What are the 36 Gracie moves to blue belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well maybe they are bringing it back to where it was? As for the longest time in the US, a blue was pretty solid. I guess as Americans we changed it into a mini BB, as we did with other MAs. We like making the BB the peak, not a halfway point.

So maybe they saw that, and didn't like how the blue(the 2nd lowest belt) was being seen as a massive accomplishment in the US?

you can get your blue belt in 6 months training in Brasil.

Only outside Brasil, you can see instructors delaying promotions for financial reasons.

Only outside Brasil, you can see instructors delaying promotions for financial reasons.

good point, I see the X number of classes situation too often.

good point, I see the X number of classes situation too often.

another reason for quick blue belt in Brasil would be that it is considered creonte to change club once you are blue.

But a white belt it is ok.

Oh, snap

You can download the curriculum here: gracie combatives blue belt handbook.PDF - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

64owo3.jpg

Personally, I think the blue is a big accomplishment but I get what you are saying. I think the whole blue belt god status of the 90s or even early 2000s was due to a lack of exposure and instruction throughout the majority of the country. Most of the schools I checked out from 2002 - 2005ish were headed by a purple or brown belt, which is fine imo. I think this is why the blue belt was seen as gatekeeper status for so long. That is going away with the way things are going now, which is also fine in my book.

yeah with how BJJ grew, it was mostly mid belts teaching till about 2004 or so. Especially outside the bigger cities. So, as you said we got used to the blues being the gatekeepers.

Wonder if it was because that a lot of teachers were purples/browns, and couldn't promote, or they had to wait for the head guy to come out. Which may have been yearly.

My instructor is a Pedro Sauer BB, and back when Pedro was in Utah, he came out yearly, and they visited him as well. But it was def not regular. So I guess, artificially blues became something to behold. It will take a long time for that idea to fade. In fact I can see some gyms keeping it 'hardcore' and making blue, the 2-3 year journey that it was.

Same with BBs in Japan. You can get your BB in most styles in under 2 years in Japan. In fact, only a few newbies are under BB and maybe brown if you go to most dojos here.

Americans, well we just got it in our heads that being a BB was AWESOME, so we made it take like 4-6 years to get in most MAs.

I disagree with you on it being financial. Most belt tests are only $20 or so. Other than that, you really aren't getting much out of not promoting someone, or even not promoting them.

Those 36 moves seem to be missing an awe full lot of stuff.

Looks very insufficient to me.

I do not think I will join the program to learn just those moves because there are dozens of solid BJJ moves not covered at all.

i dont give a fcuk how long it takes me to get promoted i just want it to be legit. I don't want to walk around around with a piece of blue cloth material around my waist if I dont deserve it, otherwise that's what it will only be. I want to look at my blue belt and think, "This represents a point in my training where I've excelled to a certain skill level."

their blue program is not design to defeat a BJJ fighter.

That's true, and I suppose that at the blue belt level, in general, you're not training to defeat other grapplers. That comes at the later ranks like at purple belt(excluding guys who train soley for competition, and beat blues on a regular basis).

What I'm saying is that I believe my quality of training for a few years and focusing on all kinds of techniques, including the 36 mentioned plus others, is better than training through DVDs and isolating certain ones to only learn. I feel just as comfortable as somebody who took the Gracie program for their blue belt would in a self defense situation. Althought I must admit that relfex training sounds very useful.

their blue program is not design to defeat a BJJ fighter.

lechien is Correct.

Gracie Combatives is not designed to defeat a BJJ fighter.

They are the most basic self-defense techniques an untrained, unskilled, and unathletic average joe would most probably have to use if attacked by a larger aggressor.

These techniques were chosen to deal with an attacker intent on bashing your head in, not counter grappling you.

To overload a beginner with 100's of techniques, counters, and variations required to compete against a tournament level BJJer is not "practical" for building the basics of self-defense (i.e. combatives).

At the Gracie Academy, the blue belt just means you have have demonstrated elementary proficiency in the basics of GJJ self-defense (the very basics of street ready effectiveness), to master this and all the other cool stuff is to continue your life-long journey in jiu-jitsu.

:)

lechien is Correct.

Gracie Combatives is not designed to defeat a BJJ fighter.

They are the most basic self-defense techniques an untrained, unskilled, and unathletic average joe would most probably have to use if attacked by a larger aggressor.

These techniques were chosen to deal with an attacker intent on bashing your head in, not counter grappling you.

To overload a beginner with 100's of techniques, counters, and variations required to compete against a tournament level BJJer is not "practical" for building the basics of self-defense (i.e. combatives).

At the Gracie Academy, the blue belt just means you have have demonstrated elementary proficiency in the basics of GJJ self-defense (the very basics of street ready effectiveness), to master this and all the other cool stuff is to continue your life-long journey in jiu-jitsu.

:)

Spoken like someone who hasn't been in an altercation in a long time.

People counter grapple naturally. It's called clinching. They will choke you, pinch you, put their thumb in your eyes. All while snorting AND trying to bash your head in.

I way 170 pounds. If an athletic white belt comes in weighing more than 190 pounds and a lot of aggression I will struggle, and I (in my humble opinion) know what I am doing. A blue belt in gracie combatives would not only get wrecked by a real bjj blue belt, but they would get hospitalized by most "larger opponents" in self defense.

Why do I think so? Because people who pick fights know more about fighting than nerds who think they can learn to do it over the internet.

Hell, more than half of the street fights I have ever seen were started by guys who I know were very good at BJJ.

If you think that the person who is gonna try to fight you doesn't know how to fight already, you're dreaming.

Spoken like someone who hasn't been in an altercation in a long time.

People counter grapple naturally. It's called clinching. They will choke you, pinch you, put their thumb in your eyes. All while snorting AND trying to bash your head in.

I way 170 pounds. If an athletic white belt comes in weighing more than 190 pounds and a lot of aggression I will struggle, and I (in my humble opinion) know what I am doing. A blue belt in gracie combatives would not only get wrecked by a real bjj blue belt, but they would get hospitalized by most "larger opponents" in self defense.

Why do I think so? Because people who pick fights know more about fighting than nerds who think they can learn to do it over the internet.

Hell, more than half of the street fights I have ever seen were started by guys who I know were very good at BJJ.

If you think that the person who is gonna try to fight you doesn't know how to fight already, you're dreaming.

I dunno man, I think YOU would do better than you think. You cancel out my strength pretty well, and I get a lot of complaints about how strong I. Got a '力お菓子

lol @ noobs counter-grappling naturally, have you ever rolled with a first day white belt recently? I can literally hold them in mount with ZERO weight on them

lol @ noobs counter-grappling naturally, have you ever rolled with a first day white belt recently? I can literally hold them in mount with ZERO weight on them

How did they get there? Did you take them down? Were you dealing with strikes will taking them down? Or did you start from your knees? Which really isn't the same thing

i dont give a fcuk how long it takes me to get promoted i just want it to be legit. I don't want to walk around around with a piece of blue cloth material around my waist if I dont deserve it, otherwise that's what it will only be. I want to look at my blue belt and think, "This represents a point in my training where I've excelled to a certain skill level."

And all of that stuff will still be true - it's just that the 'certain skill level' might change.

For someone like yourself, and I guess I reckon it's probably the best way for everyone to think about it, the most important thing is what your belt means to whoever is teaching you. As long as you're on the same wavelength as them, you'll get what you need. The only problem with changing belt levels is when drawing comparisons with other clubs or organisations.

Maybe that attitude should become the standard response to the "HOW LONG TILL MY BLUE BELT?".

Personally, whilst I believe that the above is true in the big picture - I also like the ability to compare myself with others. It's a bit like getting a university degree - if you have the same degree as someone else, you can be sure they know what's up, but you also know there could be a big disparity depending on where they studied.

We're not talking about computer programmers looking to start a new hobby.

Over the years Ive trained with military, former college ball players and reformed gangsters who have no sub grappling experience and for every two large noobs I throw around there is one who makes me work.

Or maybe you are just better than me.

I dunno man, I think YOU would do better than you think. You cancel out my strength pretty well, and I get a lot of complaints about how strong I. Got a '力お菓子

You're kind of different since you've been doing bjj for a long time. I know what you are going to do. You are going to do what I would do. You are going to do what a bjj guy would do. I just need to move where you want to be before you do and I win.

But with an explosive noob I don't know what the fuck they're gonna do. Strong enough to hurt me, but they don't know what not to do so I can't really trick them because they don't respond to traps normal bjj guys would usually set.

Maybe I just need to roll with more white belts.

I find that when rolling with new guys, however aggressive, a butterfly sweep will work 99.99% of the time, almost regardless of how big they are.

Against new guys, basics really are close to unstoppable. I don't use any of my fancy shit, because they don't know enough for it to be necessary.

What I don't get is how the Gracie University can sit there and hand out blue belts online while simultaneously telling their online students that their belt doesn't mean what it would in a normal academy where you earn it the hard way. Do they tell them that entering as a blue belt at a tournament after only training online would be like jumping into shark infested waters covered in cuts? What does their "blue belt" even really mean when any 2-3 stripe white belt will most likely know all the same material AND be able to rape them on the mat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back