What approximate level is Ngannou's jiujitsu and wrestling respectively?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about both as rather non existent. However, no real in-depth information on it either, just mere descriptions.

As far as I understand it, Ngannou relies on brute strength and very basic rudimentaries to handle the wrestling part if needed, and his Jiujitsu is even more rudimentary than that. The problem with both is that once he gasses out, there's no brute strength compensation left and his game falls apart. But he does train both extensively, does he not?

I can't imagine his BJJ is particularly crisp given he hasn't been in the martial arts long, and seems to really favor his striking. His wrestling is also probablyn still pretty green, but his massive power helps him mask his weaknesses in grappling. I could be wrong though, i don't actually follow the guy outside of what pops up here on sherdog.

Ngannou doesn't need to be a D1 wrestler or BJJ blackbelt to become champ. He just needs good enough TDD to keep the fight on the feet, where he has an overwelming advantage over everyone in the division. This narrative that he needs really good wrestling to be champ is fucking retarded.

A few months ago he was using his extra free time to get more mass. Which is probably the worst thing for him to be doing now. He might improve his wrestling, but he doesnt seem super intent on actual grappling. Hopefully he can develope an awesome TDD like cro-cop did.

Dude had never done combat sports/sports until 2013.(he just did novice boxing like in like 1 year in his teens, really amateur shit).

He was still able to survive and do well against Stipe, a Privileged first worlder who has done combat sports/sports his whole life.

So his wrestling/BJJ is pretty good...He has pulled some nice subs in the UFC.

Its probably tough for ngannou to realize the need for more grappling training. Most bjj schools don’t have a ton of massive people if any. Being the size ngannou is he can get away with not knowing anything.

There's been a lot of talk about both as rather non existent. However, no real in-depth information on it either, just mere descriptions.

As far as I understand it, Ngannou relies on brute strength and very basic rudimentaries to handle the wrestling part if needed, and his Jiujitsu is even more rudimentary than that. The problem with both is that once he gasses out, there's no brute strength compensation left and his game falls apart. But he does train both extensively, does he not?

His ju jitsu skills far surpass any HW in division. He just hasn’t had to USE them yet.

Also armbar, guillotine and arm triangle. I say he is nearly Mike Perry level on the ground

With his style it would be a lot more useful to have defensive BJJ but we haven't really seen any from him. His defensive wrestling is okay but he could become more technical to not gas so fast.

Don't need wrestling when you have a black belt with them hands... ;) But heck, never heard him even mention it... and didn't need it against monsters like Velasquez or Blaydes.

Its probably tough for ngannou to realize the need for more grappling training. Most bjj schools don’t have a ton of massive people if any. Being the size ngannou is he can get away with not knowing anything.

He couldn't against the very best.

Back