Movies What are some good war films that don't feature Americans?

3e22e3abf31eff087093b0e2d8e9c8bb.jpg

I've seen enough US war films for one lifetime. How about some war films from other countries' perspectives? I'm especially interested in anything about the Pacific Theatre of WW2 or the Korean War.

Some I recommend:

Unknown Soldier (2017) is a Finnish film about the Continuation War (Finland vs USSR, 1941-1944)

Das Boot (1981) is a West German film about a German submarine in the Atlantic in WW2. Most people are probably familiar with this one.

I found Mosul to be pretty good. Its on netflix

The Last Samurai
Commander of the World? (Russell wission)

I can’t name them but they are a bunch of old movies in Spanish about theirs wars pancho villa and Santa Cruz.

All quiet on the western front is amazing. Its on netflix so I just expected it to be kinda crap but it is fantastic. Highly recommend it. The way they use the sound to build tension is incredible. Great movie.

The 1930 version is superior.the Netflix version is way too action focused and misses the anti war Elements of the original

The Boxer, In The Name Of The Father, 1917, All Is Quiet On The Western Front, Come And See, Men Behind The Sun, Sunday Bloody Sunday , Gallipoli, Seven Years In Tibet, 71', Downfall

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are some good ones in there. I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Dunkirik. Was it that much of a flop? I've seen it anyway and thought it was decent. I've also seen Enemy at the Gates, Zulu and Beneath Hill 60. Didn't really feel the hype for Enemy at the Gates but it was one of the first big films to cover the Eastern Front I suppose. Zulu is a classic and Beneath Hill 60 was good.

Will definitely check out 1917 and All Quiet on the Western Front - maybe Cross of Iron and some of the Australian films too! Some others in time as well.

Back