What are you playing? v.10 (Red Falcon Edition)

Your Super Contra gun of choice?

• Machine gun (Highest ROF, 6-bullet on-screen cap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I was down for half of the weekend with a kidney stone, so lying in bed with my Switch I played through the original NES Legend of Zelda. I hadn’t played it in probably about 32 years but I still remembered where pretty much all the dungeons were in the over world map. It didn’t feel like an honourable play through as the Switch allows save scumming for those classic NES titles, which I needed to do a bit of to get past the boss of the fourth dungeon as I got to him with literally one single hit point, so I just kept reloading until I was able to do a no-hit fight against the boss.

I fired up Zelda II: the Adventure of Link but I’m unsure where to go. Unlike the first game I never had Zelda II growing up, so I’m completely unfamiliar with the game. I’m not even certain if it has a proper order of where to go. I’ve tried googling a map of the game but what I’ve seen so far doesn’t seem quite as easy to understand as maps of the first game which clearly identify the location and order of the dungeons and where to find the special items.
ROFL!

Good luck playing "Zelda 2" blind. It's a shitty game that gets by on nostalgia and it's name. The combat is terrible. The map is terrible. The overall design is terrible. It's a better game than the CDI shit-fests, but not by much.

I appreciate the effort and balls to take it in such a wildly different direction(I think they tried to inject some Mario Bros in there), but there's a reason why it's the black sheep of the franchise. Even when you look up how to actually play it, it's a tedious grind of a game with very little fun to be had. Unless you have a Youtube channel that makes you money making fun of shitty games, I wouldn't even bother.

ROFL!

Good luck playing "Zelda 2" blind. It's a shitty game that gets by on nostalgia and it's name. The combat is terrible. The map is terrible. The overall design is terrible. It's a better game than the CDI shit-fests, but not by much.

I appreciate the effort and balls to take it in such a wildly different direction(I think they tried to inject some Mario Bros in there), but there's a reason why it's the black sheep of the franchise. Even when you look up how to actually play it, it's a tedious grind of a game with very little fun to be had. Unless you have a Youtube channel that makes you money making fun of shitty games, I wouldn't even bother.

Hmm, that doesn’t sound too encouraging. I may only play a little bit of it and if I can’t get into it I’ll throw in the towel. I mostly want to play it out of a quasi-nostalgia, in that while I never played it as a kid I do remember looking at screenshots with my brother of it in Nintendo Power magazine like 35 years ago and thinking to myself “oh wow, look how different that is from Legend of Zelda!” and just always thinking wanting to try it for myself to see what it was like.

If it blows I’ll just jump over to A Link to the Past, which I have also never played before. I only had an NES as a kid, my parents refused to let me and my brothers have a SNES, N64 or Game Cube, so the original NES Zelda is the only game from the franchise that I’ve ever played.

ROFL!

It's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

It's honestly one of my favorite Zelda games BECAUSE of the difficulty and infuriating aspect of it.
<Fedor23>

I'm thinking I should sit down and try to figure out how to play old PS3 MLB The Show. I played PS1 baseball and got used to it, but first trying this PS3 game it felt weird.

Hmm, that doesn’t sound too encouraging. I may only play a little bit of it and if I can’t get into it I’ll throw in the towel. I mostly want to play it out of a quasi-nostalgia, in that while I never played it as a kid I do remember looking at screenshots with my brother of it in Nintendo Power magazine like 35 years ago and thinking to myself “oh wow, look how different that is from Legend of Zelda!” and just always thinking wanting to try it for myself to see what it was like.

If it blows I’ll just jump over to A Link to the Past, which I have also never played before. I only had an NES as a kid, my parents refused to let me and my brothers have a SNES, N64 or Game Cube, so the original NES Zelda is the only game from the franchise that I’ve ever played.
It has one or two "no way would I have figured that out in a million years, what the hell were they thinking?" moments.

So I will admit that I never really got into RDR2 when it was first released. I bought it, but just didn't play it.

I got it I think last week on a Steam sale and holy shit. I think this is the best game Rockstar has ever made.

The part where you're drinking at the saloon with Lenny is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in a video game. I was laughing my ass off while brushing my teeth before bed

I see a lot of "undiscovered perks" and I'm hoping I'm not completely missing crucial stuff because I'm in what I believe is chapter 3.

I love Arthur and Dutch, and I really love Hosea. Hosea is the only one who can get Dutch to really sit down and listen, and I really do relate to Arthur in many, many ways which is a pleasant surprise.

Our syndicate or gang or whatever just had to leave Valentine due to a shootout, we headed south. I paid my own bounty up north however, so I can still go up there. Right now we're in the middle of a feud between two wealthy families, and there's a Romeo & Juliet situation going on.

This is the first time in a while that I've been seriously antsy about getting home to play

The thing about Zelda II is that the very last Palace--- you will probably need to draw a map or google it. They implemented the complexity of Level 9 in the first game but didn't give a map. There are no Palace maps in Zelda II which is a crucial error as you get into levels 5, 6 and especially 7. I know the place like the back of my hand but only because when I was a kid I did speed runs (they weren't called speed runs back then though).

To answer some of your questions -- yes there is a distinct order. With two exceptions you simply must complete the Palaces in order.

@HereticBD is correct-- it's one of those games where the ambition is more impressive than the game itself. Although I would still say it's much better than the CDI games. Of course that could be my own nostalgia talking

Dark Souls 3

Twin Princes is some BS. Phase 1 ain't too bad but i can't even tell what the hell is happening in phase 2 , I just spin around looking for him and get insta-killed. One thing I've enjoyed about this game compared to the first two is I haven't needed to do any farming but that might change now at level 70. I've been at this level for awhile now.

Dark Souls 3

Twin Princes is some BS. Phase 1 ain't too bad but i can't even tell what the hell is happening in phase 2 , I just spin around looking for him and get insta-killed. One thing I've enjoyed about this game compared to the first two is I haven't needed to do any farming but that might change now at level 70. I've been at this level for awhile now.
It's cool you bring up that fight specifically because it features two of my favorite lines from the series that I've never forgotten.

One is: This spot marks our grave. You may rest here too...if you like. Eerily delivered, wonderful. *gooseflesh

Second is both inspiring and haunting at the same time: Rise if you would, for that is our curse. I've long felt this line broke the fourth wall and is said by Lothric to us, Soulsborne players. I interpret it as never give up; never stop rising from our graves; to suffer, is to win, so to say.

Glad you've enjoyed it. Great title.

Dark Souls 3

Definitely the hardest boss I beat without summons. Cinder took me longer, but he wasn't nearly as hard to predict. Twin Princes takes a while to get the patterns down and know when to strike.

Dark Souls 3

Yea that was a tough boss. The princes and the dude in the church who doubles himself mid fight were the hardest for me.

It's cool you bring up that fight specifically because it features two of my favorite lines from the series that I've never forgotten.

One is: This spot marks our grave. You may rest here too...if you like. Eerily delivered, wonderful. *gooseflesh

Second is both inspiring and haunting at the same time: Rise if you would, for that is our curse. I've long felt this line broke the fourth wall and is said by Lothric to us, Soulsborne players. I interpret it as never give up; never stop rising from our graves; to suffer, is to win, so to say.

Glad you've enjoyed it. Great title.

Definitely the hardest boss I beat without summons. Cinder took me longer, but he wasn't nearly as hard to predict. Twin Princes takes a while to get the patterns down and know when to strike.

Yea that was a tough boss. The princes and the dude in the church who doubles himself mid fight were the hardest for me.
Got em. Turned out to be a pretty fun fight once you get the hang of it. Will I be able to continue on to the DLC after I kill LOC or do i have to complete that first?

Kinda bored and not sure what I feel like doing. Started Dusk finally which has been in my library for a couple years and it's ok but not really grabbing me yet.

Love the movement and atmosphere but the graphics are a bit too pixelated on my TV. And the gunplay feels a little laggy but maybe that's just my imagination.

Got em. Turned out to be a pretty fun fight once you get the hang of it. Will I be able to continue on to the DLC after I kill LOC or do i have to complete that first?
You can do the DLC before him.

Sister Friede looms...

Kinda bored and not sure what I feel like doing.
Me too. "Diablo IV" has been a fun ride, but it's getting a bit redundant at this point. I've even got like $30 in MS fun bucks for rewards, but I can't see a game I want to buy in the store. Tried out "Control" for a bit, but wasn't feeling it. All the "Fallout 4" vids flooding my recs thanks to the NG update is tempting me, but I just recently beat it, so I can't see myself getting pulled back in for too long.

*sigh*...

Continue on to Ringed City or Ariandel? What SL are you?

Back