What are basic jujitsu techniques I should learn?

Steak**

Red Belt
Reaction score
I don't have an instructor, but I do have someone to practice jujitsu with. I have taken jujitsu before for a short time, but couldn't continue because of financial reasons, so I know a few sweeps.

But what are some basic sweeps, guard pass techniques I should learn? Basically what are bread and butter moves to learn? I don't want to learn something like the rubber guard, just a few sweeps or other simple but effective techniques to learn really well.

I have a Gi but my partner doesn't, so learning different holds isn't something that would be hard to learn. We generally do no-gi.

shoot take down, pass guard, chest on chest, triangle, arm bar.. ect..

BUTTTTT IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMEONE TEACHING YOU.. YOU WONT BE DOING IT RIGHT.

brazilian jiu jitsu or traditional jujitsu?

practice the standard controls; mount, side control, back mount, knee on belly, guard.

learn a few basic sweeps at each position where you can sweep.

learn a few basic submissions, (armbars from mount/ guard, triangle from mount/guard, RNC from back mount)

find someone to teach you

I know the actual moves.

I don't live by a place that teaches jujitsu. Or they are taught by like a blue belt and it's not really jujitsu.

I'm not interested in "Self-Defense" or "traditional" jujitsu, I'm interested in sport jujitsu.

This wasn't really meant to be some really in depth thread, I was just wondering if their are a few specific sweeps or guard passes a noob should learn. Or if I should just google a couple and just learn whatever.

double leg takedown, single leg takedown, guard pull
scissor sweep, basic guard pass, standing guard pass, guillotine, armbar from mount and guard, triangle, katagatame, and kimura.

if you want to get a little frisky, add omoplata

I know the actual moves.

I don't live by a place that teaches jujitsu. Or they are taught by like a blue belt and it's not really jujitsu.

I'm not interested in "Self-Defense" or "traditional" jujitsu, I'm interested in sport jujitsu.

If you're not interested in traditional jujitsu then spell it "Jiu-jitsu" not jujitsu. Pick up a copy of "Jiu-jitsu University" by Saulo Ribiero. One of the most comprehensive books out there on BJJ.

you'll wanna learn tapouts, as many different kinds as you can, even the japanese ones. also I hear there is this russian tapout called the Sambo - fedor used it on coleman I believe, back when they had a rematch in DREAM

oh also learn some takedowns, and then some takedown defense. those are pretty important as well. if you can speak japanese, then find someone to teach you this move called Judo. it's like this trip takedown, very technical. you can learn this stuff from shawn tompkins at the TapouT training center in vegas, he taught randy "The Natural" couture how to wrestle

:icon_neut

scissor sweep, basic guard pass, standing guard pass, guillotine, armbar from mount and guard, triangle, katagatame, and kimura.

I know the actual submissions, and I know wrestling, but thanks for the recomendations on guard passes.

When we wrestled at the jujitsu place I was at, it was the only time I didn't get destroyed. They just started teaching wrestling when I started and it was funny how bad the top jujitsu guys were at wrestling. I thought it was strange since you generally need to take it to the ground before you can use jujitsu.

Going against anything higher then a blue belt the only move I pulled off was a sit out when he was about to get my back. Otherwise it was a slow destruction against purple belts, and against brown belts I was instantly tapped out. Black belts never really tried against me, they just tried helping out and left openings to see if I'd see them.

I was going to say foot-stomp and head-butt, but your list is probably better :D

oh also learn some takedowns, and then some takedown defense. those are pretty important as well. if you can speak japanese, then find someone to teach you this move called Judo. it's like this trip takedown, very technical. you can learn this stuff from shawn tompkins at the TapouT training center in vegas, he taught randy "The Natural" couture how to wrestle

I'm just asking for some simple advice. I know some judo, and some wrestling. You aren't being clever.

This wasn't really meant to be some really in depth thread, I was just wondering if their are a few specific sweeps or guard passes a noob should learn. Or if I should just google a couple and just learn whatever.

ok apparently my post meant nothing

learn a mountaineer sweep, scissor sweep, upa, elbow knee escape, armbar from guard, armbar from mount, triangle from guard, kimura from guard, learn how to do the control positions correctly.

learning from a blue belt is bette than teaching yourself... and how do you know if it's real bjj or not?

I know the actual submissions, and I know wrestling, but thanks for the recomendations on guard passes.

Yeah, but you don't know them. I thought the same thing, having come from a wrestling background and studied MMA and bjj instructional. I thought I knew how to do all the basics. I didn't.

Guillotine, armbar, triangle. Hip bump sweep. Basic stand-up guard break. Knee slide pass, and double underhook pass. Those are some absolute basics. But if you're just training with you're friend, you're not going to learn them well.

learning from a blue belt is bette than teaching yourself... and how do you know if it's real bjj or not?

Because my brother took the class and what he described was stupid. I could explain, but it's just a backwards type of gym. They do death moves and akido type stuff. If I can't train on live oppenent I don't want to learn it.

learn a mountaineer sweep, scissor sweep, upa, elbow knee escape,

Alright I will, thanks.

armbar from guard, armbar from mount, triangle from guard, kimura from guard, learn how to do the control positions correctly.

I know this stuff, except for "controlling positions correctly."

Yeah, but you don't know them. I thought the same thing, having come from a wrestling background and studied MMA and bjj instructional. I thought I knew how to do all the basics. I didn't.

Guillotine, armbar, triangle. Hip bump sweep. Basic stand-up guard break. Knee slide pass, and double underhook pass. Those are some absolute basics. But if you're just training with you're friend, you're not going to learn them well.

Yeah I realize that. I went against a brown belt in a rear naked choke type drill and in the start position I would have his back. It would take him like a second to get out. When it was his turn, he tapped me pretty much instantly. I understand that. That's why I just wanted some basic sweeps. Just some stuff to work on. I know I can't become an expert training myself. I will go to a gym when it is possible. I was just saying I physically know how to do an arm bar, rear naked choke, ect. I know though, that there is much more to it though.

Because my brother took the class and what he described was stupid. I could explain, but it's just a backwards type of gym. They do death moves and akido type stuff. If I can't train on live oppenent I don't want to learn it.

Alright I will, thanks.

I know this stuff, except for "controlling positions correctly."

And i'm sure you not checking out the class yourself helps.... believe me you aren't going to learn anything the right way teaching yourself... but what do i know i'm just a purple belt...

Yeah I realize that. I went against a brown belt in a rear naked choke type drill and in the start position I would have his back. It would take him like a second to get out. When it was his turn, he tapped me pretty much instantly. I understand that. That's why I just wanted some basic sweeps. Just some stuff to work on. I know I can't become an expert training myself. I will go to a gym when it is possible. I was just saying I physically know how to do an arm bar, rear naked choke, ect. I know though, that there is much more to it though.

If you're looking for some more sweeps, a lot of them come from an open guard. I don't know your experience level so I wouldn't know if you're ready for even using an open guard yet. From a closed guard one of my best sweeps is an omoplata. It's technically a submission, but I usually only get the sub if I'm a lot more experienced than them, and I mostly use it as a sweep.

From butterfly guard I use the hook sweep (sumi gaeshi), or an arm drag. I consider them both fairly basic as far as open guard sweeps go.

And i'm sure you not checking out the class yourself helps.... believe me you aren't going to learn anything the right way teaching yourself... but what do i know i'm just a purple belt...

Well I'm not going to just sit around. But I'm not saying you are wrong.

The school I went to before was in California, now I'm in Wisconsin. It was actually pretty cheap to take unlimited classes, and I wish I could go back, but obviously I can't.

Well, this thread probably ran it's course. I will look up the sweeps and practice them. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Back