What’s with bellators prospects not panning out?

Aj Agazarm, Ed Ruth, Aaron Pico, MVP and James Gallagher are all fighters who have either taken an early L, multiple L’s or just got plain KTFO.

What’s going on with their matchmaking and why are these dudes not panning out?

They have talents and Bellators matchmakers have no clue how to build fighters

They should be embarrassed with the way they’ve booked MVP. He’s been with Bellator for 7 years now and is still being matched up with mediocre fighters as if he’s still a young up and comer. The few times he’s fought legit competition he got wrestlefucked by Paul freaking Daley or got KTFO altogether.

The most protected can crusher in MMA history.

His opponents have talents and Bellator does not like that.

MVP lost to a very good fighter, he just went back to fighting cans. Wouldn't say he is a bust yet.

Also why are you not talking about their prospects that have worked out, like AJ McKee, Nemkov or Amosov?

Matchups. Bellator doesnt have the depth of UFC, so they get harder fights on the roster

I think the biggest problem is probably the competition gap from the UFC to Bellator. There are some great fighters in Bellator, don't get me wrong, and maybe a dozen or so could find real success in the UFC, but even some of the top guys for Bellator aren't very well known to casuals and even those fans that fall between hardcore and casual.

So what happens is they are trying to make stars that can draw numbers (ratings and money), but barring a huge signing from another promotion, that will take time. So when they see these guys with amazing skill sets in a certain aspect of martial arts that come in and win a fight or two, they get the hype train behind them hoping that this prospect develops into a full blown star. But betting on young fighters comes with a big risk/reward aspect. If they lose, people lose faith in them because you over hyped them, but if they keep winning and all goes to plan, then a few years down the line the promotion now has a big star that can draw both good ratings and good money for the promotion.

Personally I think Ruth management and his team at AKA don't know what they are doing when they match him up! He should have never fought the guys he fought so soon. Yes he probably dominates the matts over at AKA but that does not mean he is ready for guys like Gracie, Amasov , or the 185ers!

Ruth needs to leave AKA! But he is a real talent for sure!

I think the biggest problem is probably the competition gap from the UFC to Bellator. There are some great fighters in Bellator, don't get me wrong, and maybe a dozen or so could find real success in the UFC, but even some of the top guys for Bellator aren't very well known to casuals and even those fans that fall between hardcore and casual.

So what happens is they are trying to make stars that can draw numbers (ratings and money), but barring a huge signing from another promotion, that will take time. So when they see these guys with amazing skill sets in a certain aspect of martial arts that come in and win a fight or two, they get the hype train behind them hoping that this prospect develops into a full blown star. But betting on young fighters comes with a big risk/reward aspect. If they lose, people lose faith in them because you over hyped them, but if they keep winning and all goes to plan, then a few years down the line the promotion now has a big star that can draw both good ratings and good money for the promotion.

It's more about Scott Coker and his team can not define talents

Adam Borics has talent, 1-2 win and he should earn a title. Will that happen ladies and gentlemen? No because they do not care.

Ufc made Petr Yan a champion because he has talent AND Ufc can define the English word of talent.

Adam Borics has talent, 1-2 win and he should earn a title. Will that happen ladies and gentlemen? No because they do not care.

Ufc made Petr Yan a champion because he has talent AND Ufc can define the English word of talent.
I think Borics is a bit away from being title ready. Give him someone like Soren Bak.

well thats the difference when you are beating guys with the goofiest looking "KO's" versus someone thats going to actually fight back

you cant convince me that funny business isnt going on over there at Bellator

I'd rate Pitbull, McKee, Sanchez, Caldwell at the very least over Borics. I think new signing Justin Gonzales could probably beat him too.

Bellator usually has prospects that are coming from other disciplines and get their high hype very quickly. We saw it in UFC with Gokhan Saki too. It's different when you're talking about a prospect in UFC, let's say Khamzat Chimaev, who is a tried and tested MMA fighter before he stepped in the cage. Bellator has all that hype behind guys who really have yet to prove themselves as MMA fighters, and as a result we often see them take standard losses.

Bellator usually has prospects that are coming from other disciplines and get their high hype very quickly. We saw it in UFC with Gokhan Saki too. It's different when you're talking about a prospect in UFC, let's say Khamzat Chimaev, who is a tried and tested MMA fighter before he stepped in the cage. Bellator has all that hype behind guys who really have yet to prove themselves as MMA fighters, and as a result we often see them take standard losses.

Yeah that's true, it would be unusual (though not impossible, especially in WMMA) for the UFC to sign someone with no pro-record, but Bellator does it all the time. AJ McKee, Ed Ruth, Christian Edwards, Joey Davis, Tyrell Fortune, Chris Brennan, Aaron Pico, Denise Kielholtz and a bunch of others all made their MMA debuts in Bellator. Obviously when taking a bunch of people who did well in other disciplines or have famous dads, some will pan out, some won't.

Back