Well the police state is officially here, Arkansas to harass citizens out walking

Earthbounder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The USA is well on its way to becoming the new USSR. Obviously we don't have rights anymore. Only privileges. You better have an excuse, a damned good excuse, to be out walking.

http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2012/12/15/top_story/doc50cbbb312e241511092932.txt

"[Police are] going to be in SWAT gear and have AR-15s around their neck," Stovall said. "If you're out walking, we're going to stop you, ask why you're out walking, check for your ID."

Stovall said while some people may be offended by the actions of his department, they should not be.

"We're going to do it to everybody," he said. "Criminals don't like being talked to."

Gaskill backed Stovall's proposed actions during Thursday's town hall.

"They may not be doing anything but walking their dog," he said. "But they're going to have to prove it."

Also:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/12/18/paragould-police-patrols-come-under-fire

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/paragould-arkansas-police-check-everyones-id-2013

Have a little faith, buddy. If this actually turns to practice, it'll get chopped down in court.

Do you really think it will "get chopped down" in court?

Sounds like a pretty clear violation that will be struck down in court (though with SCOTUS lately you never know). Unfortunately in our system someone has to be harassed first and then have the expenses (time and money) to file.

This is yet another reason everyone makes fun of Arkansas for being full of really fucking stupid people. Sorry if you're smart and living there. That must be a bitch.

I'm sure Paragould, Arkansas is a hotbed of criminal activity. Who could blame the mayor and the chief of police for seizing control of this sprawling metropolis of 22,000 souls from the jaws of the notorious Arkansas crime families?

Do you really think it will "get chopped down" in court?

I really think that this won't end up happening in practice. But if it does, yes, I think the courts will handle it appropriately. And it won't cost an individual anything, there are plenty of civil liberties groups that would love to spend their money fighting something like this.

This is yet another reason everyone makes fun of Arkansas for being full of really fucking stupid people. Sorry if you're smart and living there. That must be a bitch.

Agreed.

If anyone lives in this backwater town and has an IQ over 90, they should get the hell out of there.

What exactly is going on there (crime wise) to make them take this action, and on what scale is it happening? Is there any more information? Lastly, is there some type of curfew or something where people aren't allowed to go out, and they

We'll see Cop Blockers flocking to Arkansas soon enough to record their encounters with Cletus the slack jawed sheriff.

What exactly is going on there (crime wise) to make them take this action, and on what scale is it happening? Is there any more information? Lastly, is there some type of curfew or something where people aren't allowed to go out, and they

there has to be some shit going on because the citizens in the town want this

it is a sad fucking day when people actually want this, but if crime is so terrible then what is the alternative?

just because it is in bumfuck does not mean it doesn't have a bunch of getto fucking assholes in it from somalia or some shit

all the people whining on here about this, do you have any better ideas?

i just hope the cops shoot some assholes instead of wasting time sending them to jail.

If this became an issue in my state I'd buy a decent video camera and just keep it on hand. When you stand up for your rights and film the situation while doing it, the police tend to be a bit more humble. By law, you do not have to show your I.D. unless you're driving a motor vehicle, or the police have a reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime. The Police can legally lie to you; so don't consent to searches, and if the officers decide to search you anyway, try to make mental notes of everything that happened, their badges numbers, and what they look like. Having a camera or voice recorder to help you remember the details as soon as possible is very handy. But don't make it obvious that you're making mental notes, and never resist because it will only end badly for you if you do. If the police don't want to let you go, simply ask "Am I being detained?" If the officer doesn't answer then simply say that "I'm going to peaceably leave officer." If they try to stop you a second or third time ask the same question "Am I being detained?" The police are there to serve and protect you, not to harass you and diminish your rights, always be willing to stand up for yourself. The Fourth Amendment prevents unreasonable search and seizures by the government, don't forget it.

charging those who refused to answer questions with obstruction of governmental operations.

lol. this is just preposterous.

there has to be some shit going on because the citizens in the town want this

it is a sad fucking day when people actually want this, but if crime is so terrible then what is the alternative?

just because it is in bumfuck does not mean it doesn't have a bunch of getto fucking assholes in it from somalia or some shit

all the people whining on here about this, do you have any better ideas?

i just hope the cops shoot some assholes instead of wasting time sending them to jail.

I don't care if a Hitler junior emerged and there was a Neo-Nazi invasion, that's ridiculous. I'd rather die than be treated like a terrorist every time I wanted to take my kids to the park.

Back