Weight lifting exercises for the cervical spine?

Home_Slice

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Overhead press?

I hear some advocate "shrugs", but whilst they hit the upper traps, and the upper traps enclose the cervical spine..... unsure how effective that movement is for cervical spine posture/integrity?

Anything overhead I figure, as that's where the attachments for the upper traps come closest together, being the posterior shoulder blade and base of the skull.

You want to extend/flex, extend/flex between these two muscle-attachment points.

Thoughts?

If you have this problem going on with your thoracic and cervical spine, then some type of chin tucks will help more than lifts. Tie a band to a door, post, then bit the band and do a chin tuck.

Also, laying on a gym ball will iron out the kyphosis in the thoracic spine. Hold a weight and reach back overhead can help. Probably do that before the chin tucks to mobilize the spine

c2lzLTIuanBn

If you have this problem going on with your thoracic and cervical spine, then some type of chin tucks will help more than lifts. Tie a band to a door, post, then bit the band and do a chin tuck.

Also, laying on a gym ball will iron out the kyphosis in the thoracic spine. Hold a weight and reach back overhead can help. Probably do that before the chin tucks to mobilize the spine

c2lzLTIuanBn

I can't see them modifying posture long term.

Might be good for some initial mobility?

Long term postural modification would be in muscle development?

I can't see them modifying posture long term.

Might be good for some initial mobility?

Long term postural modification would be in muscle development?
Well you need to mobilize the faulty posture first, then use the bands for chin tucks to strengthen the weak musculature that promotes a proper spine formation

Fixing my scapular muscles with Original Strength fixed my kyphosis after years of spinning my wheels with different physios. I used the regular resets, but really threw myself into stuff like this:

I just do a lot of pull ups. I also like to hang from the pull up bar as long as I can while twisting my back from side to side. It feels amazing

Clean and press. Military press. Push press. Single arm db push press. Bench press. Headstands, handstands, planks, back bridges, wrestler's bridge. Db row. One arm db/kb carry. Front squat. Back squat. The neck muscles are used as stabilisers in all those exercises.

This is a very odd thread.
I don't really know what OP is asking but most of these suggestions will do little to nothing for the cervical spine.

This is a very odd thread.
I don't really know what OP is asking but most of these suggestions will do little to nothing for the cervical spine.

Exercises to correct posture #3:

Forward-Neck-Posture-Img-1.jpg

#1 will be awareness and maintaining proper posture throughout the day.
If you work at a desk, improve the ergonomics.
Upper back work is good
Mobility work is good
Chin tucks are very good (mentioned earlier)

Exercises to correct posture #3:

Forward-Neck-Posture-Img-1.jpg

That's not really your cervical spine, more like thoracic. Just do some deadlifts and hyperextensions and see what happens bruh. Otherwise embrace your hump.

Back