• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are some good ways to improve top game?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm trying to improve my top game in bjj bc I never really play top position and bc I'm trying to improve my mma game where I think top game works better.

Being one of the smallest guys in class I have gotten comfortable off my back.

I'm pretty small as well at 5'7" 145lbs. I've been working kimura grips a lot, top and bottom, keeps a lot of control from plenty of different positions and sets up submissions well too, even on the bigger guys

If you have a hard time getting to top against your partners, ask to start there and either spar like regular or you can drill top positions and once you lose top, reset.

keep putting yourself in top positions and be determined to keep them. it will improve

If you find yourself in guard, use your guard to work more for sweeps rather than attacking with submissions.

Learn how to put more pressure when passing the guard.

Just keep in mind, you will look ridiculous the day that you can't pass one dude's guard and he submits you off his back, because you don't have shit from your back. You'll be reminded you aren't as badass as you thought you were when you woke up.

Start from standing whenever possible and take Judo and/or wrestling classes. Top game and throws/takedowns go hand-in-hand. If your stand-up sucks you'll never be in a position to use your top game.

If your guard is good, sweep.

If you can start from top, start from top.

Kill their hips and direct their movement. (Block them turning into you to make them turn away to turtle; take the back)

If you cannot direct their movement, redirect yourself around it. (Allow them to, or failed to stop them turning into you; backstep to the other side, take the back.)

Watch this video everyday.

Surfing.

Get mount or side control and just transistion transition transition, sure attack subs but your a1 goal is to stay on top using as little effort as possible. This does not mean get top, and bear hug them for ages. Be heavy but mobile as needed.

If I get top and lose it I consider that a failure as bad as any sub.

I'm trying to improve my top game in bjj bc I never really play top position and bc I'm trying to improve my mma game where I think top game works better.

Being one of the smallest guys in class I have gotten comfortable off my back.

work on your head placement and bicep control first. When you're rolling with really good guard players just try to tfrustrate them, don't do anything except try to stop there attacks... you won't be able to at first, but once you can you'll have a solid base for guard passing, and ground and pound.

Start from standing whenever possible and take Judo and/or wrestling classes. Top game and throws/takedowns go hand-in-hand. If your stand-up sucks you'll never be in a position to use your top game.

Garbage.

I pull guard, sweep and murder from side control. I'm much better at sweeping than I am at takedowns.

The best way to improve your top game is to play more top!

Garbage.

I pull guard, sweep and murder from side control. I'm much better at sweeping than I am at takedowns.

The best way to improve your top game is to play more top!

Takedown > Top Position is less viable or valuable than Pull Guard > Sweep > Top Position? Hmmm . . .

intredasting.jpg

I used to (and still am) somewhat of a "bottom feeder", but one thing that helped me improve my top game is having the mindset that it is actually FUN to be on top and try and pass the guard, (albeit tiring so make sure your cardio is up to par). Make a game of staying on top, if you get swept try and pop back up like a wrestler would. Have fun with it, and don't go for subs from the bottom maybe, just sweeps.

Takedown > Top Position is less viable or valuable than Pull Guard > Sweep > Top Position? Hmmm . . .

intredasting.jpg

You said without takedowns, you wont get a chance to work your top game. Thats garbage. I'm not arguing about what style of jiu jitsu is more valuable.

Surfing.

Get mount or side control and just transistion transition transition, sure attack subs but your a1 goal is to stay on top using as little effort as possible. This does not mean get top, and bear hug them for ages. Be heavy but mobile as needed.

If I get top and lose it I consider that a failure as bad as any sub.

This is excellent advice. If you can, get a partner to let you drill transitions, and then eventually work the drill into a response to certain movements. Side control to kesa gatame to n/s to the other side or back to the same side to knee on belly to mount to technical mount when they turn.

In other words, Step one: drill transitions to get comfy with the movement. Step two: drill the transitions as responses to movement from your partner. Step three: Start looking for kimura grip from these positions, and drill armbars and kimuras. That's what I did anyways.

Edit: as a bonus step, start from a top position, and learn how to use positional controls/weight distribution/proper posture to retain the position. This will help your base. Strong base + fluid transitions = top game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back