Weighted Pushups - What Do I Need?

zakkwild

White Belt
Reaction score
What equipment do I need for weighted pushups? I've heard guys say they do weighted pushups with an extra 45 to 55 pounds. How do they do these and what sort of weight/resistance do they use?

A backpack may work, you could also try resistance bands or weighted vests. I'm not sure how much weight you should use, try and see what challenges you!

I was pondering the same thing a while back. I am using my regular back pack now, but if you can get one with a waist strap, that would be waaayyy better. I have to be careful the weight doesn't slide off to one side or down toawrds my head. I was doing them weighted with my feet on a chair but it kept sliding to my head so I had to go just flat. A waist strap would eliminate this problem, I would imagine.

I don't know how you would comfortably go heavy on these. I am goign for large sets of very fast pushups and will not need to add huge weights for a while yet.

use a weighted belt if all possible, backpacks are too injury prone and weighted vests are too expensive and compress the spine. Title boxing has a 16 pound weighted belt for 29.99, worth checking out

Someone needs to design something so that fits comfortably on your back and clips on to a smith machine. Adjustable Weighted Vests go up to 100lb these days, so you might want to try one of those.

Spoonman7 said:
use a weighted belt if all possible, backpacks are too injury prone and weighted vests are too expensive and compress the spine. Title boxing has a 16 pound weighted belt for 29.99, worth checking out
You're thinking of pullups right? Why would you use a weighted belt for pushups?

CrazyAZNRedneck said:
Someone needs to design something so that fits comfortably on your back and clips on to a smith machine.
you're fucking with me right? you're fucking with me aren't you? are you fucking with me?

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
i just chuck a plate on to my back

Yar.
Just handle it. Get on your knees and use both hands put a big plate (i use 45) on the middle of your back, and slowly go parallel to the ground in a pushup position. If it slides around, take a moment and adjust it to the middle. Then keep going.
Maybe if you have a partner you can also put a plate on your ass.

Sandbags are good for that sort of thing. I made one for lifting and carrying, then one day it occured to me it might sit better on my back for pushups too. Works pretty well as the weight is distributed a bit more evenly than a weight plate and they don't tend to slide so much.

I often use the belt that I do weighted dips with but instead of having the belt around my waist I loosen the belt and move it up to under my arm pits.

I then Use three benches.

I put two benches side by side about two feet apart and I put my feet on the thrid bench.

So I am now in a push up position on the three benches.

So when I do a push up there is at least the height of the bench to hang a dumbell from the belt that is sitting high just under my arm pits, in between the two benches.

It sounds a little complicated but it's a good way of doing weighted push ups.

Another is to make or buy a weight vest.

if you insist on bodywieght exercisses i suggest moving to more advanced pushups instead of adding wieght. for instance start on your knees now with one hand pushups.

seriously i've tried it before with up to 120lb and all i got was a wieght plate impression in my back. Play with moving your body in different ways, you may be suprized just how hard a workout you can get without any equipment what so ever.

Pushups with backpacks..sounds like you want to join the army. We did TONS of pushups at basic, with fully loaded backpacks, kevlar vests and helmets and of course an M-16A2 across your knuckles. Of course it was hard to keep to any type of routine :)

do handstand push ups hehe or get your little brother/son to sit on ur back.

Get some fat fuck from your gym to sit on your back while you do sets of 8.

I advise someone who weighs at least as much as you do.

Have em sit cross legged facing your feet and leaning forward with their elbows on their knees so that when you go down they do move around at all.

Have em sit high up on your should blades/traps where the squat bar would rest when doing proper squats.

Any other way of doing weighted push ups is ghey.

EOT.

TheNerdKing said:
Get some fat fuck from your gym to sit on your back while you do sets of 8.

I advise someone who weighs at least as much as you do.

Have em sit cross legged facing your feet and leaning forward with their elbows on their knees so that when you go down they do move around at all.

Have em sit high up on your should blades/traps where the squat bar would rest when doing proper squats.

Any other way of doing weighted push ups is ghey.

EOT.

Fuck that. Use your girlfriend.

Back