a local show in Brazil, or the UFC championship.

How could no one mention Renzo's. They are probably the #1 for BJJ MMA!

As a Nova Uniao guy I gotta say it's pretty great to see the direction NU is going. 2 champs in the UFC, Jose Aldo and Renan Barao. Leo Santos is doing well in the UFC. BJ Penn is coming back at 145. Eduardo Dantas is a champ in Bellator. Thalas Leites is the middleweight champ in Superior Challenge. Marlon Sandro is the featherweight King of Pancrase.

EDIT: It's a shame if anyone views Renan Barao's last few wins as "less" impressive because he's the interim champ. I know Cruz is injured, but he hasn't defended the belt since Fall 2011 and may not return until 2014. In that time Renan Barao has buzz-sawed his way through Brad Pickett, Scott Jorgensen, Urijah Faber, Michael McDonald, and Eddie Wineland. He finished 3 of those fights in dramatic fashion.

To be on a 31 fight win streak and to take out this level of competition is ridiculous, and I wish they'd just give him the strap and let Cruz fight Barao for it when Cruz gets back. I don't see Barao as "just" the interim champ. He's been tearing up the top of the UFC for over 2 years now and no one is coming close to stopping him.

Last edited:
I think the Renzo clan deserves to be up there. Weidman, GSP

Edgar is a high level guy who is always a split decision away from a belt.

Nova Uniao and Renzo Gracie are my answers. I can't think of any other BJJ-based team that consistently gets guys into the UFC.

NU & BTT for developing fighters from the ground up. Most teams have fighters with already extensive background in one aspect of MMA so they don't have claim for the full development of their fighters in my book.

Just an FYI for some of the younger or newer people. American Top Team, Brazilian Top Team and Nova Uniao all have roots with Carlson Gracie Sr.

ATT was started by Ricardo Liborio and Conan Silveira. BTT was formed by Ricardo Liborio, Murilo Bustamante, Luis Duarte and Mario Sperry. One half of NU was started by Andre Pederneiras.

ALL of these gentlemen are Carlson Sr. black belts. Mad respect!

What BJJ teams produce best MMA fighters? Okey i understand that "normal" BJJ teams probs focus BJJ ann not MMA but what team give best roots to start MMA?

Teams like?
Barbosa Jiu Jitsu
Atos
Alliance
Gracie Barra
Checkmat
Brasa
Gracie Humaita
Nova Uniao
Brazilian Top Team

apart from Nova Uniao and BTT.. most of these schools are a pure BJJ... most of there students who fight also attended a MMA school in conjunction with BJJ training.. Or their BJJ school is affiliated with a MMA camp.

Back