What are the 36 Gracie moves to blue belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgold44

White Belt
Reaction score
The Gracie academy has this program where if you learn there 36 most core and crucial and important moves and can demonstrate it you can get a blue belt.

They say the course is only 2 cycles of 23 hours so that is 46 hours only.

What are the 36 moves that the famous Gracie picked???

To me 46 hours would seem impossible to deserve the highly prestigious blue belt.

The Gracie academy has this program where if you learn there 36 most core and crucial and important moves and can demonstrate it you can get a blue belt.

They say the course is only 2 cycles of 23 hours so that is 46 hours only.

What are the 36 moves that the famous Gracie picked???

To me 46 hours would seem impossible to deserve the highly prestigious blue belt.

It takes years to train the muscle memory. I don't know how this can be true.

It seems the Gracies are going to really water down the high rank of blue belt.

Hell some idiot off the street will spend a few months and think he is a blue belt then roll a real blue belt and will tap out in about 3 seconds.

What do I know the Gracies are the Gods of ground fighting so if they are giving out blue belts that fast then maybe they are right.
I do not even do BJJ yet.

Man, I don't think I know even 25 moves, if you count sweeps and subs. Prolly take me another 5 years to at the remaining 9.

But i think that means 46 hours of instruction time. Which would prolly take 100 or so training days to fully cover.

its been stated that it has taken ctc and GU students about 200-260 hrs to get a blue belt via video testing and about 320-400 for each blue belt stripe. All hrs are not to include time spent watching the material, only the drilling/sparring portion. 36 lessons with roughly 80+ techniques in the combatives curriculum and test recommended time times per lesson is 3X. This first stripe seems to be 160 techniques. They video test at the ctc even if it has a black bet instructor. Only people who place that can promote is torrence HQ.

Escapes (2)
-Trap and Roll Escape (L1)
-Standard Variation
-Punch Block Variation
-Headlock Variation
2. Elbow Escape (L12)
-Standard Elbow Escape
-Hook Removal
-Fish Hook
-Heel Drag
Controls (3)
-Positional Control (L3)
-Anchor and Base
-Low Swim
-High Swim
2. Take the Back (L4)
-Take the Back
-Remount Technique
3. Headlock Counters (L16)
-Prevent the Getup
-Back Mount Finish
-Armlock Finish
Submissions (4)
-Americana Armlock (L2)
-Standard Variation
-Neck-hug Variation
2. Rear Naked Choke (L5)
-Strong Side Variation
-Weak Side Variation
3. Straight Armlock (L9)
-Standard Variation
-Side Variation
4. Twisting Arm Control (L35)
-Back Mount Finish
-Armlock Finish

Control Strategies (2)
Punch Block Series – Stage 1-4 (L8)
-Stage 1
-Stage 2
-Stage 3
-Stage 4
2. Punch Block Series – Stage 5 (L27)
-Stage 5
-Rollover Technique
Submissions (4)
-Triangle (L10)
-Stage 1.5 Variation
-Giant Killer Variation
2. Straight Armlock (L19)
-Low Variation
-High Variation
-Triangle Transition
3. Kimura (L25)
-Rider Variation
-Forced Variation
4. Take the Back (L31)
-Sweeps (3)
-Elevator Sweep (L11)
-Standard Variation
-Headlock Variation
2. Double Ankle Sweep (L20)
-Knee Thrust Variation
-Kick Variation
3. Hook Sweep (L28)
Pass (1)
1. Double Underhook Guard Pas

Control Strategies (1)
Positional Control (L13)
-Roll Prevention
-Guard Prevention
-Mount Transition
Escapes (4)
-Shrimp Escape (L24)
-Block and Shoot Variation
-Shrimp and Shoot Variation
-Punch Block Variation
2. Headlock Escape 1 (L18)
-Standard Frame Escape
-Scissor Failure Variation
-Super Lock Variation
3. Headlock Escape 2 (L22)
-Standard Leg Hook Escape
-Super Base Variation
-Punch Block Variation
4. Elbow Escape (L33)
-Knee Drive Variation
-High Step Variation

Controls (3)
Establish the Clinch
-Aggressive Opponent (L7)
-Conservative Opponent (L15)
2. Haymaker Punch Defense (L30)
Takedowns (5)
-Leg Hook Takedown (L6)
-Body Fold Takedown (L14)
-Double Leg Takedown (L17)
-Aggressive Opponent
-Conservative Opponent
4. Pull Guard (L21)
5. Rear Takedown (L29)
Submissions (2)
-Guillotine Choke (L23)
-Standing Variation
-Guard Pull Variation
2. Standing Armlock (L34)
Submission Counters (2)
-Standing Headlock Defense (L26)
2. Guillotine Defense (L32

Last edited:
This is the gracie combatives to blue belt program. It is only 36 moves or 46 hours.

Most of the moves you listed are in the purple belt program which takes hundreths of hours according to there website.

Dont know.

I got my blue belt after 2.5 years and hundreds of hours of training. I'm also sure I know at least 100+ moves, not 36. I'm pretty sure I could defeat a ble belt who got it through a DVD or online if thats really how the Gracie program works.

I see where you had the confusion that is how they group the classes are run at the academy.
1 standing and 1 ground technique per class. not many student can test after two cycles of the combatives if they aren't also training at home. Many go 3 and 4 cycles. also they have reflex development and fight sim classes on top of the 23 classes.

Last edited:
One move and one move only must be mastered to earn a blue belt.

The triple decker pecker wrecker. And I wouldn't even consider attempting something like that unless you are 100% sure that you are ready. IMO.

I got my blue belt after 2.5 years and hundreds of hours of training. I'm also sure I know at least 100+ moves, not 36. I'm pretty sure I could defeat a ble belt who got it through a DVD or online if thats really how the Gracie program works.

their blue program is not design to defeat a BJJ fighter.

I don't really agree with the online belt testing stuff but hey, if someone in a truly remote area wants to learn techniques more power to them. I just have an issue with people doing this online testing when they live in metro or even rural areas with legit academies with brown and black belt instructors. I appreciate Rener's enthusiasm at the very least.

their blue program is not design to defeat a BJJ fighter.

Which , like it or not changes the value of the blue. This is clearly what the Gracie clan is doing, and they run BJJ, so that is how it is going to be.

Which , like it or not changes the value of the blue. This is clearly what the Gracie clan is doing, and they run BJJ, so that is how it is going to be.

Well, they are just following what Helio started.

We have changed and they have not.

Well, they are just following what Helio started.

We have changed and they have not.

Well maybe they are bringing it back to where it was? As for the longest time in the US, a blue was pretty solid. I guess as Americans we changed it into a mini BB, as we did with other MAs. We like making the BB the peak, not a halfway point.

So maybe they saw that, and didn't like how the blue(the 2nd lowest belt) was being seen as a massive accomplishment in the US?

Well maybe they are bringing it back to where it was? As for the longest time in the US, a blue was pretty solid. I guess as Americans we changed it into a mini BB, as we did with other MAs. We like making the BB the peak, not a halfway point.

So maybe they saw that, and didn't like how the blue(the 2nd lowest belt) was being seen as a massive accomplishment in the US?

Personally, I think the blue is a big accomplishment but I get what you are saying. I think the whole blue belt god status of the 90s or even early 2000s was due to a lack of exposure and instruction throughout the majority of the country. Most of the schools I checked out from 2002 - 2005ish were headed by a purple or brown belt, which is fine imo. I think this is why the blue belt was seen as gatekeeper status for so long. That is going away with the way things are going now, which is also fine in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back