Weidman's Record (15-5)

• Thread starter Deleted member 510653
  • Start date
Lucky? He beat him twice. Weidman is just the way better fighter

gif8.gif

Agreed. Weidman's injury history is one of the worst in the UFC in terms of how often he's been sidelined over the years. The only other two I think have suffered more were Cain and Dom. I hope he retires after the Hall fight, win or lose.

You do know that Weidman still thinks he can't be champion right ? If he wins against Hall he'll probably ask for a TS based on his resume.

He did fight during Anderson's reign and beat him... And saying Weidman would be more succesful during a weaker era makes it sound like he wasn't good enough to dominate the era he peaked in, which is true. Just sounds weak for some reason.

weidman fought anderson after his prime, with the benefit of all the mileage and footage anderson accumulated over the course of his record-setting title reign (andy showed decline beginning with chael, and should have retired after the second chael fight imo). weidman was good, but not that good, and his record reflects that.

Injuries have taken their toll on his career but the fact that he started fighting in the ufc from his 5th fight on and didn't pad his record with buns for 15-20 fights is highly respectable imo.

weidman fought anderson after his prime, with the benefit of all the mileage and footage anderson accumulated over the course of his record-setting title reign (andy showed decline beginning with chael, and should have retired after the second chael fight imo). weidman was good, but not that good, and his record reflects that.
True. Weidman was a product of good timing. As soon as he fought a fighter in his prime he lost.

It was a very short era...

He got into the UFC early, was undefeated, well-rounded, and durable in his prime, and did pretty well until USADA came along. To be fair, a lot of fighters took a noticeable decline in performance once USADA began, especially the Brazilians.

if you view it from a boxing mentality where everyone is 73-0 i suppose but in mma a few losses are completely forgivable. as for inactivity, back to back losses with a few injuries can definitely limit activity.
i guess the bottom line is shit happens.
<Fedor23>

That's a good record considering the opposition, and those losses are only to top contenders with a combined 114-28 record, the only real issue here is that Weidman is 2-7 in the last 5 years, but I still expect him to beat Uriah once again.

I remember Weidman after his fight with Munoz I think.. great elbow ko

He said he had problems with hes knees and surgery, I kinda was thinking he's damaged goods already and was fairly young then

Beat a load of old Brazilians but to be fair they were the best at time until some of the new guys came around.

I'm the biggest Weidman hater here but the dude has been fighting top fighter after top fighter for a long time. No surprise he gets mixed results.

He fought Uriah Hall in his 3rd pro fight and Alessio Sakara (who was on a nice 3 fight streak and arguably a top 20 MW in the world) in his 5th pro fight and UFC debut

he didnt have a padded record beating up on dozens of regional bums like most fighters. He was in the deepend pretty early in his career

Chris has only fought maybe like 3 cans in his entire career which almost no other fighter can say

No doubt, he handed Rockhold an easy takedown and dominant position and got messed up for it. Was impressive he came out for the next round and while compromised, he tried to get back into the fight.

Chris actually had a good chin before that. After that fight it seems to be average at best.

If he loses to Hall he's gotta retire. If he wins he'll think he's back in contention and probably get starched again by whoever (Rob, Till, Vettori, Izzy) he fights next.

I think he would be wise to retire if he wins as well. Go out on a bit of a high note. He'll never get the belt again, and to be fair, I don't see him beating anyone who's currently ranked above Hall.

True. Weidman was a product of good timing. As soon as he fought a fighter in his prime he lost.

its always about timing. weidman got to be champ because anderson started to decline at the right time, just like dan henderson was denied his chance at ufc gold because anderson happened to be champ at the wrong time. its one of the reasons longevity is so important in evaluating a fighters legacy. the longer you can stay on top, the less likely it is that your reign was a product of luck/timing.

i wouldnt go so far as to say that weidman sucks, but honestly many fighters could have accomplished the same feat. weidman will go down as the guy who took down a legend in brief flash of brilliance, but could not fill the shoes. i guess you could say weidman is a product of the matt serra school of championship reigns—literally and figuratively.

It's amazing how one ridiculous attempt at a spinning kick doomed his career. The real blame is on Herb for letting him take an ungodly beating for like 3 minutes. He never recovered from that. I'm thinking Hall prob KO's him. He's too slow now, and can't take a shot.

You might be thinking prime Hall; current day Hall is almost 37 and has slowed a bit. Weidman most likely gets him down and grinds out a UD.

It just looks so bad.. I mean 15 wins, that's it, and he's been around forever now.

5 big losses with 3 title defenses, which is good for a mw, but that 5 losses overshadows the 15 wins, most of which are before he hit the tank.

It's such a weird record.. I don't know what to say. He's got the 2 biggest wins in the company but yeah, 5 losses and I don't even know who that dude was he beat last year. It's crazy man.

Are you drunk? Just asking.

15-5 isn't bad record, especially considering the quality of wins he has and the opposition that he lost to. I don't like the Chris, and he's looked like shit lately, but his record overall isn't bad.

It's amazing how one ridiculous attempt at a spinning kick doomed his career. The real blame is on Herb for letting him take an ungodly beating for like 3 minutes. He never recovered from that. I'm thinking Hall prob KO's him. He's too slow now, and can't take a shot.
Haha, honestly Weidman vs Hall interest be because Weidman is shot (mentally and physically at this point), but Hall is a total head-case and performs depending completely on where his head is on that day/week/month. So this fight has some weird factors. I'm suspecting that Hall will win, because Weidman has shown a propensity to stand and bang way too much, and Hall is vastly superior in that department. . . but if Weidman lands one takedown, or Hall had an existential crisis earlier this month, then he could just stand there looking like he's seen a ghost while Weidman takes him down ad nauseum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back