What are basic jujitsu techniques I should learn?

I don't have an instructor, but I do have someone to practice jujitsu with. I have taken jujitsu before for a short time, but couldn't continue because of financial reasons, so I know a few sweeps.

But what are some basic sweeps, guard pass techniques I should learn? Basically what are bread and butter moves to learn? I don't want to learn something like the rubber guard, just a few sweeps or other simple but effective techniques to learn really well.

I have a Gi but my partner doesn't, so learning different holds isn't something that would be hard to learn. We generally do no-gi.

I had sorta the same issue, I've grappled with wrestlers, but I've never actually trained in BJJ, Judo, whatnot (I myself am thinking about learning Judo for grappling though.)

I'm actually qualified in only in Goju-Ryu Karate-Do (there is a tiny bit of grappling in there, perhaps some of it is Judo being included, but still it's nowhere near the amount of grappling as per Judo or BJJ, TJJJ, etc. but enough that it should be acknowledged and way more than KungFu, which depending on the sub-style has almost none -not too sure about Shotokan-Karate, I practiced GojuRyu...but it's practiced fairly minimal even where I was at, maybe about 15-20 times/classes a year, maybe more, but only if you went 4 or more times a week).

As for the basic sweeps and guard pass techniques learn how to position yourself (say if you're on the ground) and learn how and more importantly when to swivel your hips then you can move for a rotation (maybe not to end up in full-mount, or half-guard, but you'll be in a better position than just on the bottom) difficult to describe in text - but I saw Big Nog use something similar on Couture (if forget which round) if you watch that fight, you'll know what I'm referring to (I don't even think he brought his knees in close before he did the roll-reversal thingy).

Perhaps focusing on guard positioning would be better, since that's where most people (again if you're on the ground and want to sweep) will have the toughest time performing, and that's where you'll have to start from before a sweep (if you're on the ground - back facing down - Machida did it to Sokoudjou, I'm surprised) Also learning how to control if you're the one on top, to maintain top-position, forcing you're weight down, etc.

You probably already have read this but whatthehey Guard (grappling)

As for the 'bread and butter moves' however I just know the basics (some of these are more wrestling and grappling in genreral) in Alphabeta,

• Anaconda-Choke
  • Ankle/Leg/Foot-Lock
  • Armbar
  • Chicken-Wing
  • Figure-4
  • Gogoplata
  • Guillotine
  • Hammerlock
  • Juji-Gatame
  • Katagatame
  • Kimura
  • Omaplata
  • Rear-Naked-Choke
  • Triangle-Choke
  • (Maybe one or two more than that, but that's it.)

Beyond that, I think Eddie Bravo has some good stuff on that (and that guy thinks BJJ has become stale...)
10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

I also know this one I'm not sure what you call it, but it's like a guillotine but you compress your knee (you don't knee or hit them, but you use it for pressure) into their chest (or stomach, but higher) while their on the ground. Also, you can restrict your opponents waist (and potentially breathing) with your legs, if your in full-guard.

***​

Besides, I'm not sure if you're planning on making an MMA-transit, or you're just doing this as a hobby like 99% of everyone else here that wants to train, but you have to ask yourself, of the many BJJ and grappling manuvers, while it's better if you know more, realistically how much of that do you actually see successfully employed in MMA?

prodbig2.jpg

I forget but I think there's a book (and possibly a DVD but that might not be by the same guy/studio/production-company) with 1001 BJJ and other submissions...I wonder is it even possible (for the average guy) to memorize, even 1/10th of that!?

I read a saying once attributed to Bruce Lee "I do not fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once. I may however, fear the man who has practiced 1 kick 10,000 times." Or something to that effect.

***​

Last as for the eternal debate Gi Vs. No-Gi...Both is probably the better way to go. First Gi, when you're learning the basics, then if you decide to go pro; No-gi. The key issue of concern for me would be, and I'm no doctor but I'm not sure of any 'skin-irritations' that may occur either way, but if some rash were to occur I'd assumed it'd be more likely the result of grappling with No-Gi. So I wouldn't wanna risk it, unless I went pro and had to create as realistic a situation to actual MMA.

By the way, in Japan many Judoka and even some Karateka who compete in MMA train with (and I suppose without a Gi sometimes, unless they're still learning) but they often still fight with a Gi on during the actual fight.

Hidehiko Yoshida for example, and that guys a legend (despite his MMA record).

Over here in the west, I've noticed many people tend to train with a Gi when learning but fight without one.

Personally, I kind of like Gi-fighting though...You have better traction although your movement can be limited, and I only fought with a Karate Gi, so Judo/BJJ Gis might be a lot heavier, so you might not want to be bogged down with all that baggage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back