• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What’s Worse Than Passing a Kidney Stone?

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
Passing two at the same time

IMG_9844.jpeg

o2pvg.jpg

But it gets better:

IMG_9848.jpeg

FqOZ2JvXoAY66-s

Fuck my life

Ouch.

I've had 16 of them during my lifetime.

The most painful one was after a lithotripsy procedure (laser that shatters the stone in your kidney so you dont pass it).

One lithotripsy I did, the stone didnt quite shatter to dust. Half the stone remained, very jagged now...and absolutely shredded its way through my ureter.

Spent 14 hours in emergency doped up on morphine in the most pain I'd ever been in, in my life.

What's your pain level out of 10 the nurse asked. 14 I said.

The morphine brought it down to a 9/10.

Got to try a new thing called fentanal, at the time. Not much different than the morphine really.

Morphine is a great buzz, it's too bad the excruciating agony ruins the buzz, so you can't really enjoy it in peace. <45>

I had a thread on this awhile back. Can’t believe you got two of them. I changed my diet after it. Well for awhile. I love beer.

I have a thread in the dietary place about what kind of stuff you should eat if you had a kidney stone and want to avoid future ones. Hasn’t come back since so, maybe it’s got a point.

@Gene Tunney, he knows a thing or two about this.

I heard if you sit in really hot water like a hot tub they pass much easier. Never had one though

Ouch.

I've had 16 of them during my lifetime.

The most painful one was after a lithotripsy procedure (laser that shatters the stone in your kidney so you dont pass it).

One lithotripsy I did, the stone didnt quite shatter to dust. Half the stone remained, very jagged now...and absolutely shredded its way through my ureter.

Spent 14 hours in emergency doped up on morphine in the most pain I'd ever been in, in my life.

What's your pain level out of 10 the nurse asked. 14 I said.

The morphine brought it down to a 9/10.

Got to try a new thing called fentanal, at the time. Not much different than the morphine really.

Morphine is a great buzz, it's too bad the excruciating agony ruins the buzz, so you can't really enjoy it in peace. <45>

denzel-washington-training-day.gif

I’ve lost track of how many I’ve passed. It’s probably around 15 at this point. I had my first in 2010 when I was 25 years old. I had one this past October and another in November but neither of them hurt much. This one (two it seems?) have hurt the most since one I passed in March 2017 that took 9 days to pass and cost me 4 sick days at work. These ones though could surpass it as I first started passing them on April 30th but thought I had just thrown out my back from doing yard work. It wasn’t until May 5th when I saw blood in my urine that I realized it was another stone. I hadn’t missed any work to a stone since November 2019 but this week I missed Monday and Tuesday when the pain shot up to a ten. I think in total from Monday at 8:30am to Tuesday at 10am I must have vomited 30 times.

I had lithotripsy once on a stone back in 2012, but luckily nothing like what you had happened to me. Not sure if I should start looking at it again to take care of some of these others.

I’ve been seeing a nephrologist for about 6 or 7 years. Maybe it’s about time I start listening to him and cut out all fluids other than lemon water and to up my water intake to 4 litres (one gallon) per day likes he’s been begging me to for years. Fucking doctor know it alls.

At least I’m all set, my doctor prescribed me enough percocets to kill a moose.

Never had a kidney stone, but the worst pain I ever had was when my kidneys almost shut down from dehydration. You know the pain you get when you have a bad muscle cramp? Now imagine every muscle in your body cramping at basically the same time......over.....and over......and over again for hours straight. I literally wanted to die (and thought I was going to).

denzel-washington-training-day.gif

I’ve lost track of how many I’ve passed. It’s probably around 15 at this point. I had my first in 2010 when I was 25 years old. I had one this past October and another in November but neither of them hurt much. This one (two it seems?) have hurt the most since one I passed in March 2017 that took 9 days to pass and cost me 4 sick days at work. These ones though could surpass it as I first started passing them on April 30th but thought I had just thrown out my back from doing yard work. It wasn’t until May 5th when I saw blood in my urine that I realized it was another stone. I hadn’t missed any work to a stone since November 2019 but this week I missed Monday and Tuesday when the pain shot up to a ten. I think in total from Monday at 8:30am to Tuesday at 10am I must have vomited 30 times.

I had lithotripsy once on a stone back in 2012, but luckily nothing like what you had happened to me. Not sure if I should start looking at it again to take care of some of these others.

I’ve been seeing a nephrologist for about 6 or 7 years. Maybe it’s about time I start listening to him and cut out all fluids other than lemon water and to up my water intake to 4 litres (one gallon) per day likes he’s been begging me to for years. Fucking doctor know it alls.

At least I’m all set, my doctor prescribed me enough percocets to kill a moose.

Damn, thought I was the only one with freak kidneys.

The thing I hate, all the years and urologists I've seen, they cant give an answer as to why it's happening. What i need to STOP doing.

One thing i stopped doing that helped, was my sodium intake. Ate terribly when I was younger... canned soups, TV dinners, all these processed high sodium foods.

Stopping that helped (cook my own meals, make my own soups.)

Tooth pain is worse imo, kidney stones are no joke though.

If it makes you feel better, I have experienced both of the surgeries and passed a 13 mm stone on my own (smooth and round, otherwise would have likely lost kidney #1). Stone issues are occasionally correlated with an underlying digestive issue (I'm not a doctor).

Renal colic, tooth, and throat pain are the worst. Half of the stones I've passed were more uncomfortable than painful. Beyond the colic, it can become dicey when the stone approaches the bladder and the urethra. Especially when a large flat or pointed stone becomes obstructed in the middle of the urethra.

There are few instances more psychologically cathartic in life than passing a big kidney stone.

You have to find the right diet, which you cannot deviate from (I still produce stones, but of the smaller variety).

Last edited:
Food poisoning is worse in cases, like a knife being staked in your side until you somehow dry heave your guts out.You feel like you’re on the verge of death and begging to any god out there to please let you get through this I’ll promise I’ll turn my life around .

Had 3 so far. Last one was the worst. Because the hospital fucked up, sent me home early, and forgot to give me the scripts to help pass it.

As an aside, I literally just watched the Deadwood episode where they remove a kidney stone by sticking some tweezers up the pee hole. Fuck that.

Food poisoning is worse in cases, like a knife being staked in your side until you somehow dry heave your guts out.You feel like you’re on the verge of death and begging to any god out there to please let you get through this I’ll promise I’ll turn my life around .

Well that’s pretty much how some kidney stones go. I threw up and/or dry heaved about 30 separate times Monday into Tuesday, all the while feeling like inward being stabbed in the gut and the back.

Back