What are some standards of Jiujitsu?

AwesomeSquad

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have looked all over the damn place for this and can't find it. I pick things up rolling in passing like "never leave your hands on the mat" or "push the guy's head to the same side as his body when he is trying to pass" but I have found that most people assume that everyone knows these little things and nobody talks about them.

I have neen wanting to work on these little things that will translate to everything in jiujitsu instead of learning the red breasted double tapper choke or some other shit off of the esteemed submissions 101.

Are there any that you guys have run across?

Two hands in: Good.
Two hand out: Good.
One hand in; one hand out: No Good.

In a two handed Gi choke... put your head on the mat on the side of your arm that is on top.

Also, if possible when controlling a guy in your guard by using their Gi try to grab the neck of their Gi behind their head.

The problem with coming up with these "rules" is they are not hard and fast... it's like rules for spelling, i before e except after c. But then there is a whole bunch of exceptions to the rule, so the rules are useless.

Wow these are some complex rules. At my Judo dojo if you have a choke on a motherfucker then you have a choke on a motherfucker.

problem is every position is different, the sport is so free flowing that its hard to make concrete rules.

heres one i find is helpful to remember

on top: eliminate all space

bottom: space is your friend

Wow these are some complex rules. At my Judo dojo if you have a choke on a motherfucker then you have a choke on a motherfucker.

Yeah I know, my school is kinda lame. At my school when you have a choke on a motherfucker he actually has a choke on you. We are very new age.

Some random general rules that I play by:

Stand to break the closed guard. Be ready to kick a leg forward to get otu of the double ankle sweep. If the opponent underhooks your leg, turn your knee inwards.

When an opponent is underhooking your legs (ie. stack pass), try to get your knees onto the opponent's elbows and never on his shoulders. Keep your legs wide and heavy.

Always be ready to get your near side hook as you pass or when you play side control.

Never let the opponent get the crossface from sidemount.

When the opponent brings his head-side arm to the far side in sidemount (good luck visualizing that), get your hand/wrist under the armpit (otherwise he will isolate your arm).

When an opponent falls back for a footlock immediately stand up. If you can't, look to grab his hands.

Don't look for an underhook when the opponent is playing z guard (aka shin half guard).

2 in 2 out.

keep it tight.

low hips.

head control.

underhook.

OT but a standard nonetheless:

Don't come in and start trying to teach everyone on the mats. Holy shit, that's annoying. I can't even begin to tell you.

So they don't teach you proper head and body positioning when you're applying the choke? You just get the grips, crank as hard as you can, and hope it works?

To the TS, there are a million of these tips of the type you're asking for. Maybe if you limited it to a specific position? Look, here are a bunch of random ones:

-Don't cross your ankles when you have someone's back.
-Grab your shin rather than the top of your foot when working to close the triangle.
-Don't shoot a double with your head on the inside.

See what I mean?

Always focus on posture, base and alignment for yourself and breaking these things in your opponent.

Look for (or create) space between your opponent's arm and the flank of his body. Move your hips into this space to attack armbars, omoplatas, triangles, etc.

was too lazy to type halfguard and sidecontrol. but i guess i ended up doing it anyways

Not to be an argumentative dickhead, but side control? Yes. Half-guard? Either is good. There are plently of sweeps/transitions you can start working with a tight overhook.

Not to be an argumentative dickhead, but side control? Yes. Half-guard? Either is good. There are plently of sweeps/transitions you can start working with a tight overhook.

I'd say an overhook from half guard is more an example of knowing the rules in order to break them. You have to do a lot of things just right in order to make use of an overhook from half guard, and from a 'basic' half guard (ignoring Z-guard, half butterfly and foot on hip variants) an overhook is pretty useless, and is more likely to get you passed. An underhook, on the other hand - properly executed - will pretty much always improve a half guard situation.

It can be argued whether or not an underhook in side control is something you need EVERY time, but it's what I was taught and I figure it's better to get into the habit of going for underhooks rather than completely forgetting about them.

I'd say an overhook from half guard is more an example of knowing the rules in order to break them. You have to do a lot of things just right in order to make use of an overhook from half guard, and from a 'basic' half guard (ignoring Z-guard, half butterfly and foot on hip variants) an overhook is pretty useless, and is more likely to get you passed. An underhook, on the other hand - properly executed - will pretty much always improve a half guard situation.

I disagree with that. Even from a basic half-guard, and even with my back flattened to the mat, I hit plenty of sweeps from wrapping an overhook, other hand on their hip, disrupting their base by moving their trapped leg across the mat, and sorta shrimping/rolling towards the side with the overhook.

I'd say that's just as valid as the underhook, and I feel just as likely to get my guard passed with either.

Back