Were would u rank this generation of LHWs compared to the last?

Way less skilled.

The notion that the sport has evolved laughably fails at LHW, which is atrocious now. Jones is too big and roided, DC is good, but who after these big boys? Gus, who's best win is an old Glover?

LHW used to be great.

Don't forget about his pure old-school defense of blocking punches with his face. He had some good head movement at times but he loved to brawl more than anything.
Blocking punchs with his face? He had some of the best cover and tole defensive boxing in all of Mma. Rampage fought from in the pocket your bound to get hit eventualy

This. Until his last fight Shogun was in the running for a title shot. You guys talking about how much the game has evolved are being silly when we literally have a shell of an old school fighter doing well

In the running for a title shot? Really? With a non-impressive win against over the hill Little Nog, a split decision against Corey and stopping Villante (which we saw tonight, even some no name from Poland can do) is close to a title shot? That's at a rate of one fight per year, too. After losing twice in 2014. Granted, LHW wasn't full of contenders, but in no way was Shogun even remotely close to a title shot.

In the running for a title shot? Really? With a non-impressive win against over the hill Little Nog, a split decision against Corey and stopping Villante (which we saw tonight, even some no name from Poland can do) is close to a title shot? That's at a rate of one fight per year, too. After losing twice in 2014. Granted, LHW wasn't full of contenders, but in no way was Shogun even remotely close to a title shot.
That's exactly my point. I think he was around #5 in the rankings after those ones, which puts him one big win from a title shot.

Shogun was ranked #4 as recent as 2017. He was, in reality, a single victory away from a title shot at that time period. That is the world we live in.

The LHW division was best when it had Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Vitor Belfort and Rampage Jackson at or near the top of the division..

Prime Liddell, Couture and Belfort were all capable of beating today's Jones on a good night. Maybe even prime Rampage - and with Jones and Rampage in a feud the press conferences leading up to the fight would have been classic.

Too bad Jones faced Belfort as late in Belfort's career as he did. Even so, Belfort could have, and should have won that fight by submission.

I think the new generation is less skilled but have a bigger punchers chance.

Jones faced lots of guys like Shogun, Sonnen, Belfort, Rashad, Bader who can KO you, of course, but some dude like Walker or Santos, who just unload bombs, have a higher chance of getting that KO.

Nah not a chance, prime rampage got good hands but that's pretty much it. He's very slow with his footwork and boxing, a good technical striker like Jan would've schooled any version of rampage

The Rampage that took the title from Chuck would've flatlined Jan..

Terrible. Weakest star wise and talent wise. It was at it's best when there was Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, Machida, Griffin etc got weaker when Jones went on a tear but was still interesting to boil down between him, DC, Gus and Rumble now there's literally no one left. Walker and Reyes have potential but likely don't get past final boss pico gram Jones

He was, actually. There were absolutely no contenders. It took Volkan just 3 wins to get a title shot. If not for him, we might’ve seen Shogun fight for the title again.

When Jon jones won the belt from:
Shogun, Machida, belfort, Rampage, Evans (wasnt all in their prime but still very dangerous)

How would they compare to todays prospect Lhw fighters?? Are they weaker or stronger?
Johnny Walker, Reyes, Thiago Santos, Ankaleav, oleksiejczuk
Stronger.

Walker, Reyes and Rakic (you forgot him) are 2018 sized LHWs.

Machida, Belfort, Shogun and Rashad were glorified MWs. 3 of them made MW without issues and Shogun is the king of dadbods.

Sucky/10

LHW is as stacked as HW now.

Nah not a chance, prime rampage got good hands but that's pretty much it. He's very slow with his footwork and boxing, a good technical striker like Jan would've schooled any version of rampage

Don't forget about his pure old-school defense of blocking punches with his face. He had some good head movement at times but he loved to brawl more than anything.

Rampage had some of the best boxing in the LHW division while in his prime. His hands were faster than you are remembering. He had a granite chin and was actually quite sound defensively. He'd cover up well in the pocket and then counter guys with devastating hooks. He was a bad dude in his prime.

The sports evolved. I loved Rampage in his early days but he'd have his hands full with the cans at LHW nowadays.

LMAO. LHW and HW have devolved.

Rampage
Shogun
Chuck
Wanderlei
Hendo
Arona
Lil Nog
Randy
Vitor

Would all be top 10 in their prime and would absolutely maul the trash that exists below Jones, Gus and maybe Glover. LHW is terrible.

Rampage had some of the best boxing in the LHW division while in his prime. His hands were faster than you are remembering. He had a granite chin and was actually quite sound defensively. He'd cover up well in the pocket and then counter guys with devastating hooks. He was a bad dude in his prime.

Those 2 guys believe new guys are always better than old despite the evidence to suggest otherwise.

didn't shogun get subbed by forrest griffin? i don't think any of today's LHWs lose to forrest griffin

Didn't GSP lose to Matt Serra? I don't think any of today's WWs lose to Matt Serra.

A fluke performance doesn't define a fighters generation. Anthony Smith has lost to guys I've never heard of. Much worse than Forrest in his prime. As have all the other current LHW contenders.

Didn't GSP lose to Matt Serra? I don't think any of today's WWs lose to Matt Serra.

A fluke performance doesn't define a fighters generation. Anthony Smith has lost to guys I've never heard of. Much worse than Forrest in his prime. As have all the other current LHW contenders.

that's because today's WW would smash GSP just like today's LHW would smash shogun

plus it was not a fluke performance. got tapped by chael too and tapped by jones

When Jon jones won the belt from:
Shogun, Machida, belfort, Rampage, Evans (wasnt all in their prime but still very dangerous)

How would they compare to todays prospect Lhw fighters?? Are they weaker or stronger?
Johnny Walker, Reyes, Thiago Santos, Ankaleav, oleksiejczuk

If today's generation is better we don't know yet.

I'd say that last gen was very hard to beat. There were like 15-20 top LHW's the big four emerged from. The division from 2008-2011 was something very very special.

Maybe this one can surpass the Jones, Rumble, Gus, DC, Davis, Bader, OSP generation that came in between that one was pretty top heavy but the gen with Rampage, Shad, Machida, Shogun, T Silva, Forrest, Hammill etc was totally stacked. Bisping started out as a LHW who was undefeated and who went down after dropping a split to Shad. Wandy and Soku were coming from Pride. Hammill was actually really good he wasn't a GOAT meme for beating Jones by DQ yet. You had guys like Jardine, Alexander, Sakura and Gouiveia who were all contenders at some point or another. That division was just insane in it's depth and I can't picture any division in the UFC ever topping that quality.

Back