Weight coming off the heels deadlifting

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ive noticed that sometimes my weight seems to come forwards when I deadlift, and that I end up extending my knees before my hip as a result, sort of pushing off the floor with the ball of my foot instead of my heel if that makes sense. This only happens doing deadlifts for reps, when form starts to break down. I guess its caused by me trying to use my quads instead of my glutes and hamstrings to extend my legs when my posterior chain becomes tired, does this sound about right?

Head and chest forward, shoulders pointed and squeezed back, don't hunch or round your shoulders, shins should be right up on the bar. The force should not come from the balls of the feet but to a push motion and lockout with the heels. If you are unable to do this and you round your back, then you need to look at either a) is this too much weight? or b) what other exercises am I doing before this to fatigue me so much that I cannot perform?

How many reps/sets are you doing anyways?

Last edited:
Most likely the bar is getting too far away from your body. This is what is causing the forward lean. What is causing it I don't really know without seeing it. I'd also recommend you check out your footware, as wearing bad shoes for deadlifting can make it worse.

My guess is that when you are tired you are letting your hips shoot up so the weight shifts forward and then you are stiff-legging the pull. My suggestion would be to take a bit more time between reps to make sure everything is tight and your form is bang on or maybe even do shorter sets but more of them so you are less fatigued.

Head and chest forward, shoulders pointed and squeezed back, don't hunch or round your shoulders, shins should be right up on the bar. The force should come from the push motion on the balls of the feet to a lockout with the heels. If you are unable to do this and you round your back, then you need to look at either a) is this too much weight? or b) what other exercises am I doing before this to fatigue me so much that I cannot perform?

How many reps/sets are you doing anyways?

Both parts in the red are dead wrong, no pun intended. Go away.

I am very optimistic that this will help you. Work a lot on increasing the flexibility in your calves, hamstrings, and glutes. You can use the good ol boring static stretches for 30 second sets or so, or if your in the mood for a little pain look up PNF stretching. At the same time work on strengthening all of your hip flexors and espesially your tibialis anterior. I had a similar problem with the back squat (not as much with the front squat) and started trying to remedy the situation by working the tibialis a whole lot. The stretches were the logical next step. Strengthen the tibialis with the knee straight and with it at 90 degrees or a tad more.

To reinforce foot position, which is where solid stance and posture actually start, make a conscious effort to curl your toes up against the tops of your shoes and keep them that way throughout the lift.

To reinforce foot position, which is where solid stance and posture actually start, make a conscious effort to curl your toes up against the tops of your shoes and keep them that way throughout the lift.

Could you describe this a bit more? I'm having trouble picturing exactly what you mean. Ta.

My guess is that when you are tired you are letting your hips shoot up so the weight shifts forward and then you are stiff-legging the pull. My suggestion would be to take a bit more time between reps to make sure everything is tight and your form is bang on or maybe even do shorter sets but more of them so you are less fatigued.

Yeah, I might have to do this. I only ever did deadlifts for heavy singles previously. So I can deadlift more than 100kg (weak I know) for one, but doing 5/3/1 even if I drop my working max way down it still wants me to do 75kg x 5 and I just cant keep good form. I could break it up into 5 singles, but then that doesnt really help me get better at doing bigger sets. Im half wondering about just dropping the weight and doing a standard linear progression focusing on my 5RM, but I dont want to program hop.

Most likely the bar is getting too far away from your body. This is what is causing the forward lean. What is causing it I don't really know without seeing it. I'd also recommend you check out your footware, as wearing bad shoes for deadlifting can make it worse.

I deadlift barefoot, is this a problem?

Again, barefoot, but I bet this is something I can do anyway, thanks.

Regarding the shoulder thing.... I was also always under the impression that you can't pull them back even if you wanted to. Since you wanna squeeze your lats to pull the bar down close to your body. And the lats actually adduct the shoulders and push them forward.

Regarding the shoulder thing.... I was also always under the impression that you can't pull them back even if you wanted to. Since you wanna squeeze your lats to pull the bar down close to your body. And the lats actually adduct the shoulders and push them forward.

Chest up, head forward and you wont hunch. Do this properly and you wont have to worry.

Back